Vachira Phuket Hospital to review ‘lack of attention’ explosive rant by elderly man

webfact

Vachira Phuket Hospital to review ‘lack of attention’ explosive rant by elderly man

By The Phuket News

1536730028_1-org.jpg

Police were called to Vachira Phuket Hospital last night to intervene in the incident. Screengrab: Chef Saeng Singkwandam (Smoking dark lion) / Facebook

PHUKET: Senior officials at Vachira Phuket Hospital in Phuket Town are reviewing an incident last night during which an elderly man verbally abused staff at the hospital for what appears to have been lack of attention.

Vachira Phuket Hospital is the leading government hospital on the island.

Police were called to intervene in the incident, which occurred in front of the hospital’s Accident & Emergency Unit between 10pm and 11pm.

Read more at https://www.thephuketnews.com/vachira-phuket-hospital-to-review-lack-of-attention-explosive-rant-by-elderly-man-68599.php#SmFmzFoSyCZWQUO3.99

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2018-09-12

5 hours ago, stevenl said:

Hospital staff there is quite often swamped. So no surprise somebody who doesn't seem to need emergency care is left waiting for some time.

So How does one Define emergency care,,,, Sometimes one can't see the emergency on the Inside of the Body,,, Someone Died last week  from an emergency that they didn't take  Serious.Hospitals here are always busy even with an appointment  waiting times 3,4,5, Hrs depending on the day.

• Like 1

At my local hospital, 6th year students man "doctors stations", while A&E has nurses do most jobs, then report to a doctor.

It was at a high end hospital in Bangkok where they wasted precious HOURS after I got delivered by an ambulance. The volunteer manned ambulance had taken me to the nearest government hospital. There they performed  r e p e a t e d & utterly useless exrays.

Later, it boiled down to the staff wanting to let some "top doc" handle the case. And the bill was over 5,000 € for 2 nights.

Praise for government hospitals vs momey making places.

Drama at Phuket hospital: Rudeness claims as old man swipes out at nurses

CiHZjUdJ5HPNXJ92GTK9Ye5FB8BOYfEG5o.jpg

Picture: Thai Rath

CCTV footage that ended up on Facebook showed the moment that a Thai man swiped out at two nurses on duty outside an ER room.

Still unhappy about not being let into ER to see a relative the man then storms in and has to be led away by hospital security and police.

Sanook reported that he was not admitting he was in the wrong when interviewed at the police station.

They also reported witnesses as saying that the nurse in question was very rude to the man and a fight nearly ensued.

Vachira Hospital in Muang district has circled the wagons saying it was a misunderstanding.

The drama began around 10pm when a 35 year old woman was taken to the hospital after suffering a seizure.

According to witnesses tempers flared after she was made to wait on a gurney outside ER for 15 minutes.

A female relative was allowed into ER thereafter but the Thai man - identified through Thai language as of Chinese heritage - was upset at not being permitted entry.

Footage show him lash out at two nurses sitting outside the ER.

Another camera then showed him storming in to confront staff inside.

Spokesman Dr Weerasak Lorthongkham told a news conference on Wednesday that it was a misunderstanding.

He said the man was not allowed in because it was crowded in ER.

Witnesses quoted by Sanook, however, claimed that abusive language was used by a nurse who had exhibited this kind of behavior before.

The old man and the nurse were squaring up to fight at one point as startled patients and relatives looked on.

Sources: Sanook, Thai Rath

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-09-13

I'm not surprised in a country where people go to hospital for the most trivial thing... the queues for doctors are horrendous..

A & E should be for emergencies only. I've seen people go their with a common cold !!

Doesn't Thailand think a change of plan would alleviate the issue, open local clinics for local doctors who the refer patients to hospital if required??

• Like 2

4 hours ago, hotchilli said:

I'm not surprised in a country where people go to hospital for the most trivial thing... the queues for doctors are horrendous..

A & E should be for emergencies only. I've seen people go their with a common cold !!

Doesn't Thailand think a change of plan would alleviate the issue, open local clinics for local doctors who the refer patients to hospital if required??

I've waited 10 hrs in Canada to be seen and this is a problem in a lot of countries. As hotchilli says people abuse the system by going to hospitals for the slightest problem. Normally the process involves triage, the sickest go first but errors can be made - everywhere.

My experience is that the Nurses, in general, are understanding and relatives (friends?) of patients are demanding and rude. Unless you are bleeding from all orifices, get in line and wait like everyone else. As an Old man myself, it's more difficult to remain patient, particularly if the Nurse is perceived to be rude and certainly if the Nurse is ugly and loud.

Edited by oldrunner
additional comment