Foreign expats in Thailand hail the new electric VIP taxis, claims innovator

webfact

Foreign expats in Thailand hail the new electric VIP taxis, claims innovator

9PM.jpg

Picture: Daily News

A Thai innovator who is promoting the use of electric taxis in Bangkok has said that long term foreign expats love his company's new vehicles.

The EV Taxi VIP 101 has lots of extra benefits to make the traveling experience world class, said EV Society Co Ltd representative Sorayuth Petchtrakoon.

Thirty of the vehicles are now in place to ferry customers in quiet, air-conditioned luxury from Suvarnabhumi airport to downtown destinations. The service began on Sunday.

Some of the new features include:

Facilities to pay by credit card.

Drinks available for thirsty arrivals in the tropical heat

Wet wipes for minor accidents or sweaty brows

and perhaps best of all:

Free wifi.

"Long term expats love the service," enthused an upbeat Sorayuth saying that apart from the above benefits the vehicles were much quieter and there were no fumes from petroleum.

The taxis are waiting for you at level one of the airport or can be hailed for an extra 20 baht charge on the "Taxi OK" app or by ringing the call center on 02 039 8888, reported Daily News.

Source: Daily News

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-09-12

28 minutes ago, Esso49 said:

Somebody better tell this "Thai innovator"  that electric vehicles and taxis were developed some time ago,  and not by a Thai.  

Are you saying Thais aren't World class superior inventors?

Maybe the taxi can say "Too much tlaffic" in robocop voice

• Haha 2

AA cell powered taxis will get you to the nearest Thai bar

B cells will open the doors to an Issan (Lao sourced) bar

C cells search out the Russians in Pattaya

and D cells, well the door will be crushed by the hungry African booty girlies

39 minutes ago, rkidlad said:

To be fair, the bar is set very low. As long as my taxi driver takes me to where I wanna go, turns the meter on and doesn't drive like a complete f****** idiot, I'm impressed. 

So we can assume that these electric powered taxis are self-drive.  If they rely upon GPS in Thailand, most of them will follow unfinished roads that end up in a river.

Edited by zaphod reborn

2 hours ago, AtoZ said:

Somebody better tell this "Thai innovator"  that electric vehicles and taxis were developed some time ago,  and not by a Thai.  

This is rather a complicates story to unravel as Ányos Jedlik, a Hungarian, in 1828 invented an early type of electric motor, while Thomas Davenport,  in 1834, in the U.S.A., invented a vehicle that ran on an electrical track.  However, the first real and practical electric car may have been built by either Robert Anderson, a Scot, sometime between1832 and 1839, the exact date has never been truly established, who made an electric conveyance, that ran on batteries that were not rechargeable or an English man, Thomas Parker in 1884.  However, it is generally thought that the latter person invented and produced the first real electric car.

Having said all that,  the comment by AtoZ is incorrect as no mention in the article states that a Thai was the first to produce an electric car, only that he is an "innovator" which means doing something different or doing something that has never been done before.  Well, the Thai does not qualify on that count as electric cars have already been introduced in Johannesburg, Lisbon, London, Lisbon, Madrid, and Paris and will soon be in Portland, but at least he's trying something new in Thailand.

What does need to be introduced is a meter that cannot be tampered with and automatically turn on as a passenger enters the taxi.

'nuf sed

Edited by wotsdermatter
added info
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, impulse said:

Why all the negativity? 

You get free wifi... score. 

You can pay with a credit card... a plus. 

For at least a while, you're assured of a new car that doesn't have dodgy brakes or a sticky clutch... good deal. 

And you can (i assume) buy water onboard instead of an extra 5 minutes scrounging some up after a long flight ... a time saver.

Sounds like it's all favorable to me.

Favorable maybe, but not of much importants for the average expat. Nice for tourists but an expat is going to have a Thai data plan, knows how to easily take care of simple needs like water and will have baht in their pocket.

There are slight advantages to the service but I doubt many expats "love" it.

1 hour ago, MaxYakov said:

So I guess these will put the airport rail link out of service. :stoner:

Hey! It could happen, dudes.

You are so right.

I have friends arriving tomorrow.

I said " Pick you up?"

They replied "No, I want travel in an"

8 hours ago, webfact said:

EV Taxi VIP 

Said everyone, Nah.

• Haha 2

So the Thai “innovator” imported 100 cheap Chinese EVs, painted them up as taxis, installed WiFi and titled them VIP taxis. 

https://cleantechnica.com/2018/03/29/byd-sending-1000-electric-taxis-to-thailand-will-open-battery-recycling-plant-in-china/

Easily worth double the standard meter fare to ride like a VIP in such innovative luxury. 

• Haha 2

16 hours ago, Esso49 said:

These are all over China and have been so for years.  BYD is a company that gets funding from Berkshire Hathaway.     This guy is just the first customer in Thailand. 

image.jpeg.bcab624cc1d932f98698d1c419d460fa.jpeg

• Like 2

I can just see it coming. You think the driver has needed to stop for a pee or fill up with gas? No he’s going to take his lunch for the three hours it takes to recharge the car, but don’t worry ”Mai Pen Rai”. Seriously, the recharge time may hamper this project but if the “innovator” has bought 30 vehicles, you would have to think he got one with a. “big battely”.

• Sad 1

21 hours ago, webfact said:

A Thai innovator who is promoting the use of electric taxis in Bangkok has said that long term foreign expats love his company's new vehicles.

I'm a long-term expat; I could car less.  Next...  :coffee1:

On 9/13/2018 at 1:19 PM, skorp13 said:

I think i first used a credit card in a taxi in Singers about 10 years ago. Welcome out of the stone age Thailand. Oh btw what is a foreign ex-pat as opposed to???? Do they have local Thai ex-pats?

Probably paid more for that ride 10 (or 20) years ago in Singers than you'd pay today in LOS.  Be careful what you wish for.  New and zoomy amenities can carry new and zoomy price tags.

Of course they have local expats.  Just like I'm a "local expat" when I go back to visit family in the country where I no longer reside.  I often get together with Thai expats when they come home for a visit.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, impulse said:

Probably paid more for that ride 10 (or 20) years ago in Singers than you'd pay today in LOS.  Be careful what you wish for.  New and zoomy amenities can carry new and zoomy price tags.

Of course they have local expats.  Just like I'm a "local expat" when I go back to visit family in the country where I no longer reside.  I often get together with Thai expats when they come home for a visit.

I'm sure i did. Singers has always been much more expensive that LOS so not really a fair comparison. At the time it was a really nice convenience and i'm sure would to this day be cheaper in LOS

On 9/13/2018 at 12:19 PM, skorp13 said:

I think i first used a credit card in a taxi in Singers about 10 years ago. 

Last trip I just paid automatically using PayPal & GrabTaxi. Very convenient, but I'd never let anything automated near my accounts in TH.