Changes to the teaching landscape?

BurgerGung

What has changed?

• No more TOEIC tests for NNES?
  • Far less teachers from African countries.
  • Often ridiculously expensive degree verification procedures (I've heard tales of teachers spending tens of thousands of Baht on law firm fees & apostilles).
  • Do "non teachers" have to get Police clearance? There might be a big and dangerous loophole in the system. You know, when folks get hired without degrees and then get some other job description.

- Voila! No need to deal with Krusapha (TCT)

- no fingerprinting

Met many a teacher who never went to a university.

Thailand remains confusing and contradictory.

What is your take on recent changes? Can you describe and enumerate them?

Several months ago went through the process of getting a Thai teachers license from the Krusapa (actually Kurusapa, not that spelling their name correctly makes then any less petty or more competent) and the process was exactly the same as it has been for the past 5+ years.

I did have to have my  degree certified by my embassy, but I did it here in Bangkok for 1,800 baht.  It varies from country to country, but for US citizens it is a relatively quick and painless procedure.

One of our teachers is a native speaker of English, has a CELTA pass B, a Bachelor degree and is a qualified IELTS examiner - but because he holds a Zimbabwean passport he can't get an Extension based on work, unless he does a TOEIC test...

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

3 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

One of our teachers is a native speaker of English, has a CELTA pass B, a Bachelor degree and is a qualified IELTS examiner - but because he holds a Zimbabwean passport he can't get an Extension based on work, unless he does a TOEIC test...

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

..somewhat the same situation with a South African teacher...The teacher will change her passport soon ...

On 9/13/2018 at 6:26 PM, otherstuff1957 said:

I did have to have my  degree certified by my embassy, but I did it here in Bangkok for 1,800 baht.  It varies from country to country, but for US citizens it is a relatively quick and painless procedure.

When I tried to do that in 2006, I was refused. I had to have my sister in California prepare a stack of prepaid FedEx envelopes and order a new diploma which was verified by the university, then sent by the univ. to the State of Calif., then from there to the US Dept. of State, and then back.  We did two or three diplomas, and sure enough one was lost by one school I worked for.

I hope the procedure is as you describe now.

Related: The FBI criminal record check. They used to forward it to your office of choice for an apostille or whatever. Then, they stopped. 

I got my teaching license by passing the TCT TKT.  I was sorry to the tests discontinued, as flawed as they were.

At times like this I'm relieved to be retired.

Archived