20,000 fake goods seized from Chiang Mai night markets

webfact

3 hours ago, simoh1490 said:

You need to get your screen fixed in that case because in the top photo I see RTP.

So your screen shows only one photo ?, conviently the press conference only? 

You right, it’s my screen that needs fixing 

5 minutes ago, BestB said:

So your screen shows only one photo ?, conviently the press conference only? 

You right, it’s my screen that needs fixing 

A few points:

The Tourist Police is a division of the Royal Thai Police.

The Night Bazzar is in a prime tpourist location.

Tourist police have no police powers, ergo, the Tourist Police are unlikely to be conducting operations directly.:

Are you getting the picture yet!

Tourist police[edit]

220px-Tourist_Police_Thailand.JPG

Thai Tourist Police logo
220px-Thai_Tourist_Police_Chevrolet_Optr

Thai Tourist Police officer

Tourist police are uniformed personnel who lack police powers and are largely responsible for writing out reports for insurance companies for victims of theft. In more serious cases, they will translate reports to be passed on to the regular police in Bangkok. Recently recruiting foreign nationals living in Thailand.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Thai_Police

35 minutes ago, simoh1490 said:

A few points:

Tourist police have no police powers, ergo, the Tourist Police are unlikely to be conducting operations directly.:

Tourist police[edit]

Thai Tourist Police logo

Tourist police are uniformed personnel who lack police powers and are largely responsible for writing out reports for insurance companies for victims of theft. In more serious cases, they will translate reports to be passed on to the regular police in Bangkok. Recently recruiting foreign nationals living in Thailand.

According to Reuters correspondent, Andrew Marshall, "The country has a special force of Tourist Police, set up specifically so that foreigners have as little contact as possible with the ordinary police—the effect on the crucial tourism industry would be chilling."[15

im baffled

1 minute ago, cookieqw said:

According to Reuters correspondent, Andrew Marshall, "The country has a special force of Tourist Police, set up specifically so that foreigners have as little contact as possible with the ordinary police—the effect on the crucial tourism industry would be chilling."[15

im baffled

2 minutes ago, cookieqw said:

im baffled

so how come the tourist police have cars with all the bells and whistles on and the local police have pickup trucks

6 hours ago, Bournville said:

What is the deal with this? The price screams fake. People love to but cheap.. Fake.. Products. It would be different if people were paying 30.000 baht for a fake handbag. But they are not. How does this harm the real company brand? It's not like the 2.000 baht customer is actually going to spend 30.000 on the real thing.

Be happy

exactly, how much is paid for sky tv in thailand as opposed to european countries

its gotten so bad in the uk that no supporters will buy these fake ( albeit made in the same factory ) shirts because they would be ostracised for not supporting their club, and the reason no one ever gets charged is because the collar tab says made in thailand

49 minutes ago, simoh1490 said:

A few points:

Tourist police[edit]

Thai Tourist Police logo

Maybe you need to look up definition of a word “ tourist “

there is nothing touristy about fake merchandise or Thai shop owners and I did not see any mention of tourists complaining about the products 

so tell me again what was it that you were mumbling about.

19 minutes ago, BestB said:

Maybe you need to look up definition of a word “ tourist “

there is nothing touristy about fake merchandise or Thai shop owners and I did not see any mention of tourists complaining about the products 

so tell me again what was it that you were mumbling about.

You were bleating on that, "And once again tourist police instead of RTP" and I've pointed out that the Tourist Police don't have police powers hence what you wrote is incorrect -  enough of you already, back onto ignore you go, again.

4 hours ago, simoh1490 said:

You were bleating on that, "And once again tourist police instead of RTP" and I've pointed out that the Tourist Police don't have police powers hence what you wrote is incorrect -  enough of you already, back onto ignore you go, again.

Plessr do because clearly you struggle with reading and comprehending 

use google translate or ask someone to translate for you post #3

Fancy that finding fake goods for sale on a market, some people have no shame depriving all those rich people of a decent living, 50 quid for a real football shirt is a bargain if you have 60 quid and they do go very nicely with a Chanel handbag ask any referee.

On 9/13/2018 at 5:22 PM, Bournville said:

What is the deal with this? The price screams fake. People love to but cheap.. Fake.. Products. It would be different if people were paying 30.000 baht for a fake handbag. But they are not. How does this harm the real company brand? It's not like the 2.000 baht customer is actually going to spend 30.000 on the real thing.

Be happy

That made me laugh because I've done exactly that. i.e. I've spent 3000 baht on a fake LV bag for my wife's mother (it was actually leather and very good quality. note: real LV bags are not leather), AND 30,000 baht for a genuine handbag at the LV store at Paragon. Our family has a healthy mix of fake and real products.

We are happy.

What surprises me is the fake LV store is very permanent and everyone knows where it is. They have been in the same location for many years and sell good quality fakes. I suspect someone of authority is being paid.

Funny how this happened right after the consulate in CM promised a 1.4 billion investment + the news after that faith in political has been improved. Guess the market in Vientiane will soon have new merchandise!

Anyways, no wonder the city is a zombie town nowadays (and yet dares to charge a 10% service charge in casual boutique hostels for a coffee without stating it clearly on the menu + poor lovely waiter didn't even get that after asking him).

But yeah, let's keeping building 10+ more hotels in old town LOL, at least proper cheap rooms will be available soon as of no demand.

I agree that policing markets in this was is not going to provide a permananet solution.

But meanwhile, Burberry (and other "designer" labels) add fuel to these flames with their policy of burning their "out of date" high-end stock because they lack the necessary cerebral capacity to realise that there's still money (though of course, not so much) by selling their fancy goods to the public via the usual "designer" retail outlets like the one in Bicester, Oxford and Bradenton in Florida.

Joe

I do not know what some people are own about the RTP encompasses all enforcement agencies, tourist police, immigration, crime suppresion the only ones that do not fall under the police are the city agencies who enforce the cigrette butt rule, zoning, and a few other local enforcement. If you get a 2000 baht fine for throwing a butt in Bangkok it will be a city enforcement agent.

The RTP even have their own Drs. who are considered police.

I applaud the crackdown.  If I buy an overpriced bag or shoes or clothing from an Italian/French/English/American company, I want to know that it is 100% made in that country ...

...  By under-paid, illegal, economic migrants.  That's the way it used to work.

On 9/13/2018 at 5:50 PM, Esso49 said:

You may be right but unless it has escaped you this is Thailand and unless it has a worldwide trademark absolutely meaningless.   More like it was just a photocall by the Junta to pretend to lick the Americans backsides in the hope their credibility rating on copyright infringement will improve.  Other than a worthless exercise trying to impress the world that a product made in China for 2 dollars is really worth 200 because it has a "brandname" on it.   I have no problem if people with more money than sense want to spend 200 dollars on a product which in reality is worth 2 dollars but I do object when those self same prigs try to make poor people pay for something that is virtually worthless.

I actually agree with the dollars of your argument however people have a right to know they are getting what they paid for, i would rather pay more for an original JBL speaker becos i know its quality, i would hate to unwittingly give my wife a fake name handbag, and so on. Why do the chinese line up to buy the genuine foreign brand? Cos they know china makes the rubbish you buy.

20,000, huh?  Well, that's one percent taken off the streets!!!!

I've learned I either like really cheap or really expensive.  Night market.......yeah, really cheap or nothing.  

If I buy semi-cheap, then i get mad knowing i only needed to spend x amount to get the real deal, and wonder why i just didn't pay up.

but if i get really cheap, then i don't have to re-think anything.

years ago i learned....   dell computer, 12,000 baht.  garbage.  asus computer, 30,000....great.  

watches.... 150 baht, great.   7000 baht, great.  300 baht to 3000?  no way...  

you get the idea...  

On 9/13/2018 at 2:50 PM, Esso49 said:

I have no problem if people with more money than sense want to spend 200 dollars on a product which in reality is worth 2 dollars but I do object when those self same prigs try to make poor people pay for something that is virtually worthless.

The first part i agree with 100 %  .......  the second part i'm not so sure.   Maybe a lot of poor people could just buy the same product without the fake brand name ?   Go to any big thai market and there is plenty of merchandise reasonabley priced.    The funny thing is that at the night markets its mostly tourists buying that crap.  I think most know it is not the "real thing".   

Archived