20,000 fake goods seized from Chiang Mai night markets

webfact

20,000 fake goods seized from Chiang Mai night markets

By The Nation

3a6a3228c107e034283f57478f2d82cc.jpeg

Police and officials from the US embassy swooped on two night markets in Chiang Mai city centre and seized more than 20,000 fake products that violated popular brand names on Wednesday night.

The operation was led by Poj Maj Gen Surachet Hakpal, the deputy director of the Technology Crime Suppression Centre.

df8a68a211a8c6983ba009537244e530.jpeg

The operation was attended by Kevin Harrington, a representative of the US embassy, who expressed his appreciation for the Thai authorities’ ongoing crackdown on goods that violated intellectual property rights.

The seized items included imitation Bose and JBL bluetooth speakers, handbags sold as Louis Vuitton, Gucci, and Prada, plus a large quantity of fake sportswear, sneakers, belts and sunglasses in violation of Rayban, Nike, Adidas and Under Armour.

0efe30ff0b5cdbbe7bec6fe3247cfc24.jpeg

Surachet said the operation at 10.30pm, which raided 60 shops at the Chiang Mai Night Bazaar and Anusarn Market, reflected the government’s policy of cracking down on fake goods that violated intellectual property rights, especially those that violated US brands.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30354358

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-09-13

And once again tourist police instead of RTP.

Funny enough tourist police can not prosecute or begin legal proceedings , they just hand people over to RTP, which once again raises the question , why RTP are not the ones doing all the raids 

39 minutes ago, BestB said:

Guessing because most brands are registered trademarks in US

You may be right but unless it has escaped you this is Thailand and unless it has a worldwide trademark absolutely meaningless.   More like it was just a photocall by the Junta to pretend to lick the Americans backsides in the hope their credibility rating on copyright infringement will improve.  Other than a worthless exercise trying to impress the world that a product made in China for 2 dollars is really worth 200 because it has a "brandname" on it.   I have no problem if people with more money than sense want to spend 200 dollars on a product which in reality is worth 2 dollars but I do object when those self same prigs try to make poor people pay for something that is virtually worthless.

1 hour ago, BestB said:

And once again tourist police instead of RTP.

Funny enough tourist police can not prosecute or begin legal proceedings , they just hand people over to RTP, which once again raises the question , why RTP are not the ones doing all the raids 

On my computer screen it says "Technology Crime Suppression Centre". What does it say on yours?

From the news article (I put a red frame around the relevant text):

Chiang Mai.gif

They get the tourist police to do the arrests as the RTP are all taking backhanders from the seller's .if RTP make the arrests there are no fake goods as they are protecting the sellers .makes no difference they are all back today selling with the same stock .backhanders everywhere you look

59 minutes ago, Maestro said:

On my computer screen it says "Technology Crime Suppression Centre". What does it say on yours?

From the news article (I put a red frame around the relevant text):

Chiang Mai.gif

On my computer screen I see tourist police photo, what photo do you see on your screen? 

What is the deal with this? The price screams fake. People love to but cheap.. Fake.. Products. It would be different if people were paying 30.000 baht for a fake handbag. But they are not. How does this harm the real company brand? It's not like the 2.000 baht customer is actually going to spend 30.000 on the real thing.

Be happy

2 hours ago, Esso49 said:

You may be right but unless it has escaped you this is Thailand and unless it has a worldwide trademark absolutely meaningless.   More like it was just a photocall by the Junta to pretend to lick the Americans backsides in the hope their credibility rating on copyright infringement will improve.  Other than a worthless exercise trying to impress the world that a product made in China for 2 dollars is really worth 200 because it has a "brandname" on it.   I have no problem if people with more money than sense want to spend 200 dollars on a product which in reality is worth 2 dollars but I do object when those self same prigs try to make poor people pay for something that is virtually worthless.

Most trademarks have a worldwide recognition as long as it’s registered in that country.

I have no idea why you feel the need to bash Americans if you do not have the means to afford original products.

yes some copies are of high quality and those who can not afford the real thing buy the  copies 

Though for the life of me , can not figure out how people compare copy and original when they have never owned one and determine its quality and price from the pics .

But thankfully that is why there is s market for everyone and everything .

1 minute ago, Bournville said:

What is the deal with this? The price screams fake. People love to but cheap.. Fake.. Products. It would be different if people were paying 30.000 baht for a fake handbag. But they are not. How does this harm the real company brand? It's not like the 2.000 baht customer is actually going to spend 30.000 on the real thing.

Be happy

Trademarks argue that copies tarnish their brand image .

take a note, it’s not my argument, it’s the trademarks argument

It is ever thus! Bust them today, sell it back to them tomorrow....open as usual! This goes on and on everywhere in Thailand. It's a bit like the truck drivers wrapping a 50 baht note around a rock with a rubber band and throwing it of the truck window to distract the Hiway patrol! It's all just a game and the locals lap it up as it gives them something to talk about over their Lao cow!

6 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

They must have taken this really seriously,especially with Big Joke

and the US representative involved, no one got the usual tip off 

a raid was going to be made.

regards worgeordie

Would not be so sure, not a single mention of anyone being arrested or detained or held responsible?

4 hours ago, Antonymous said:

Cop on the right seems to want that one.

Came here for THIS.....also was down there the other week trying to score a little wooden crappy lamp..the lady was trying to tell me she MADE them herself..ALL of them...I said --Great! Make me one NOW...she didnt like that..or when I asked WHERE she makes them so I can come visit her....needless to say I got a nicer Japanese lamp for less, solid wood too...150 bt..she wanted 250 for crappy balsa wood and tissue paper.....and she called ME crazy!   Thainess 101

Archived