Help with working whilst under visa extension rules!

Hello I arrived on Thailand on 10th August with a pre bought  60 day visa which expires on 10th October. My flight back to the UK - from Bangkok is on 16th December. I currently live/work in Mae sot, I finish my contract with this work in late November. I would like to do 2 border runs to myawaddy/mae sot bridge (as it is cheap) before then to extend my visa , which will get me 30days each time i.e. on 10th October to 9 November, and then 9 November to 9 December. After my contract finishes late November I want to travel outside Thailand to return by the time of my flight to the UK- on 16th December. Will I be able to return to Thailand with this many visa runs? Can I come in via a land border in December after travelling, i.e. from Cambodia or Malaysia? Or do I have to fly in? Will I even be able to arrive in if I fly or will I get turned away. 

Many thanks for any help!!

You can only do 2 visa exempt entries per calendar year at land border crossings.

It would be best to extend the 60 day entry from your tourist visa for 30 days for a fee of 1900 baht at immigration before doing the border crossings. You could also extend those 30 day entries for 30 days.

Apparently you are working illegally since you cannot do it legally on a tourist visa.

17 minutes ago, overherebc said:

For sure working illegally as your visas don't support a work permit. No doubt the company said 'don't worry about it.'

You cannot be sure based on the limited information in the OP. Some work is exempt.

1 hour ago, overherebc said:

Examples to keep the OP happy?

As he stated 'contract' sounds like full time work.

If the OP needs advice on whether their work requires permission, they can ask. My point to you is that you cannot make a blanket statement of fact ("for sure") when you don't know the details.

hello thanks for help guys, i can confirm i am not working! if we can clear up this confusion. 

So as i see it, i can do two 'visa runs' - get 2- 30day extensions, which takes me till around 10th december, leaving thailand late november, returning before my flight around mid december (BY AIR only?!) and i will be allowed back into thailand (with another 30days?) - even though i had the initial 60day tourist visa - and two 'visa run' 30days.

25 minutes ago, Joeseph said:

hello thanks for help guys, i can confirm i am not working! if we can clear up this confusion. 

So as i see it, i can do two 'visa runs' - get 2- 30day extensions, which takes me till around 10th december, leaving thailand late november, returning before my flight around mid december (BY AIR only?!) and i will be allowed back into thailand (with another 30days?) - even though i had the initial 60day tourist visa - and two 'visa run' 30days.

Confused. Contract finished now or what??

On 9/13/2018 at 3:51 PM, overherebc said:

For sure working illegally as your visas don't support a work permit. No doubt the company said 'don't worry about it.'

Sure, because it will not be them arrested, jailed, fined, deported, and possibly banned from returning - and they can always fill the slot with another disposable foreigner. 

I recall a big fuss about strict penalties for illegal-hiring in some new law, but it appears this is not happening, or employers would not be taking the chance.   If facing a few years in the hoosegow, I bet employers would find the time to provide their foreign-employees with the proper paperwork for a work-permit and permitted-stay.

47 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

Sure, because it will not be them arrested, jailed, fined, deported, and possibly banned from returning - and they can always fill the slot with another disposable foreigner. 

I recall a big fuss about strict penalties for illegal-hiring in some new law, but it appears this is not happening, or employers would not be taking the chance.   If facing a few years in the hoosegow, I bet employers would find the time to provide their foreign-employees with the proper paperwork for a work-permit and permitted-stay.

So true. I had a job offer a few years ago and got the job. The director was a switched on guy and wanted me to start asap.

In the week or two while the paperwork was being gathered together they made an official sign for the office that said 

'Interview Room' I worked in there for over a week updating procedures etc for them with an interview questionaire on the desk half filled in just in case. Once the WP was in my hands the sign was changed to my job title.

They had a previous problem with a miffed competitor upset at losing a contract to them involving expat workers so just covered the bases. 

Spent two and a half years of happy work with them. ??

• Like 1
  • Haha 1