Election between this December 11 and next May 9, says E

snoop1130

Election between this December 11 and next May 9, says EC

By The Nation

c74a500258293da44f912faebf325e79.jpeg

EC secretary-general Jaroongwit Phumma

Thailand’s Election Commission (EC) has outlined a tentative time frame for the next election vote, starting from December 11 at the earliest to May 9 at the latest, its top official said on Thursday.

The timeframe was set following Wednesday’s promulgation of the new law on MP elections, said EC secretary-general Jaroongwit Phumma.

However, setting the exact election date can occur only after the junta imposed political ban is partially lifted to pave the way for political parties to meet and plan for the election, he added.

“But it will be a bit risky if [the election] is set for May 9,” Jaroongwit said.

Asked about a remark by a government top figures that the election would be held on February 24, he said the EC could manage but it would depend on whether political parties were ready. 

At issue is the need for political parties to conduct a primary vote to choose their MP candidates from among party members. Those wishing to run for an MP slot must join the party no later than 90 days before the election date, he said.

“We are ready to organise the election in 90,000 polling stations nationwide,” he said. 

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30354396

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-9-13

2 minutes ago, Oziex1 said:

Tentative, now there's a handy word.

ten·ta·tive
ˈten(t)ədiv/
adjective

1. not certain or fixed; provisional.
    "a tentative conclusion"
    synonyms: provisional, unconfirmed, penciled in, iffy, preliminary, to be confirmed, subject to confirmation; More

• done without confidence; hesitant.
      "he eventually tried a few tentative steps round his hospital room"
      synonyms: hesitant, uncertain, cautious, timid, hesitating, faltering, shaky, unsteady, halting; 

If I'm not mistaken, doesn't the coronation have to take place before any elections proceed? 

Even the officialdom circles have mentioned, months ago, that this royal protocol takes precedent before any such national elections can take place.

We've heard that the coronation will be engaged in January or February......????? ?

Someone correct me if I'm incorrect, please.

30 minutes ago, zzaa09 said:

If I'm not mistaken, doesn't the coronation have to take place before any elections proceed? 

Even the officialdom circles have mentioned, months ago, that this royal protocol takes precedent before any such national elections can take place.

We've heard that the coronation will be engaged in January or February......????? ?

Someone correct me if I'm incorrect, please.

There's no legal requirement for the coronation to happen first. It's just a Prayuth excuse.

21 minutes ago, SABloke said:

There's no legal requirement for the coronation to happen first. It's just a Prayuth excuse.

Yet, any such official mandates - constitutional revisions, assorted legislative acts, official elections, etc - have to be officially blessed and recognized by HM. Thailand still maintains a functioning Constitutional Monarchy in the truest legitimate sense. And the present ruling military or any other type of government are enacted to serve the standing royalty above most everything else......it all trickles down, in theory. 

The real official workings of Thailand is still missed on many. 

50 minutes ago, SABloke said:

There's a whole arms kote full of such excuses: coronations, sad events, ASEAN chair, significant anniversaries which would mean political activity would be inappropriate, and that is before we get into the realms of sedition, threats to order, and unrest. Years and years worth. 

Perhaps the new head of the EC would be well advised to buy one of those "perpetual calendars" to go on his desk...

22 minutes ago, baboon said:

'Legal' having no bearing anyway, considering the junta simply do what they want.

....within reason, of course.

As they are in service to others.  

You do realize that they don't practice independently, dontcha?

3 minutes ago, zzaa09 said:

....within reason, of course.

As they are in service to others.  

You do realize that they don't practice independently, dontcha?

Really? My world is shocked to the core.

And to think we anti-fascists who have been lambasting the junta since their inception had no realisation of that. God, I feel foolish...

8 hours ago, baboon said:

'Legal' having no bearing anyway, considering the junta simply do what they want.

Well of course not, but there's only so much I could say under the circumstances. Remember the whole Head of State death and legal requirement for a replacement fiasco...totally ignored by the power that is.

Luckily, we've got people like zzaa09 that know the truth and can guide us to the light ?

17 minutes ago, SABloke said:

Luckily, we've got people like zzaa09 that know the truth and can guide us to the light ?

Personally I find that his enigmatic, slightly sardonic and oblique commentary tells us nothing that we haven't known for the last four years, but hints that he is much better informed than us - "whispers from the inside track".

Maybe thats just me...

17 hours ago, SABloke said:

Doesn't the next elected government require royal endorsement in order for it to be officially installed?

So while beyond Prayut's control, the date of the coronation might be critical.

Otherwise, governance by the next elected government will be stalled with PM Prayut remaining as the Head of Government and chief of the NCPO. The potential for the resulting time span may explain the EC's anticipation of elections being delayed as late as May 2019.

26 minutes ago, Srikcir said:

Doesn't the next elected government require royal endorsement in order for it to be officially installed?

So while beyond Prayut's control, the date of the coronation might be critical.

Otherwise, governance by the next elected government will be stalled with PM Prayut remaining as the Head of Government and chief of the NCPO. The potential for the resulting time span may explain the EC's anticipation of elections being delayed as late as May 2019.

The king is already the head of state - the coronation is just ceremonial. Also, all laws up to now have received royal endorsement - the next government can receive royal endorsement without a coronation ceremony.

On 9/16/2018 at 12:32 AM, lamyai3 said:

Thailand is so far ahead of the rest of the world that it's currently approaching the end of 2561...

Yes and elections will be running in 2562 for sure...

But they did not confirm which calendar ? 

Archived