Transferring Large Amount Between Thai Banks

Hi all,

I need to transfer about 1.2m baht from my Bangkok Bank to a KBank account.  I can't do it online as to change my transfer limit to be sufficiently high I need to apply in the bank and wait 3-5 working days for the adjustment to take effect.

So can I do the transfer in the branch?  From their website it says the limit for interbank transfers is 100,000 baht.

I remember years ago they always used to give you the entire sum in cash, then you would walk to the other bank and deposit it there.  I was rather hoping things had moved on in the few years since I needed to do this, but evidently not?

Any advice?

Edited by josephbloggs

1 minute ago, marcusarelus said:

5 years ago I took 3 mil from one bank next door to the other bank in an athletic bag. 

Yeah, done the same thing many times, but it's been a while.  I thought things might have advanced since then but from what I can find out it seems it hasn't.  Very annoying.

37 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

cost?  Seems to be 20 baht to buy a check.

I didn't know that.  I have a checking account so never occurred to me to try. 

Unsure.....they are free to customers with premium or preferred accounts.

AND, you can buy them denominated in GBP or USD as well, as long as the bank has a branch in the UK or the US, Bangkok Bank for example - those cashier cheques are drawn on the BB London and New York branches respectively, larger branches only.

Edited by simoh1490

52 minutes ago, Cyclone88 said:

Never heard such nonsense.

Just walk in the bank and do a transfer.

2 months ago i went to my SCB branch on Beach Road, Pattaya and transfered just over 4 mil to another bank.

All done in less than 10 minutes.

No need to be a smartarse about it.  As I said in my post it is several years since I have needed to do this and they never used to do it - instead giving you cash to carry to the other bank, ridiculous as it sounds.  And Bangkok Bank on their very own website are quite clear that there is a limit of 100,000 baht per interbank transaction.  

Thanks for your help, not for your attitude.

25 minutes ago, josephbloggs said:

No need to be a smartarse about it.  As I said in my post it is several years since I have needed to do this and they never used to do it - instead giving you cash to carry to the other bank, ridiculous as it sounds.  And Bangkok Bank on their very own website are quite clear that there is a limit of 100,000 baht per interbank transaction.  

Thanks for your help, not for your attitude.

I don't know what that 100k interbank limit is all about, I think that refers to ATM transfer limits between banks per day. I am absolutely certain that customers can transfer between banks an unlimited amount. BAHTNET transfers however are subject to limits, as I recall.

Edited by simoh1490

Just now, simoh1490 said:

I don't know what that 100k interbank limit is all about, I think that refers to ATM transfer limits between banks per day. I am absolutely certain that customers can transfer between banks an unlimited amount.;

It's very easy with Bangkok Bank just ask for a Bahtnet transfer it's very easy and providing it's done before 2pm will be in K Bank same day. No limits, I have sent up to 10 million baht to KBANK from my Bangkok Account without any issues. Cost is around 150 baht.  

If I have to move large amounts from one bank to another I simply get a cashier's check made out to myself and deposit it in the other bank...Cost for cheque...20 Baht.

This topic was an OP on here a few months back.

Edited by dotpoom
Add on

1 hour ago, Krissp said:

It's very easy with Bangkok Bank just ask for a Bahtnet transfer it's very easy and providing it's done before 2pm will be in K Bank same day. No limits, I have sent up to 10 million baht to KBANK from my Bangkok Account without any issues. Cost is around 150 baht.  

Bingo, thanks.  Seems that Bahtnet transfers are unlimited.  Only downside is if it is over 500k it needs to be done from your home branch which is a bit of a pain in my case but not the end of the world.

4 hours ago, fak119 said:

Banker's cheque might help.

This is Thailand

Not sure if this is the best solution to the O/P's problem, but cashier's cheques and bank drafts are available in Thailand.

I have on several occasions bought Thai Baht bank drafts from Kasikorn even though I don't have an account with them. I used Kasikorn simply because there was a branch within walking distance although my branch of Bangkok Bank offers the same service.