Big Joke to fly to England to interview teen who claimed rape on Koh Tao

webfact

Big Joke to fly to England to interview teen who claimed rape on Koh Tao

9PM.jpg

File photo

The deputy commissioner of the Thai Tourist Police has revealed that he is set to fly to England to interview the 19 year old who claims she was raped on the controversial island of Koh Tao.

Maj-Gen Surachate Hakpan - known in the Thai media as Big Joke - told INN that he has made representations to the British Embassy and will go to England soon. 

The alleged victim - who Thaivisa understands to be Isabel Baxter or Issy from South London - has spoken to three UK newspapers alleging she was drugged and raped in June. She claims police refused to take her report on Koh Pangan only reporting a theft.

INN reported that the British Embassy in Bangkok are concerned about the motives of the teen after she went to the media but did not contact them.

Where a meeting will take place is yet to be decided as the Thai police work in conjunction with the embassy. 

INN said they understood that the metropolitan police in London are involved in the case though there has been no contact regarding DNA allegedly on a t-shirt. 

Maj-Gen Surachate, who found no evidence of a rape having occurred on a recent trip to the island in Surat Thani province, reiterated that should the accusations prove to be false the Thai authorities would seek the prosecution of the teen.

He again said that the administrators of the online group "CSI LA" and The Samui Times are to be prosecuted but that more time is needed to finalize matters. 

The owner of the CSI LA site is thought to be a Thai person with US nationality and the editor of the Samui Times has been reported as being a British woman. Neither has been reported as being in custody. 

Source: INN

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-09-14

• Replies 562
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Big Joke flying to the UK, to interview the girl who he says was not raped!!!!

Why is he going?? If he says no rape took place, so when he said she wasnt raped, he was telling porkies.

Just shows what a useless bugger he is, surely he will lose face if he goes to interview the girl.

He has already declared that there was no rape and as others have pointed out he can't speak English, so this just seems like yet another PR stunt. Does he not realise that England is actually a democracy and the girl is under no obligation to speak to him whatsoever. The good news is though that he will be able to take a short stroll through a London street and solve all of those unsolved crimes we have, or at least allow the police to remove them from their lists as they won't actually have happened.

Incredible. Could you imagine how the interview would go.

Big Joke's interpreter: "On Koh Tao you raped mai?"

Victim: "Yes."

Conversation between Big Joke and interpreter

Big Joke's interpreter: "He say no rape on Koh Tao. No evidence."

Victim: "I have proof."

Big Joke's interpreter: "In Thailand have no proof of crime. Police say no rape."

And so on and so on. 

I still don't believe a 19-year old would seek international fame by telling a lie that she became a rape victim. When it comes to notorious fame and fortune junkies, getting a kick from watching their pics and huge headlines in the media, it's always a big joke that comes to mind. 

I don't know why people are knocking this move by him. I think it's great considering that the girl says she's afraid to go back and testify. I think it shows he takes the claims seriously enough to give the victim the peace of mind that she can report the alleged crime to him in the protection of her own country. 

She will be swamped with legal council and translators  there's not going to be any of the usual back-room deals on offer, and that may come as something of an eye-opener to him. He has zero jurisdiction. This really ought to be handled by the Thai Embassy in London. Big Egg on Joke face moment coming up, methinks.

10 minutes ago, spermwhale said:

I don't know why people are knocking this move by him. I think it's great considering that the girl says she's afraid to go back and testify. I think it shows he takes the claims seriously enough to give the victim the peace of mind that she can report the alleged crime to him in the protection of her own country. 

This was of course my first reaction but then I realized that nothing is gained.  Even if he believes her story, if true, then what is he going to do?  This case is colder than Jack the Ripper by now.

1 hour ago, Raymonddiaz said:

Why is he doing that? He can't speak English. Why not send someone else who could speak the language? Free advertising I suppose! 

Yes, but he does/did have that hottie subordinate officer who's quite fluent in English, but seems to have disappeared from Joke's public appearances lately.... Maybe she'll be tagging along.

INN reported that the British Embassy in Bangkok are concerned about the motives of the teen after she went to the media but did not contact them.

Meanwhile, re the article above, call me skeptical, but somehow I can't quite imagine anyone at the British Embassy in BKK telling a Thai reporter or anyone else that they had doubts about the motives of one of their citizens because that citizen hadn't contacted them directly regarding an alleged crime.

I could believe that someone in the Tourist Police made that claim to the Thai reporter, and then the reporter repeated it in their news report without clarifying that it didn't actually come from anyone at the British Embassy, but instead, was once again a case of Thai authorities speaking for other governments (which they have a long, inglorious habit of doing).

1 hour ago, webfact said:

Maj-Gen Surachate, who found no evidence of a rape having occurred on a recent trip to the island in Surat Thani province, reiterated that should the accusations prove to be false the Thai authorities would seek the prosecution of the teen.

So after interviewing Koh Tao locals of dodgy integrity, he has concluded there was no rape, without ever interviewing the victim. It will be interesting to see how he deals with farang in another country where he's not a "rock star".

Archived