The week that was in Thailand news: Don't call me Cheap Charlie! A Hitchhiker's Guide to the Thai Galaxy!

rooster59

Agree on most points. I used the app couchsurfing and let a few backpackers stay at my place and in return interviewed them about their adventures. The hitch hiking is more about the adventures than the economy and staying with people rather than hotels is getting a more intimate tour of their host city. I took em to all the things i love about Bangkok rather than what the fail list of “top 10 things to do in bkk” usually recommends 

You are very wrong about hitchhiking in Thailand :For a Farang, especially when he is with a bicycle, it is probably the easiest country in the world to hitch a ride. I have been doing it for over twenty years, and rarely wait longer than 10 to 20 minutes for somebody to pick me up, while the States and Europe had me waiting out in the cold for up to 7 hours many times.

But you have to be a Farang :I often asked those who pick me up, whether they would have stopped for   aThai man, and they usually say, no way, too risky. 

I don't mind people who contribute. However, the ones who take advantage of my good nature annoy me.

I met a Czech couple, journalists, who were travelling in Australia. They said they were going to Chiang Mai, and I offered to show them around the Golden Triangle. They stayed at my GF's house for 4 days, and we drove up to Mae Sai, Doi Tung, Chiang Saen and down to Phayao.

Not once did they offer to pay for petrol or the food my GF provided. They may have been on a tight budget. However, that's just bad manners.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, The manic said:

I have been picked up a few times by kind thais. I did not have my thumb out. 

Same here. During the floods some years back, trudging through knee deep water, I hitched a ride on the back of a pick-up; they offered, I didn't ask. Another instance that sticks in my mind was after I'd tied one on, and ended up penniless in the middle of nowhere. Some passing Thai girl on a motor cycle stopped, asked me a few questions, disappeared, next thing I know her boyfriend appears, picks me up and returns me to civilisation. Oh, and the guy who picked me up from the side of the road, covered in mud, after an altercation with some Thais. Well, the examples are endless ... .