The Yellow Shirt Brigade

terry57

As much as i would like to - i cannot give you any more answers on that issue than i already have without steering the thread into forbidden territory. Any discussion on monarchy is not allowed by forum rules, and wisely so, given the legal situation and emotions attached to this.

I can only say that if you are interested in this subject - go and research academic libraries. There is more available and regularly published on this subject than commonly known.

I know enough about ColPyat to know that he knows what he is talking about and has thought about all of this carefully. Once upon a time - before I read The Revolutionary King - I might have been hesitant to give my opinion on the monarchy.

Just let it be. :o

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

ok punters,

im going to open myself up to a good slagging off here but thats perfectly ok by me as im ready for it.

i was reading a thread on the forum where some posters were giving farangs that were the yellow shirt on mondays a good kicking.

i'll tell you all why i wear the yellow shirt on mondays and i would like to hear some feed back from the thais on this forum or from farang's that have thai wives and what there wives think about this issue.

as you all know, ive been comming to los for 20 years and respect thai people, thai culture and the royalty in particular.

i love to see the thais wearing there yellow shirts on monday, as the respect it shows for the royal family impresses me no end and no western royal family seems to come near this level of respect.

i have always been under the impression that for myself to wear the yellow shirt is showing that i also respect the royalty and traditions of los.

i feel good wearing the colours on mondays and many thai people have complemented me on my appearance and i have always felt i was doing the right thing.

im a decent looking guy and make sure im dressed ok on a monday so i cant be accused of being a farang looser taking the piss.

ive never thought that i could be viewed as a farang looser until i read some of the posts on this forum.

in conclusion i would like to know what the general consensus is on this issue.

but i got to tell you punters, if you give me a good kicking im still going to wear my yellow shirt on mondays. :D

bring it on people. :o

You losers will never get it strait "you not thai" get it? It's like a white forgeiner trying to become hindu(not possible). You know they have a seperate name for us,that should be your first clue.Let them have there little things and quite trying to horn in on their thainess................you walking ATM

So I wonder Terry.

Are you more respectful of Thai culture and the Monarch because you decide to wear yellow on a Monday than another foreigner who does not wear yellow on a Monday?

Is it disrespectful not to wear yellow on a Monday?

Is wearing yellow on a Monday irrefutable evidence of respect for Thai culture and the Monarchy?

Edited by GuestHouse

ok punters,

im going to open myself up to a good slagging off here but thats perfectly ok by me as im ready for it.

i was reading a thread on the forum where some posters were giving farangs that were the yellow shirt on mondays a good kicking.

i'll tell you all why i wear the yellow shirt on mondays and i would like to hear some feed back from the thais on this forum or from farang's that have thai wives and what there wives think about this issue.

as you all know, ive been comming to los for 20 years and respect thai people, thai culture and the royalty in particular.

i love to see the thais wearing there yellow shirts on monday, as the respect it shows for the royal family impresses me no end and no western royal family seems to come near this level of respect.

i have always been under the impression that for myself to wear the yellow shirt is showing that i also respect the royalty and traditions of los.

i feel good wearing the colours on mondays and many thai people have complemented me on my appearance and i have always felt i was doing the right thing.

im a decent looking guy and make sure im dressed ok on a monday so i cant be accused of being a farang looser taking the piss.

ive never thought that i could be viewed as a farang looser until i read some of the posts on this forum.

but i got to tell you punters, if you give me a good kicking im still going to wear my yellow shirt on mondays. :D

You losers will never get it strait "you not thai" get it? It's like a white forgeiner trying to become hindu(not possible). You know they have a seperate name for us,that should be your first clue.Let them have there little things and quite trying to horn in on their thainess................you walking ATM

cricky's mate, im only wearing a yellow shirt and not trying to start a revolution. :D

Actually, there are possibilities to become 'Hindu'.

Arya Samaj does conversions (not accepted everywhere), and also joining Saddhu orders is generally accepted as a conversion. In many areas even members of Hare Krishna are accepted as Hindus.

So I wonder Terry.

Are you more respectful of Thai culture and the Monarch because you decide to wear yellow on a Monday than another foreigner who does not wear yellow on a Monday?

Is it disrespectful not to wear yellow on a Monday?

Is wearing yellow on a Monday irrefutable evidence of respect for Thai culture and the Monarchy?

guesthouse,

im very surprised you have asked me that question as you know me better than that.

short answer for you as its basic stuff.

question # 1 = NO

question # 2 = off course not.

question # 3 = absolutley not.

just to make you happy i will do more research on the history and we cant go into it as we both know its against forum rules. :o

thank you very much for your input.

cheers

You can all subjectively convince yourselves that, as farangs, wearing The Yellow t-shirt is not a cringe-worthy act until the cows come home..!!

The fact remains that.... wait for it....! You do look stupid..!!

It is, i repeat, a feeble attempt to gain kudos from the general Thai population... Of course you're all receiving smiles for your efforts.!! LOS wasn't just a made up acronym. Most Thais are too polite to do anything other..

Quit the yellow shirts guys.. and if you really want to impress the locals, hang 10 baht of gold around your neck...

(wait a minute, 10 baht of gold AND a yellow t-shirt... Hmmm..! no, no, no.. even cheesier? maybe 15 baht?!?!? )

You can all subjectively convince yourselves that, as farangs, wearing The Yellow t-shirt is not a cringe-worthy act until the cows come home..!!

It is, i repeat, a feeble attempt to gain kudos from the general Thai population... Of course you're all receiving smiles for your efforts.!! LOS wasn't just a made up acronym. Most Thais are too polite to do anything other..

Quit the yellow shirts guys.. and if you really want to impress the locals, hang 10 baht of gold around your neck...

(wait a minute, 10 baht of gold AND a yellow t-shirt... Hmmm..! no, no, no.. even cheesier? maybe 15 baht?!?!? )

mate i got a cracking big mother silver neck chain that i wear and its goes lovely with my yellow shirt. :o

So Terry you agree:

By wearing Yellow on a Monday you are not more respectful of Thai culture and the Monarch than another foreigner who does not wear yellow on a Monday.

Of course it is not disrespectful not to wear yellow on a Monday.

Wearing yellow on a Monday is absolutely not irrefutable evidence of respect for Thai culture and the Monarchy?

We seem therefore to be in agreement on this at least.

You want to wear Yellow on Monday, up2U, doing so provides no evidence at all that you are any more respectful of Thai Culture and the Monarchy than I am.

I do not wear Yellow on a Monday, up2me. Not doing so provides no evidence at all that I am any less respectful of Thai Culture and the Monarchy than you are.

Perhaps all that is left then is that thing about obtaining the nodding aproval of passing strangers, or as another poster put it ... Prettending to be Thai.

mate i got a cracking big mother silver neck chain that i wear and its goes lovely with my yellow shirt. :o

let me guess, its got a cracking big buddha dangling from it too... :D

ok punters,

Well, the government employees where told to wear yellow for a year. Not asked! For employees in the private sector its a different story.

Most of the thai staff I work with don't wear it unless they forgot to iron a decent shirt due to the company party the night before.

As far as your question; yes I do find it silly seeing a foreigner wearing a yellow polo shirt on monday's. Especially if combined with shorts and open shoes. What kind of respect is that?!?

cricky's mate,

im an aussie and dont do that. :D

i guess yellow is better than bright pink, but I would of prefered white or blue.

if it was pink, most males would be relunctant to wear the shirt no matter how much they loved and respects.

Recently in Khon Kaen I looked every where for an XXL yellow shirt. The only one I could find had pink trim. I declined.

I since found one in purple.

i would like to hear some feed back from the thais on this forum or from farang's that have thai wives and what there wives think about this issue.

Real shame this part of the OP never happened before the thread closure .... and we are just left with other farang's impressions.

Edited by sriracha john

So Terry you agree:

By wearing Yellow on a Monday you are not more respectful of Thai culture and the Monarch than another foreigner who does not wear yellow on a Monday.

Of course it is not disrespectful not to wear yellow on a Monday.

Wearing yellow on a Monday is absolutely not irrefutable evidence of respect for Thai culture and the Monarchy?

We seem therefore to be in agreement on this at least.

You want to wear Yellow on Monday, up2U, doing so provides no evidence at all that you are any more respectful of Thai Culture and the Monarchy than I am.

I do not wear Yellow on a Monday, up2me. Not doing so provides no evidence at all that I am any less respectful of Thai Culture and the Monarchy than you are.

Perhaps all that is left then is that thing about obtaining the nodding aproval of passing strangers, or as another poster put it ... Prettending to be Thai.

/quote]

guesthouse my very learned friend,

thats bloody amazing that we have found middle ground on 3 fundamental question's and shows we are making progress after all the debates that we have engaged in on numerous subjects.

im humbled by our progress. :o

on the pretending to be thai issue you have erred once again.

how many times have i said on this forum that us farang will never be viewed as thai and always will be considered farang visitors in the los?

thats all we are, visitors in this country and i have no problem at all with that view.

after all it is thailand and not farangland.

can we agree on that one as well?

I think many of us can not appreciate the depth or nature of feeling that the Thais have for their King. He is not just a monarch- he is their father in an almost literal sense. He is seen to embody the essence of what it is to be Thai. Most Thais know that we can never understand that- and they are correct.

Perhaps an analogy could be the born again Christian who sees people who think Jesus was real cool dude, wearing a crucifix. For some, it's not a problem- for others, however, it represents appropriation of something which they feel is uniquely theirs.

Just because Thais smile or give you a 'thumbs up' when you wear it-- well, you've been hanging around here long enough to know that means nothing. Yes for many, it will be recognized as a sign of respect- but a kiind of silly respect- a bit amusing- like a foreigner wearing a farmers lantern-hat- without a single calous on his hands- or a bunch of Chinese tourists in Wyoming posing with big white stetsons. For others though, it will be seen as our total lack of understanding of what their King means to them. In the way natives back home view white folks doing the sweat lodge/sundance thing.

mate i got a cracking big mother silver neck chain that i wear and its goes lovely with my yellow shirt. :D

no, but it goes perfect with my bald scone and yellow shirt.

think of MR T , but a white guy without the bling and the mo hawk. :o

i would'nt mind one of those buddha's but its a bit over the top for me. :D

i would like to hear some feed back from the thais on this forum or from farang's that have thai wives and what there wives think about this issue.

Real shame this part of the OP never happened before the thread closure .... and we are just left with other farang's impressions.

Not correct, I gave earlier the comment of one of my Thai Co-worker ... but not my wife :-)

ok punters,

bring it on people. :D

Good on yer Terry.

I do sometimes wear a yellow shirt on Monday and it seems to get a positive response from the Thais.

Sorry to give you an 'on' topic response, however I do not live in a Thai village with lots and lots of 'insiders ' giving me all sorts of valuable information as to the whys and wherefores of what might or might not have happened between the years 1802 and 1914.

Nor did I used to work for any secret organisation, nor do I know of any libraries that might stock "The Worlds Biggest Secrets".

Terry. Reasonable question, and I applaud the fact that this 'normal' question brings out answers from the Norm to the wierd and wonderful :D:D:o

mate i got a cracking big mother silver neck chain that i wear and its goes lovely with my yellow shirt. :D

i would'nt mind one of those buddha's but its a bit over the top for me. :D

The Yellow t-shirt AND bald...! its gettin' worse

:D

I think many of us can not appreciate the depth or nature of feeling that the Thais have for their King. He is not just a monarch- he is their father in an almost literal sense. He is seen to embody the essence of what it is to be Thai. Most Thais know that we can never understand that- and they are correct.

Perhaps an analogy could be the born again Christian who sees people who think Jesus was real cool dude, wearing a crucifix. For some, it's not a problem- for others, however, it represents appropriation of something which they feel is uniquely theirs.

Just because Thais smile or give you a 'thumbs up' when you wear it-- well, you've been hanging around here long enough to know that means nothing. Yes for many, it will be recognized as a sign of respect- but a kiind of silly respect- a bit amusing- like a foreigner wearing a farmers lantern-hat- without a single calous on his hands- or a bunch of Chinese tourists in Wyoming posing with big white stetsons. For others though, it will be seen as our total lack of understanding of what their King means to them. In the way natives back home view white folks doing the sweat lodge/sundance thing.

i think your going to deeply into it as its only small token on the farangs part that they respect the king.

thats all it is and nothing complicated.

cheers.

you been drinking again SJ . :o

ok punters,

but i got to tell you punters, if you give me a good kicking im still going to wear my yellow shirt on mondays. :bah:

bring it on people. :bah:

Good on yer Terry.

I do sometimes wear a yellow shirt on Monday and it seems to get a positive response from the Thais.

Sorry to give you an 'on' topic response, however I do not live in a Thai village with lots and lots of 'insiders ' giving me all sorts of valuable information as to the whys and wherefores of what might or might not have happened between the years 1802 and 1914.

Nor did I used to work for any secret organisation, nor do I know of any libraries that might stock "The Worlds Biggest Secrets".

Terry. Reasonable question, and I applaud the fact that this 'normal' question brings out answers from the Norm to the wierd and wonderful :D:D:D

i got to tell you jack that im loving this debate like a macdonalds burger and hot <deleted> chips. :o

i asked a question about the yellow shirt and the responses are classic.

its good crack mate. :D:o

l

you been drinking again SJ . :o

Made me think for a minute, I didn't close it!

anyway, terry, to answer this question from the two Thai people I know who would give me a straight answer:

hubby: doesn't think anything at all about it, what you wear is your personal choice

cook: think that when it is a long-term farang resident wearing the yellow "I love the king" shirt that it is a very nice show of respect.

Good on yer Terry.

Terry. Reasonable question, and I applaud the fact that this 'normal' question brings out answers from the Norm to the wierd and wonderful :D:D:D

Well, at least then you should know that the important dates in Thailand are not from 1802 to 1914, but from 1870 to 1932, and then 1945 to 1957, and then, highly important the period between 1973 and 1976.

For that you just need to open any history book, no need to be a member of secret societies or to live in a village.

But i understand that books are getting out of fashion now, and unimaginative repetitions of what somebody else has chewed out for you are the flavour of the month.

:o

i would'nt mind one of those buddha's but its a bit over the top for me. :bah:

The Yellow t-shirt AND bald...! its gettin' worse

:D

yellow shirt, silver neck chain, bald scone and cracking handsome as well. :bah::D

I don't wear a yellow shirt for 2 reasons, I don't like yellow as a colour & I feel uncomfortable, as a non-Thai. I do, however, respect the King immensely. I've bought a yellow shirt for my Thai son & he wears it any day, not just Mondays (he chooses his own clothes at 5 yrs old, unlike some of the grown men who say their wives dress them :o )