Palestinian stabs U.S.-Israeli citizen to death at West Bank mall

webfact

Palestinian stabs U.S.-Israeli citizen to death at West Bank mall

2018-09-16T140413Z_2_LYNXNPEE8F0AY_RTROPTP_4_ISRAEL-PALESTINIANS-VIOLENCE.JPG

Blood-stained clothes and a bullet hole in a glass panel are seen at the scene of a stabbing attack near a mall in the Gush Etzion Junction in the occupied West Bank, September 16, 2018. REUTERS/Ronen Zvulun

GUSH ETZION, West Bank (Reuters) - A Palestinian fatally stabbed an American-born Jewish settler in the occupied West Bank on Sunday then was himself shot and seized by armed civilians who gave chase.

The victim, Ari Fuld, 45, was well-known amongst settlers as a pro-Israel advocate. According to his Twitter account, he had planned a lecture tour in the United States in November.

Israeli police said the Palestinian who stabbed him in the back at a shopping mall in the Etzion bloc of Jewish settlements south of Jerusalem was shot and wounded by one of several armed civilians - including a bleeding Fuld - who gave chase.

The suspected assailant was identified by his family as Khalil Youssef Jabarin, 17, from the village of Yatta in the southern West Bank. He was taken into custody.

Palestinian street attacks against Israelis, many carried out by assailants with no known affiliation to militant groups, have been sporadic since 2015, a year after peace talks collapsed.

Hundreds of mourners attended Fuld's funeral, which began close to midnight at a cemetery at the Kfar Etzion settlement in the West Bank.

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu paid a condolence visit to Fuld's family and wrote on Twitter: "I embraced them on behalf of all the people of Israel during their time of terrible sorrow. We live because of heroes like Ari, We will remember him, always."

Western-backed Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas made what appeared to be an indirect reference to the killing while meeting former Israeli officials in Ramallah, the official Palestinian Wafa news agency said.

"Abbas reaffirmed the commitment of the Palestinian side to achieving peace through peaceful, popular resistance, because killing, settlement building, destruction and displacing of residents will not achieve security and peace for any party in the region," Wafa quoted him as saying.

Fawzi Barhoum, a spokesman for the Hamas militant group that rules the Gaza Strip, called the West Bank stabbing a "natural response to Israeli crimes against Palestinians" in occupied territory. It did not claim responsibility for the attack.

David Friedman, the U.S. ambassador to Israel, said on Twitter that "America grieves as one of its citizens was brutally murdered by a Palestinian terrorist."

Friedman, who as a private citizen raised money for Jewish settlements, said Fuld "represented the best of both countries and will be deeply missed". Fuld, a father of four, lived in the settlement of Efrat, in the Etzion area.

U.S. President Donald Trump's Middle East negotiator Jason Greenblatt also issued a comment, on Twitter: "Words cannot express our feeling of loss as an American-Israeli, Ari Fuld, was stabbed to death by a Palestinian terrorist."

Most countries view Israeli settlements, on occupied land Palestinians claim for a state as illegal. Israel disputes this.

(Additional reporting by Ali Sawafta in Ramallah; wWriting by Dan Williams, Jeffrey Heller and Ori Lewis; editing by Jonathan Oatis)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2018-09-17

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1 hour ago, OneMoreFarang said:

If the Israelis (in general) wouldn't treat the Palestinians like $#it then maybe the Palestinians wouldn't fight back.

The word should unite against Israel and it's racist politics. But then again POTUS, one of the biggest racists, is on their side.

Interesting to see that whenever there is an issue between Israelis and palestinians there would be someone here who doesn't like Israel, to say the least, seems to rejoice when israelis get killed or attacked,  always comes up with this repetitive, harebrian unhelpful remarks that are the worst of the racist and hate mongering remarks, Take a rest already guys... 

1 hour ago, OneMoreFarang said:

If the Israelis (in general) wouldn't treat the Palestinians like $#it then maybe the Palestinians wouldn't fight back.

The word should unite against Israel and it's racist politics. But then again POTUS, one of the biggest racists, is on their side.

There was violence way before the 1967 occupation, there was violence before the first illegal settlement came up. There was violence on offer when center-left Israeli governments engaged in peace talks and negotiations. Spin away.

Assailant's family tried to notify/warn both PA and Israeli security forces...

Terrorist’s parents say they alerted PA, Israel before deadly stabbing of Fuld

https://www.timesofisrael.com/terrorists-parents-say-they-alerted-pa-israel-before-deadly-stabbing/

Israeli-American Man, 40, Killed in Stabbing Attack at West Bank Mall

https://www.haaretz.com/israel-news/two-wounded-in-west-bank-shooting-background-under-investigation-1.6472581

My uncle was a chicken farmer in Pennsylvania.  One day when I was a young teen, he was showing me the huge cauldron of chicken manure that sat in the barn, waiting for it to "mature" so it could be used as fertilizer.  I wondered why such a huge vat of excrement didn't stink, and he said "just wait till I stir it!"  With that, he picked up a stick and plunged it into the vat, stirring it vigorously.  "Just watch all the farm hands get annoyed and complain as I do this", he said with an evil grin.  Sure enough, after a few moments people started to notice the foul stench and began to complain.

That's what this discussion is doing - stirring the pot.

1 hour ago, ezzra said:
2 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Interesting to see that whenever there is an issue between Israelis and palestinians there would be someone here who doesn't like Israel, to say the least, seems to rejoice when israelis get killed or attacked,  always comes up with this repetitive, harebrian unhelpful remarks that are the worst of the racist and hate mongering remarks, Take a rest already guys... 

Look at the facts. Israel treats Palestinians like $#it and they get away with it. Other countries who treat part of their people like that get condemned from lots of countries all over the world. If someone would describe this in terms of Country A is doing this to people B then the world would be united that such behavior is unacceptable and the country must be punished. But as soon as it's clear that County A is not Country A but Israel then it seems almost everybody is scared to say something against them.

I think it would be nice if Palestinians and Israelis and surrounding countries would live in peace together. But settling in on other people's land, pushing them out of their existing homes and treating them in many other ways like hated prisoners does not help peace.

The Palestinian grievances are not an excuse for murder nor is this cowardly murder of an innocent civilian any help

to addressing Palestinian grievances.

Like all violence committed against civilians in this ongoing conflict, each killing entrenches the hatred and suspicion and must be roundly condemned by all who wish to see a peaceful end to the conflict.

Another pointless killing, another life wasted another family grieving.

There is no justification for such viciousness, it is the very idea that justification exists that perpetuates the killing.

27 minutes ago, attrayant said:

My uncle was a chicken farmer in Pennsylvania.  One day when I was a young teen, he was showing me the huge cauldron of chicken manure that sat in the barn, waiting for it to "mature" so it could be used as fertilizer.  I wondered why such a huge vat of excrement didn't stink, and he said "just wait till I stir it!"  With that, he picked up a stick and plunged it into the vat, stirring it vigorously.  "Just watch all the farm hands get annoyed and complain as I do this", he said with an evil grin.  Sure enough, after a few moments people started to notice the foul stench and began to complain.

That's what this discussion is doing - stirring the pot.

Well some of it is for sure.

3 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Look at the facts. Israel treats Palestinians like $#it and they get away with it. Other countries who treat part of their people like that get condemned from lots of countries all over the world. If someone would describe this in terms of Country A is doing this to people B then the world would be united that such behavior is unacceptable and the country must be punished. But as soon as it's clear that County A is not Country A but Israel then it seems almost everybody is scared to say something against them.

I think it would be nice if Palestinians and Israelis and surrounding countries would live in peace together. But settling in on other people's land, pushing them out of their existing homes and treating them in many other ways like hated prisoners does not help peace.

International reactions to many things perceived as wrong doesn't conform to your description. Or, at least, the reaction often remains on the level of condemnation, rather than taking effective form. If you need obvious examples for such - China is a good one, but there are others - including many of Israel's neighbors. So your "unity" fantasies are just that - unreal, or referencing how you feel things are ought to be.

And obviously, Israel does get internationally criticized on a regular basis - so "scared to say something against them" is of the same variety as the nonsense above.

Your one-sided point of view ignores that the other party to the conflict is no angle, and that it doesn't quite uphold the same kumbaya notions you seem to support.

I agree that Israel's treatment of the Palestinian is bad, and unhelpful. Where we differ is in seeing it as the only aspect, or even the main one.

27 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I guess you would prefer to kill them all or what?

if they had  just got off their backsides years ago and worked to build a better country like the Israal did then perhaps we would not have had these problems . But all they have ever done is moan moan and fight . 

3 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

So just to clarify, when IDF kills an armed and violent Palestinian it is bad Israel and when Palestinian kills an unarmed Israeli, it is also bad Israel ?

Its a good thing you have balanced opinions ?

20 minutes ago, bert bloggs said:

if they had  just got off their backsides years ago and worked to build a better country like the Israal did then perhaps we would not have had these problems . But all they have ever done is moan moan and fight . 

You forgot , they also spent countless hours to teach and brainwash the youngster as most of this attacks are carried out by either teenagers or early 20’s

2 hours ago, ezzra said:

Oh Ezzra , defender of the apartheid state of Israel ,  the zionists are the racists , they are the perpatrators , they are in the OCCUPIED west bank .

9 minutes ago, mzanzi said:

Oh Ezzra , defender of the apartheid state of Israel ,  the zionists are the racists , they are the perpatrators , they are in the OCCUPIED west bank .

Such apartheid state that has 25% Arab population. Oh the outrage

1 hour ago, BestB said:

So just to clarify, when IDF kills an armed and violent Palestinian it is bad Israel and when Palestinian kills an unarmed Israeli, it is also bad Israel ?

Its a good thing you have balanced opinions ?

Somehow you forgot to mention how often Israeli soldiers wound and kill unarmed Palestinians.

Obviously it would be great if they all live peacefully together. But I have to admit I can understand when many Palestinians get really angry by the way they are treated. They are more or less in the situation where they have nothing to lose. And people who have nothing to lose fight back any way they can.

Think about how you would react if someone would kick you out of your home, then treat you like $#it and laugh at you. And they get away with it. How would you react?

5 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Too much lame-stream media for you obviously. It's Israel who wants to live in peace and the jihadists keep bombing and killing the Jews and don't really want peace. 

5 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

No cites ?   Simply claims ?     Did you know Israel allows Arab muslims to run in elections and hold office ?   I'd like to see one Muslim nation that would allow Jews to run in election and hold office.

I guess raining rockets on Israel is no problem for you.. and bombing buses and pizza parlours before erection of the wall.    Let me tell you something..   if you fired rockets at me and cheered on sucide bombings... I might not be too nice to you also. 

De-bunking The Palestinian Lie!

3 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

But settling in on other people's land, pushing them out of their existing homes and treating them in many other ways like hated prisoners does not help peace.

Neither does stabbing people in the back.

Somehow you forgot to mention how often Israeli soldiers wound and kill unarmed Palestinians.

Obviously it would be great if they all live peacefully together. But I have to admit I can understand when many Palestinians get really angry by the way they are treated. They are more or less in the situation where they have nothing to lose. And people who have nothing to lose fight back any way they can.

Think about how you would react if someone would kick you out of your home, then treat you like $#it and laugh at you. And they get away with it. How would you react?

Somehow you kind of twisting the truth , when so called unarmed Palestinians throwing Molotov cocktails or rocks which kind of makes it not really unarmed 

12 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Right - so you think "fighting back" makes it ok for some punk to randomly pick a victim and stab him in the back?

Any terrorist, and that's what this punk his, are scum who pick on innocent people they think are easy victims. The world should unite against all and every terrorist.

6 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

More nonsense. Palestinians attack unarmed Israelis as well. That's apparently game. Israelis doing so, though, a big no no. As for "nothing to lose" - I'd venture the assailant's house would be demolished  - and regardless of the stupidity of such an action, it sort of blows your argument away. Similarly, had parents felt they had nothing to lose, they wouldn't have tried to report to the authorities. But hey, slogans are cool.

6 hours ago, howbri said:

Too much lame-stream media for you obviously. It's Israel who wants to live in peace and the jihadists keep bombing and killing the Jews and don't really want peace. 

That is not true. The current Israeli government cannot be said to be interested in peace. Not in any meaningful way. And it's not as if all previous Israeli governments were up for that, or that even all offers made had political and public backing.

Both sides often claim to want "peace". What they actually mean is "a peace". As in a peace tailored to their respective goals and narrative. Yes, there are more reasonable, pro-peace voices on the Israeli side, but that doesn't mean they are in a position to affect such, or that even all of their concepts of "peace" are acceptable to the majority of Palestinians.

Long time ago I read an interesting letter to the editor. It was about one of those suicide bombers in Israel.

The letter author wrote something like this:

If the US would give the Palestinians the same planes, copters and other military equipment which they give Israel then there wouldn't be suicide bombers. Then it would be planes and copters against planes and copters.

I know this is simplistic but there is a core truth in this. The US gives Israel every year military hardware for over 3 billion USD. They call it foreign aid and it's the most the USA gives to any country.

Obviously it's up the USA how they want to spend their money. But nobody should be surprised that the Palestinians don't fight with planes. They don't have planes. They fight any other way they can.

Is it good to kill other people with knifes. No.

Is it any better to kill people with bombs from planes or copters? I think the answer is obvious.

2 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Long time ago I read an interesting letter to the editor. It was about one of those suicide bombers in Israel.

If the US would give the Palestinians the same planes, copters and other military equipment which they give Israel then there wouldn't be suicide bombers. Then it would be planes and copters against planes and copters.

I know this is simplistic but there is a core truth in this. The US gives Israel every year military hardware for over 3 billion USD. They call it foreign aid and it's the most the USA gives to any country.

Obviously it's up the USA how they want to spend their money. But nobody should be surprised that the Palestinians don't fight with planes. They don't have planes. They fight any other way they can.

Is it any better to kill people with bombs from planes or copters? I think the answer is obvious.

Yet another nonsense post. Keep'm coming.

Conveniently, no reference provided to the supposed "letter to the editor". No way to judge who authored it etc.

The US Aid provided to Israel is used to but American. That is, money spent on buying US gear, made by US companies employing US citizens.

As for your bogus argument, plenty of deep pockets among countries supposedly supportive of the Palestinians. There's no requirement that the means you wish Palestinian to have be supplied by the US.

Guess your attention for details ignores the fact that US aid to Israel wasn't always in place. Spinning it as yet another excuse and justification for this attack is lame.

5 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Just little fact twisting again.

US does not "give" to Israel, Israel buys from US

Palestinians on the other hand have been getting free money for decades and made their leaders very rich, I believe Arafat was worth over a billion dollars.

Israel does NOT target civilians, Palestinians target civilians ONLY.

Israel gives warning to civilians prior to raids to leave the area, Palestinians just attack any civilian, including in their homes

And finally all those civilians casualties are direct result of Hamas forcing people to stay and hiding ammunition and shooting rockets into Israel from crowded civilian locations, being well aware the spot of origin would be hit .

Archived