"Lovely" farang to the rescue! Dog saved from becoming dinner by Westerner

webfact

"Lovely" farang to the rescue! Dog saved from becoming dinner by Westerner

8PM.jpg

video screenshot

A video posted to a site on Facebook showed an unnamed western man saving a dog from the chop at a butchers.

The dog was put into a carrying case and apparently taken away after a fee was paid. 

A woman can be seen cutting up meat as the dog is retrieved by the man from a sack. 

Comment was rife on the story featured on the "Khot Hia Vs Hote Sat 20+" page and it was shared more than 4,000 times. 

Some defended the eating of dog as "cultural" while other Thais attacked the practice of carving up man's best friend for dinner. 

The tagline on the Facebook page called the foreigner "lovely" for asking to buy the dog.

He seemed to have come prepared to make the rescue with a purpose-built travelling cage. 

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-09-17

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, cmsally said:

Wasn't this the new story about the dog rescue in Cambodia. It looks like the same guy.

Sad to think that this sort of thing goes on, anywhere . . . here, Cambodia or wherever. And when you look at how the meat is being 'butchered', I think that to use that term, here, is an insult to all 'proper' butchers. Any H&S inspections carried out in these parts? . . . I don't think so, somehow.

That skinhead should mine his own business. There is a terrible problem with the huge  population of strays here. That shop was helping to solve the problem. If this culture treats dogs and pigs alike who are we to interfer. What if Hindus went to his home country and bought live cows and set them free? Would he be outraged that a foreigner came there and tried to change the culture? Same with Muslins or Jews and pigs. 

1 minute ago, pegman said:

That skinhead should mine his own business. There is a terrible problem with the huge  population of strays here. That shop was helping to solve the problem. If this culture treats dogs and pigs alike who are we to interfer. What if Hindus went to his home country and bought live cows and set them free? Would he be outraged that a foreigner came there and tried to change the culture? Same with Muslins or Jews and pigs. 

probably change his tune if some rabid stray bit him on the ass.

39 minutes ago, pegman said:

Because eating stray dogs with all their diseases is such a logical and well thought idea of how to reduce the stray populations... 

Actually, in England some Hindus do just that, but I don't see anyone getting their knickers in a twist about it. 

1 hour ago, mercman24 said:

the FRENCH have been eating horses for years and nothing is said, of course its *cultural*  and meant to be a civilised nation ha ha, so dont knock poor people that cant afford to eat steaks like westerners do.

So do the Japanese and the Kazakhs. Actually it doesn't taste bad. I never understand why people think dogs should not be eaten, strange as we regularly eat beef, chicken pork etc. dog is only another meat

1 minute ago, wgdanson said:

Some places in South America eat guinea pigs specially reared for their meat. Reindeer in Norway. And pussy in many places in the world!

Some of those dishes can leave leave a bad taste in your mouth....

.... still, count me in for pussy.

21 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

Some places in South America eat guinea pigs specially reared for their meat. Reindeer in Norway. And pussy in many places in the world!

I believe they also eat cats in parts of South America

53 minutes ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

Hope that extinguishes the myth amongst the rose tinted brigade that Thais don't eat dog meat or that "it's only for export to Laos or Vietnam".

In Sakhon Nakhon it is a delicacy.

There are estimated 500 dog butcher in the Land of Smiles. The smiles stem from the fact that nobody is sleepless for long due to the neighbor's dog barking.

This man runs a dog shelter in Ban Kruat in Southern Buriram Province.I cannot remember his name but I think he is Austrian.

The shelter is a charity supported but donations from overseas.

At any one time the place holds about 150 stray and abandoned animals. The dogs are kept for a couple of weeks and if a home cannot be found for them they are euthanised.

49 minutes ago, upu2 said:

So do the Japanese and the Kazakhs. Actually it doesn't taste bad. I never understand why people think dogs should not be eaten, strange as we regularly eat beef, chicken pork etc. dog is only another meat

So what is wrong with eating horse meat? In Holland you can buy and eat, very good meat to eat.

We kill a rhinoceros only for the horn, a tigre only for his penis. Many sharks only for their fins.

I ate crocodile in the philippines, i ate ostrich steak here back home, rabbit, lamb, deer.

In thailand you can eat spiders, crickets, worms, very protein rich. Maybe i ate dog in Thailand, i dont know. 

Not to forget , humans are the top predators and eat all kinds of meat.

And even at one time, we ate each other (or still? you will not hear)

2 hours ago, mercman24 said:

the FRENCH have been eating horses for years and nothing is said, of course its *cultural*  and meant to be a civilised nation ha ha, so dont knock poor people that cant afford to eat steaks like westerners do.

The French eat snails and frogs.  Isn't it the Belgians that eat horses?

2 hours ago, pegman said:

I had a stray dog for 20 years.  If this man wants to take it upon himself to save this animal, then so be it.  Others may follow his example of kindness.  My one regret is that I can't take on more dogs.   Killing them vs. fixing them is also an interesting debate.  I would like to believe mass sterilization would be a humane solution.

There is a story in China of a dog being poisoned then hours later nicked and slaughtered.  Hours after that people dying of poison.  Living in Asia for 30 years has put me off meat in general.  NGO's say that most dogs slaughtered in China are people's pets.  I called one such NGO in Hong Kong, but did not get a clear answer as to the validity of this information.   

Dogs deter break ins. 

3 hours ago, mercman24 said:

My father said before the second world war in London people ate horse meat. It was a common sourse of red meat to eat.

1 hour ago, upu2 said:

I think it comes down to the fact we dont eat animals that eat meat, cows, sheep, chicken etc dont eat meat..

Archived