Buddhist amulets worn by 70 per cent of Thais, survey finds

webfact

15 hours ago, overherebc said:

A large percentage of those who follow christian beliefs wear a gold cross.

Next!!

That is only for protection against vampires.. 

If you want real luck, you will need a piece of wood from the original cross...?

16 hours ago, webfact said:

Nearly 57 per cent of Thais wear an amulet out of faith, spiritual dependence, or its protective power, 25 per cent due to personal religious belief, and 14 per cent out of tradition and Buddhist practice. Four per cent wear them for other reasons, including as a fashion item.

You learn something new every day: 'Faith', 'Personal religious belief', and 'Buddhist practice' are apparently not the same thing. You see, things really are different in Thailand. ?

My mother in law (very patriotic, royalist, devoted Thai Buddhist) once told my wife that bad things (like car accidents) only happen to people with bad karma. My wife replied that Thailand must thus be the worst country with the worst people on average in the world due to the traffic deaths. (Silence)

5 minutes ago, SABloke said:

My mother in law (very patriotic, royalist, devoted Thai Buddhist) once told my wife that bad things (like car accidents) only happen to people with bad karma. My wife replied that Thailand must thus be the worst country with the worst people on average in the world due to the traffic deaths. (Silence)

Sounds like a fantastic household.

Faith and spirituality should not be equated on the same level with belief in protective powers. It's that specific belief that contributes to the mayham on the roads with drivers thinking they are invincible. Meanwhile all the faith and spirituality does not help the maimed from all the accidents!

28 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

Do you guys poke fun at all religions?

Yes!!

If only the people of the world had the intelegence, vision and general understanding of how the world bumps along like the TVForum members.

No more problems, no more hate, no more wars, no more suffering, no more feeding soi dogs. Pattaya would become famous for its natural beauty and that horrid Bangkok would slip/slide/sink quietly into the bay (it will anyway).

Edited by owl sees all

25 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

Yes!!

If only the people of the world had the intelegence, vision and general understanding of how the world bumps along like the TVForum members.

No more problems, no more hate, no more wars, no more suffering, no more feeding soi dogs. Pattaya would become famous for its natural beauty and that horrid Bangkok would slip/slide/sink quietly into the bay (it will anyway).

Ok got it. Anyone have a cure for Roids?

17 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

Ok got it. Anyone have a cure for Roids?

If you believe - really believe with all your very being - your 'Roids' will be no more.

And boy!! How many times do I have to tell you; "pull up your trousers before leaving god's chamber."?

• Like 1

I always get the pronunciation between amulet and omelette mixed up. Not that I have a chance to say either word very often, but I do wonder why my brain gets confused when the opportunity arises.

One opportunity I had in life was being a infantry paratrooper with Uncle Sam.  It should be said, that quite a few of these solders were a little rough around the edges and yet many had a good luck charm hanging on the same chain with their dog tags. There was all kind of saints and crosses, Jesus heads and a few guys had several of each. One trooper carried some of his father's ashes in a small leather pouch around his neck when jumping.

My wife does not wear an amulet but my daughter does. The gentleman below is a retired policeman and said he use to wear his amulets all the time. Now he just wears them sometimes. I get confused.

At the end of the day, I do not wear an omelette and I make a pretty good amulet...

amulet.JPG

46 minutes ago, missoura said:

One opportunity I had in life was being a infantry paratrooper with Uncle Sam.  It should be said, that quite a few of these solders were a little rough around the edges and yet many had a good luck charm hanging on the same chain with their dog tags. There was all kind of saints and crosses, Jesus heads and a few guys had several of each. One trooper carried some of his father's ashes in a small leather pouch around his neck when jumping.

Native American warriors,some of the toughest and courageous men ever to walk the earth always had their "medicine" or good luck charm/amulet.

I was hanging with an Arizona State Trooper who was a full blooded Apache and he had a tiny bag on a chain around his neck. I asked him if that was his medicine bag and he said it was. I asked him if he believed in that and he said no, that he was a Christian but it was cheap insurance.

14 hours ago, AsiaHand said:

How about those that have a St Christopher statue glued to the dash board of their car ?  " Hey Mon ,Its to protect me in my Chavy"

'I don't care if it rains or freezes-

As long as I have my plastic Jesus-

Riding on the dashboard of my car.

Through all trials and tribulations

As I drive across the nation

Me, my plastic Jesus and my car.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, trianglechoke said:

Buddhism is just as spastic as Christianity then,,, but nothing compared to the full retard of islam

If I ever heard the words 'brace for impact' in real life I would grab the bottle of duty free scotch, not a cross or amulet or whatever. ????

• Haha 1

On 9/17/2018 at 8:45 PM, PerkinsCuthbert said:

If we extrapolate this 70% figure - and there is reason to believe that drivers are if anything more prone to wearing amulets than non-drivers - then of the fifty drivers killed each day on Thai roads, about thirty-five were wearing amulets.

One wonders what these wearers are doing wrong; perhaps amulet-power is helpless in the face of utter stupidity?

In reality they're pretty useless against a ton of metal travelling at 100 mph.

On 9/17/2018 at 10:24 PM, Nyezhov said:

Where, New York? BKK is amulet heaven.

Maybe for selling, but I don’t see many people wearing them, and no Thai people I know wear them.  Ok, the cars are a bit different-even seemingly educated people have a hem in their cars.  You are talking about the villagers that have moved to BKK?

1 hour ago, overherebc said:

If I ever heard the words 'brace for impact' in real life I would grab the bottle of duty free scotch, not a cross or amulet or whatever. ????

I would pray that I had a hottie sitting next to me...and grab her.....

On 9/18/2018 at 8:46 AM, Nyezhov said:

Native American warriors,some of the toughest and courageous men ever to walk the earth always had their "medicine" or good luck charm/amulet.

I was hanging with an Arizona State Trooper who was a full blooded Apache and he had a tiny bag on a chain around his neck. I asked him if that was his medicine bag and he said it was. I asked him if he believed in that and he said no, that he was a Christian but it was cheap insurance.

Only thing I ever carried was one extra round in the fold of my beret.

• Thanks 1