Poll finds most voters welcome easing of political ban but wary of conflicts

webfact

Poll finds most voters welcome easing of political ban but wary of conflicts

Election.jpg

A new poll suggests that although most people agree with the National Council for Peace and Order’s decision to ease political restrictions, they believe that the country should move gradually toward election.

As many as 84.9 per cent of the respondents who will be first-time voters and 86.6 per cent of experienced voters express support for the partial lifting of the ban on political activities.  But 76.2 per cent do not think that there should be a hurry to hold elections.

Only 23.8% of the 1,014 respondents to the poll conducted by Super Poll on Saturday and Sunday said the election should be held as soon as possible.  Super Poll is run by well-known pollster Dr. Noppadon Kannika.

Full story: http://www.thaipbsworld.com/poll-finds-most-voters-welcome-easing-of-political-ban-but-wary-of-conflicts/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2018-09-17

I wonder how valid this poll is.. though i have always wondered about this no matter what government is in power the polls almost always seem to agree with their decisions. Its rare to see one that counters what a government thinks.

Would be interesting to see the actual questions, and to know how they got a good cross section of the public. 

"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery"   Thomas Jefferson

1 hour ago, webfact said:

wary of conflicts

Conflicts only arise with meddling.  The junta is already doing that with their appointed MP's and their campaigning while gagging everyone else.   How much worse is vote buying ? 

3 hours ago, webfact said:

A new poll suggests that although most people agree with the National Council for Peace and Order’s decision to ease political restrictions, they believe that the country should move gradually toward election.

It's working!!! "Stay still Sonchai.  Just a few more scrubs and we'll have utopia!"

index.jpeg.75709a2ed5028e73d54d7a0a042ca315.jpeg

Stop living in fear.   Life is a conflict.  If the police did any work, the protesting that froze the country last time would have been broken up realatively peacefully.  Amazing they let them go on and fester, instead of meeting together to attempt to work things out.  I have never heard anyone address the inaction of the police-letting things go until they exploded.

As another poster said, wait how many more years-it’s like waking for a leach to come out 

Polls can be manipulated to indicate any results desired. That being said, I suspect most Thais want a fair election to be held and then move on and be done with all of the foolishness.

But they also know the likelihood of that happening. 

2 hours ago, cyberfarang said:

Not many realise that Thailand`s political stability is hanging on a thread.

If the present Junta do stand down and put the government up for election, the old factions will be in dispute again and it will lead to civil war. No doubts about it.

The junta is behind all those colors wars. Stability can be achieved if the junta and their wealthy sponsors stop meddling in order to maintain their dominance in power and wealth. You shouldn’t have any doubts if you know the history well. 

3 hours ago, cyberfarang said:

Not many realise that Thailand`s political stability is hanging on a thread.

If the present Junta do stand down and put the government up for election, the old factions will be in dispute again and it will lead to civil war. No doubts about it.

So no reform and reconciliation after over 4 years, then. That was a waste of time, wasn't it?

I take it you don't follow the news all that closely. If the present junta do stand down and put the government up for election, that government WILL be the junta, albeit with (some of) them hiding in the shadows. D' you really think they are just about to scuttle off back to the barracks and smile sheepishly after everything they have done?

8 hours ago, robblok said:

I wonder how valid this poll is.. though i have always wondered about this no matter what government is in power the polls almost always seem to agree with their decisions. Its rare to see one that counters what a government thinks.

Would be interesting to see the actual questions, and to know how they got a good cross section of the public. 

We already know this organisation. Super Poll is the most recent name for theThai Researchers Association for Community Hapiness. You know, the one which made itself famous before for publishing polls with a 93% satisfaction rate about the Junta. ?

And here is the famous Dr.

0.jpeg

12 hours ago, baboon said:

So no reform and reconciliation after over 4 years, then. That was a waste of time, wasn't it?

I take it you don't follow the news all that closely. If the present junta do stand down and put the government up for election, that government WILL be the junta, albeit with (some of) them hiding in the shadows. D' you really think they are just about to scuttle off back to the barracks and smile sheepishly after everything they have done?

Do you really think that as long as so much money can be made in government that there won't be fighting about who is in power. Do you really believe that those who control the old parties have changed their ways ? I seriously doubt it, the only way in my OPINION is to make sure that corruption gets punished thus taking the profitability out of politics. This of course will never (or not in the near future) happen as the junta love to take their cut too and real effective ways of dealing with corruption would hurt them too.

As long as so much money is involved all the major players will use their pawns (the people) even if it means dead to some people.

We will be going right back to were we were before unless some real effort is made to curb corruption. 

Archived