Video: New Zealander collides with Thai motorcyclist going the wrong way on bridge in Rayong

webfact

Video: New Zealander collides with Thai motorcyclist going the wrong way on bridge in Rayong

rayong.jpg

video screen shot

A dash cam video from the car of a New Zealander driving in Rayong showed the moment he collided with a Thai motorcyclist going the wrong way in the right lane on a bridge.

The 28 year old motorcyclist was killed. He was named as a local employee called Worawut. 

Thai Rath said that he was trying to save time by going the wrong way. 

The New Zealand driver - in a Mitsubishi Space Wagon - was not named but was said to be 40 years old. 

The family of the dead motorcyclist do not intend to pursue the case. 

The presenters warned the public that such "time saving" could result in death. 

No mention was made of compensation in the case or the fate of the New Zealander. 

He had told police that after going over the brow of the hill he could not brake in time to avoid the motorcyclist.

Source: Thai Rath

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-09-18

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So the family will not pursue it further... Right! But the NZ should! What about damages to his car, and the psychological factor of having killed someone, even if it's not his fault in any way.. The family should be happy if the NZ don't pursue it further! Sad for them to have lost a family member, but it was to his own stupidity. *If* the motorbike had insurance, it should take care of it, but if not (and thats not unlikely) the family should pay up. Good luck with that though!

2 minutes ago, Lowryderen said:

So the family will not pursue it further... Right! But the NZ should! What about damages to his car, and the psychological factor of having killed someone, even if it's not his fault in any way.. The family should be happy if the NZ don't pursue it further! Sad for them to have lost a family member, but it was to his own stupidity. *If* the motorbike had insurance, it should take care of it, but if not (and thats not unlikely) the family should pay up. Good luck with that though!

But if the Kiwi persued the matter for compensation a la smashed truck (and the rest) the poor petals would lose their oh so vauable face. We can't be having that can we!!

43 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

However, the Kiwi was driving in the 'fast' lane with a clear 'middle' lane, he had just overtaken the light coloured pick-up. Why didn't he move over. He had 4 or 5 seconds to take evasive action

But he was being undertaken by that black car right before the crash. If I had a car undertaking me on the left, no matter if it was in first or second lane I would wait for it to pass before changing my lane.. Just in case, and my focus would be partly in the mirrors. Anyway it also take a moment to realize that the motorbike is actually driving towards you, and not in the same direction as you.

4 minutes ago, kotsak said:

One of the reasons why I can't feel relaxed even when driving on an emtpy road here. You simply don't know what the hell will run into you all of a sudden. ?

Me too. Driving here is very stressful, requires nerves of steel and total concentration. I find a  3 hour drive Bangkok to Hua Hin is mentally exhausting.  I've started taking the train. Slow but relaxing.

2 hours ago, colinneil said:

Another life lost due to stupidity, the motorcyclist was 100% at fault.

What was he doing riding in the fast lane against oncoming traffic?

The dead mans family are not pursuing the case, it would be pointless anyway.

Unfortunately Thai's don't always see it that way and would likely blame the New Zealander  - If he wasn't in Thailand then this tragic event wouldn't have occurred.

2 hours ago, Lowryderen said:

The motocyclist is to be blamed for his own death. But seriously, he's dead, he paid the ultimate price for his stupidity. It's a tragedy for his family. Only a real d**k would want compensation from the dead person's family.

2 hours ago, wgdanson said:

However, the Kiwi was driving in the 'fast' lane with a clear 'middle' lane, he had just overtaken the light coloured pick-up. Why didn't he move over. He had 4 or 5 seconds to take evasive action

Why should he move over. The idiot on the bike got what he deserved. No sympathy from me.

I'm surprised the victim even made it to 40 years old. Like they say, there are old bikers and bold (or stupid) bikers, but not many old and bold (or stupid ones). Can believe they bike wasn't even hugging the shoulder of the road to at least reduce the chance of an accident. Darwin can chalk up another one. 

How do those idiots survive such a long time until they can drive (?) a vehicle.

I would think they killed themselves much earlier : falling out of a tree, drowning in a shallow pond , falling off the back of a motorcycle, eating poison, be run over by the uncle ,

.......it seems Buddha is really taking care of the most stupid ?

The guy in the video : was wearing a helmet ....this proves a helmet can not save your life ,if there is no active brain inside it. 

3 hours ago, colinneil said:

Another life lost due to stupidity, the motorcyclist was 100% at fault.

What was he doing riding in the fast lane against oncoming traffic?

The dead mans family are not pursuing the case, it would be pointless anyway.

Probably would not be pointless. Blame is not an issue when a farang is involved. If the NZ guy was not in Thailand, it would not have happened!.   No doubt the police will extract money somehow!

3 hours ago, Thian said:

This movie should be on the thai news every day again....too many idiots drive against traffic...Thailand only...

I drove 300+ km on what I think is one of Thailand dangerous roads on Sunday, route 212 we had over 50 mortorbikes coming towards us on the wrong side of the road, sometimes difficult to avoid them, many fid not have any lights, none had helmets, some were clearly underage, nobody followed yhe speed limits.  Police ??????? 555

Drive along any road in Pattaya, at any time of the the day and you'll see several motorbikes doing the same. They know they're doing wrong, it's just laziness, they can't be bother to ride a few hundred yards to do a u-turn. Even on the proper side of the road, if they can find a small gap in the central reservation, they'll use that instead of the official u-turn. They're beggars for short cuts, they'll risk getting covered in mud and smeg rather than go the long way round.

I don't like to see any young person getting killed, but this guy was playing Russian roulette. His family and the car driver are the ones I feel for mostly.

1 hour ago, Lowryderen said:

But he was being undertaken by that black car right before the crash. If I had a car undertaking me on the left, no matter if it was in first or second lane I would wait for it to pass before changing my lane.. Just in case, and my focus would be partly in the mirrors. Anyway it also take a moment to realize that the motorbike is actually driving towards you, and not in the same direction as you.

I'm not saying the bike was in the right, but the Kiwi seemed to be traveling pretty fast and could see the motorcycle for quite some time. He should have seen him coming, slowed down and moved over. Again the bike was in the wrong, but I think enough time was available for evasive action to have been taken..

First of all R.I.P to a fellow biker.

I don't know whether this is pure laziness on the part of Thai's,but this behavior can be witnessed throughout the kingdom.They behave as if they're in a real hurry,like the worlds coming to an end today.

Feel sorry for the New Zealander he must be in a right state.

KIWI should not have been in the outside lane.  If he was undertaken by a car in the inner lane, that is where he should have been long before the accidemt.  A typical outside lane hogger -you see it all the time -especially up here in Isaan.  That however does not take away the sheer stupidity of the motorcyclist

Archived