The cost of corruption: Bt100 billion

webfact

45 minutes ago, Srikcir said:

This suggests that even the number of Thailand's government employees reflects corruption.

An excellent post, S, but sadly one that will surprise very few.

I think the huge govt emp/1,000 disparity reflects more than just corruption. I suspect there's great inefficiency (too much paper-passing), lethargy and indiscipline, too. Too little answerability for poor performance, by teachers, for example.

Edited by Ossy
clarity

25 minutes ago, Pedrogaz said:

I read a study about 6 years ago done by some NGO that estimated that 30-50% of everything the government spends in Thailand goes in corruption. Apart from all the kickbacks there are contractors that use inferior and cheaper materials, that done;t meet the specs in the contract etc etc

A few years back, there was a fellow named Supoj who was the Permanent Secretary for Transport infrastructure. He was robbed and 18 million baht in cash was stolen from his house. The thieves were caught and reckoned there was so much cash that they couldn't carry it all away, they took as much as they could carry....it was stored in bin bags and the money was banded with bank wrappers. Supoj earned 30,000 per month and was unusually wealthy, he had a huge compound and lots of flashy cars, and millions upon millions in his and his family's bank accounts. He was in a position to take a cut of every infrastructure project they awarded, but of course he would never dream of doing anything like that. He claimed he earned the money moonlighting doing architectural plans in his spare time.

He was moved to an inactive position but as far as I am aware was never prosecuted and never saw a night in the cells. How can this sort of graft continue....at some point it must wreck the country.

I like the way this low life was rumbled. He must think thieves are terrible people, after that.

The cost of corruption: Bt100 billion

This is a very stupid statement that we hear in the West too, the cost of corruption...

Money from corrupted transactions remains in the economy of a nation and are used to buy other goods and services, so overall that nation will not be poorer because of corruption.

7 hours ago, Pedrogaz said:

He was moved to an inactive position but as far as I am aware was never prosecuted and never saw a night in the cells.

On the subject of the infamous Mr Supoj;

He very belatedly received a 10 month prison sentence for failure to declare 17m baht and a Volkswagon car on his assets. The men whole stole a fraction of the money from him got between 5 - 18 years.