Thai govt bans pigeon feeding

webfact

Govt bans pigeon feeding

By The Nation

pg.jpg

FILE photo

Prime Minister Gen Prayut Chan-o-cha has ordered the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration and other agencies to ban the feeding of wild pigeons, government spokesman Lt Gen Sansern Kaewkamnerd said on Wednesday.

Sansern said the ban is a measure to control wild pigeon numbers and prevent disease.

He said residents filed complaints about that the growing number of the wild birds causing a nuisance.

"The prime minister instructed all agencies to find measures to clean the areas but the birds must not be harmed," Sansern said.

"But the people will not be allowed to feed the birds to reduce their number at each spot. The provincial administrations may set aside areas for feeding the birds."

Sansern cited the pier of Wat Rakang Kositaram in Bangkok as an example of feeding of wild pigeons that caused trouble to passers-by.

He said bird lovers ignored signs and fed the birds, which caused disturbances.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30354795

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-09-19
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Cadbury said:

What's wrong with this country? They feed them to fatten them. They are a delicacy in Asia.

Just because the pigeons take deliberate aim to crap on a general why should that be an excuse to stop feeding them.

Hey Cadbury. Not into eating pigeon, but I scored some Cadbury roses chocolates half price at woolworths supermarket today. If I had a meeting with the PM of Thailand I'd give him a box as a gift. They are the best.

17 minutes ago, Cadbury said:

What's wrong with this country? They feed them to fatten them. They are a delicacy in Asia.

Just because the pigeons take deliberate aim to crap on a general why should that be an excuse to stop feeding them.

Well!! In Pragic Park (UdonThani) at the 'feed the fish' site, they land on one's head and try to peck out your eyes. They also snatch the. food away from the fish.

41 minutes ago, Cadbury said:

Thailand is in Asia but I have not seen pigeon on the menu here.

7 minutes ago, Cadbury said:

They are on the menu everywhere in Vietnam and I am sure in other Asian cities. You need to get out more. 

Vietnam_FoodPigeonPlate_AyuOshimi_CCBY-SA.jpg

I was never sure about what a mate from Lisbon told me about 'city pigeons.'

His story was trap the pigeons in a fall trap, keep them inside a big cage and feed them corn or wheat. At the same time give them drinking water that has had 5 or 6 drops of iodine added to every litre of water. I'm assuming tincture of iodine.

He said the iodine cleared them of germs and parasites etc and it didn't take long to get fat tasty pigeons.

I never looked into it or considered it myself.

I am stuck with the flying rat tag idea.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Cadbury said:

Pigeons are widely eaten in many countries, including Britain and Ireland. Squab, which is just a young pigeon, is a staple on fancy French restaurant menus.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Since my last post on catching and eating wild pigeon I've been trawllng through losts of sites on 'can you eat city pigeons'

Seems to be 50/50 yes/no.

Some articles stating high lead content from car exhausts, but they stopped lead in gas a good time ago. Some say safer than chicken etc, not fed so many anti-biotics, hormones etc. Some say lice and parasites are a problem but that applies to even farm birds.

Best bet seems to be catch wild ones, cage them, keep them until they produce young, feed those well and get rid of the parent birds. However at only 2 or 4 young per year per pair you need a lot of birds to put more than 4 meals a year on the table.

Edited by overherebc

11 hours ago, ChakaKhan said:

I volunteer to hand out fines to the chinese at TP gate and that mess thats out there daily......ignoring the signs..

Only the male and annoying female Chinese. Some of the Chinese females are extremely hot and need another chance by being sat down over drinks explaining to them why they can't.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

Pigeons are widely eaten in many countries, including Britain and Ireland. Squab, which is just a young pigeon, is a staple on fancy French restaurant menus.

Australia too!

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, hyku1147 said:

At TP gate, I saw a Chinese newb pay 100b for a small bag of bird food. LOL

I remember threads from a few years back about a scam where touts were forcing bags of pigeon food into the hands of tourists, then demanding 100 baht for a baht's worth of "pigeon food".  Seems it was happening in the area of the Grand Palace, but I'm sure it was more wide spread than that.  I also recall seeing videos of the scam where the touts (usually little old ladies) were often backed up by burly thugs who made sure the tourists paid up.

I experienced the touts when I first arrived in BKK, alongside the "Grand Palace is closed today" scam.  But as a pretty big and scary (in a Nicolas Cage, psychopath kind of way- not the buff MMA genre) foreigner, they never got a baht out of me.

Edited by impulse
  • Like 1

A Thai district chief has clipped the wings of his town's pigeon population by paying residents to trap the birds and organising a cook-off to build support for the cull.

The campaign to go after hundreds of thousands of pigeons started earlier this week in a district of Lop Buri province - a region better known for its monkey menace.

"The number of pigeons increases four to five times each year, if we don't do anything the problem will get worse," said Plaek Thepparak, the highest government official in Mueang district, who came up with the idea.

That was in May of this year.

Full story:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/05/04/thai-province-organises-pigeon-cook-off-rid-area-vermin/

i look up in the skies of Bangkok and there are less and less birds NOT more

human greed destroying the birds habitat as left the birds living on tops of buildings scavenging for food on pavements and roads

but to Unelected Bangkok Governor Aswipe there be no trees, no birds just chinese immigrants living in Bangkok

Edited by humbug