Skype update awful

Rc2702

After the update often when receiving a call it shows a notification which has no button to click to answer and I must call the person back.  I am still irritated that they took away the personalized voice mail message capability.  I hope it does not continue to deteriorate; it has been a valuable service which I use daily.

• Like 1

I am also holding on to version 7 for as long as possible: when I tried version 8 it was impossible to disable the automatic updates, which I don't want.

I don't have any significant problems with v7. The only annoying thing for me is that when I chat, it orders my lines and those of my interlocutor according to each computer's time. If the other person has the clock off by a minute or two, his lines will appear above mine even if they were typed after. Easy to miss something the other typed.

But I don't want to change, google has become disgusting by now, fb is worse, and everything else would require that all my contacts install it too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, KhunFred said:

Skype has had problems ever since it was bought by Microsoft.

I agree, microsoft killed skype. Now the new skype have cam and microphone issues.

I uninstalled the new one. I found out the first, classic one is still available and installed that one !

IM happy now. I loved the old one and i didnt need the change, as the changes are horrible.

In the middle you have an annoying  little square and your camview cant be dragged to where you want it, its fixed.

Microsoft also changed the cam driver to a microsoft  thing. Got rid of it and changed to the companies cam driver again. First thought this was the issue. Still have some problem with LINE. But before changing had problems aswell in Skype. 

Even the windows 10 and guess also google are horrible, as it seems to me it all changed to one big commercial internet. If you want to find something, it always pop up with buying first, hack even with things you didnt ask for.

It changed gradually to what it is now, a commercial box. DIdnt check yet but are there other non commercial browsers?  

When Microsoft took-over Skype, it was up and down for quite a bit.  I started using Skype through the browser and it was a lot better, but I lost access to some of the settings.  I use a Linux OS, and have now been using the Skype App for some time, without any problems, have full access to settings and had regular updates.  Can't fault it, now.

However, a couple of my contacts have had problems after every update, so I assume that using Skype with a Windows OS is the problem; ironic really.

• Like 2

I 100% agree latest Skype upgrade is awful because of using CPU usage too much & causing the delays. I decide to uninstall it and reinstall the older version of Skype (7.41). It works beautifully apart from one disadvantage - it keeps promoting the dialog if I want to upgrade everytimes I open Skype. Of course I decline it!  

Edited by nabbie
  • Like 2

The main issue a lot of people have with Skype is you can no longer disable automatic updates. Previously if you had it disabled you maybe didn't realise just how often Skype wanted to update itself. Almost everyone I know uses Skype for business conferencing. I can remember when some very large companies banned employees from installing Skype on any work laptop due to security concerns. Back in the day this had a lot to do with the origins of Skype (remember Kazaa) but as part of Microsoft this is no longer the case.

Yes, Microsoft really began to slowly kill Skype upon buying it. 

I just learned that the latest forced updates on both the Android version and the Windows version ("Skype for Desktop", without user consent involuntarily replacing workable version 8.29.0.50) now will no longer let one add, edit, replace, or update the phone numbers of contacts who have provided their own numbers in their Skype profiles. 

One has to follow a convoluted procedure learned only by Googling to overcome this intentional obstacle obviously created by Microsoft in its unfathomable strategic wisdom.

For example, a contact recently provided me by email a new phone number he wants me to use when Skypeing him, but for whatever reason he does not add that number to his own Skype profile.  Maybe he does not want that number to automatically appear for him in the contact lists of dozens or hundreds of his other Skype contacts.

So the only way I could have his new (private?) phone number in my own Skype contacts entry for him was to make a dummy call to the new number, hang up as soon as it started ringing, and then search for the number itself (e.g., +12345678901) that then showed up at the very bottom of my called-numbers or contacts lists (I can no longer remember which list). 

Then I had again to Google how to edit that contact, as it is not intuitive, and Skype's popup help is a joke.  Finally, I converted the numerical name in the contacts list to a real name serving as a duplicate contact entry for this person, e.g.:  "Smith, John [private  +12345678901]".  So now in my Contacts list this entry sits just above "Smith, John" which has the other numbers he provided for his profile.  

Indeed, Skype now will no longer even allow a user to create a new contact from scratch, who may not even be a Skype user, using simply a known phone number for the person.  One has to initiate a dummy call, as described above for an existing Skype user. 

I think it's time to find another messaging provider.  I store private data in contacts-list entries, and don't want it sitting in the Cloud somewhere in some app's server that might get hacked and put on sale on the dark web.

Thus, I don't want services like LINE that upon joining instantly upload my entire Android phone's contacts list, then sends automated messages to anyone already in their system that "So-and-so is now a LINE user ... go say hello", or similar.   This occurred well before I could ever have time to explore any privacy settings to opt out.

Viber does the same thing.  I corresponded with Viber and a rep said it was possible to deny one's contact list being uploaded to their servers, or the fact of my just having joined of LINE to be broadcast to my Android's contacts already on their service. 

But their website's privacy page did not have the clarity of the service rep.  I hesitate to believe her about something not published on their website.

Someone on this thread mentioned Google + Hangup as a messaging app.  I will take a look. 

But if anyone knows an app with excellent privacy opt-ins and opt-outs that do not ever upload one's Android contacts (as distinct from one's Skype contacts, representing a much smaller list with no private information), and allows any wireline or mobile phone number to be called, even if the person is not "registered on the app", I would like to hear about it. 

I am ready to abandon Skype once my current calling balance is used up.  

Edited by Bruce404

I've stopped using Skype. Three weeks ago, on my laptop, Winpro, I lost Audio and Camera on Skype and Facebook Messenger. My relatives who are a bit savvy re computers couldn't fix it. So I put it in for repair in Bangkok. Now I can't get audio and camera on anything!!  It comes up 'Camera and audio not installed.' Have gone through the so called fixes on Youtube, to no avail. Fortunately I have my PC.

Edited by Gandtee
Add words

58 minutes ago, White Christmas13 said:

just to hijack I use messenger talking to Thai people but is it banned in China? I get told by Chinese people they

can not connect to Face Book or messenger

Facebook and Google was having issues when I was there a few years ago,  they were afraid their people would get a taste for, freedom of speech and start voicing their sentiment. They couldnt censor it like their local chat apps.  Most vpns are banned there but some work to use messenger.  Line is better if you chatting to Thais.

1 hour ago, Bruce404 said:

But if anyone knows an app with excellent privacy opt-ins and opt-outs that do not ever upload one's Android contacts (as distinct from one's Skype contacts, representing a much smaller list with no private information

Try facebook messenger, first set it up via pc not to allow any personal sharing.  They had come clean not long ago to stop sharing private info and not read contacts lists.  The advantage is if your chatting overseas most people already have facebook whereas telling them install line or google hangouts if they have ios isnt appealling as these apps drain battery as they are always background monitoring.  Google and messenger have fast connections through thailands greatwall vs skype/ microsoft.