Skype update awful

Rc2702

2 hours ago, KhunHeineken said:

Can you confirm the old versions of Skype are working fine?

Yes. Lots of online confirmation eg. - 

https://download.cnet.com/blog/download-blog/why-microsoft-decided-to-keep-its-classic-skype-app-alive-after-all/

Here is a recent article confirming that 8 lacks features that some people want that are in 7.

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/09/21/skype_presence/

That “trust and openness”, alas, does not extend to the Skype forums, where users continue to protest about Skype 7 functions still missing from version 8 and its ilk.

18 hours ago, topt said:

Yes. Lots of online confirmation eg. - 

https://download.cnet.com/blog/download-blog/why-microsoft-decided-to-keep-its-classic-skype-app-alive-after-all/

Here is a recent article confirming that 8 lacks features that some people want that are in 7.

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/09/21/skype_presence/

So, I downgraded to upgrade. 

I uninstalled Skype 8 and reinstalled Skype Classic.  I had to get it from a third party.  I couldn't get it from the Skype website. 

I still get the notification that this version of Skype will be discontinued soon, something I hope Microsoft removes, since it is now a lie, which deceived me, and took some of my time, uninstalling and reinstalling, across more than one device.

Anyway, I now have the old Skype back that has some features that I like and find handy.

Looks like Microsoft are doing to Skype what they do to their operating systems.  That is, every second operating system is what should have been released.  So, I will hold out for Skype Version 9.  ????

Thanks. 

Edited by KhunHeineken

On 9/24/2018 at 10:09 AM, scubascuba3 said:
On 9/24/2018 at 8:21 AM, elgenon said:
As marcusarelus (please get easier name- haha) said no problem doing international call. The ones I have received have been good quality. But yes, you are right, it doen't go to a phone number. The other person has to have Line. Easy Schmeasy. Probably a lot easy for your friend to download Line than for you to hassle Skype. Note: As m.... also alluded to, if a friend in your contacts (their phone number is listed) has Line they automatically go into your Line contacts.
About 95% of Thais use LIne. How can you live without it? 5555 Don't Leave Home Without It.

I investigated it further and you can call a telephone number using Line i.e. a company, person, whoever, but you do pay for it at about the same price as Skype. First few minutes free sometimes

Thanks for the info. Why do you need to call a phone number? Curious.

26 minutes ago, elgenon said:

"Why do you need to call a phone number?" (asked by elgenon).

Because ...

(1) the person you want to speak to is either not a user of a messaging app like Skype, Line, Messenger, Viber, etc., or

(2) his/her app is not logged-into on his/her PC, Mac, or smartphone, or 

(3) his/her PC, Mac, or smartphone is not connected to the internet

AND

(4) you are in Country A and the person is in Country B, for which international calling using a typical wireline or mobile telephone service would incur outrageously high costs.

FYI, Skype from Thailand to the USA charges US $0.023 per minute (2.3 ¢ents/min.), which is quite reasonable, even for a long call. 

That's why.

Edited by Bruce404

36 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:
1 hour ago, elgenon said:

If phoning a business or a landline, remember them?

A business I understand, but a person just needs to download the app.

But he said, if the person does not have an internet connection. A good point.

A business I understand, but a person just needs to download the app.

But he said, if the person does not have an internet connection. A good point.
How old are your parents? Many older people don't use the internet or have a smartphone.

For me i use it for contacting businesses. I've managed to get my Dad to get a smartphone

I know after the last update for Skype my camera is dark for video calls. Used to be able to go into Skype and adjust the contrast. Skype controls the camera for video calls even with messenger. Now I cannot adjust the brightness and all my video calls are on the dark side.

7 hours ago, pieeyed said:

I know after the last update for Skype my camera is dark for video calls. Used to be able to go into Skype and adjust the contrast. Skype controls the camera for video calls even with messenger. Now I cannot adjust the brightness and all my video calls are on the dark side.

Are you using a phone or laptop? On my desktop at the moment and the advanced video settings (Skype/Logitech) still allow me to adjust brightness etc. 

I received an email from Microsoft / Skype the other day.  Below is an extract of that email.

"We’re letting you know that support for Skype version 7 will end on 1 November 2018 on desktop devices and 15 November on mobile and tablet devices. When support ends, we’ll begin requiring updates to version 8. Although you may be able to use older versions for a little while, we encourage you to update today to avoid any interruption."

I fell for it the first time but this time I will be staying with Skype Version 7 until the very end, unless they have truly addressed Version 8's many short comings.

Edited by KhunHeineken

51 minutes ago, KhunHeineken said:

I received an email from Microsoft / Skype the other day.  Below is an extract of that email.

"We’re letting you know that support for Skype version 7 will end on 1 November 2018 on desktop devices and 15 November on mobile and tablet devices. When support ends, we’ll begin requiring updates to version 8. Although you may be able to use older versions for a little while, we encourage you to update today to avoid any interruption."

I fell for it the first time but this time I will be staying with Skype Version 7 until the very end, unless they have truly addressed Version 8's many short comings.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

5 hours ago, KhunHeineken said:

HA, got the same mail !!

On 10/6/2018 at 9:29 PM, gkroo said:

I also received the same advice and have downloaded version 8 and tried it several times today with video calls to Oz with no problems whatsoever ?

Version 8 works fine.  I used it for a few weeks.  For me, I didn't like the new interface.  The two things I did not like the most was not seeing all of my contacts that were online down the left hand side, and not being able to clear all there history with a couple of mouse clicks.  I would have thought these were basic features that would have been included in version 8.

• 4 weeks later...

So the 1st November has past.  I know my old Skype Classic is still working fine. 

Was anyone forced to upgrade?  Did anyone upgrade by choice?

If anyone is using Version 8, were there any upgrades for it, and if there was, did they fix the many omissions or issues that Version 8 had?

7 hours ago, JimmyJ said:

Skype is owned by major privacy invader Microsoft.

Use Signal for chat. It's encrypted end to end if you chat with someone who also uses it.

"Use anything by Open Whisper Systems." - Edward Snowden, Whistleblower and privacy advocate

https://www.signal.org/

I agree but I use Skype to call mobiles and landlines.  It doesn't look like Signal offers this service. 

With Microsoft trashing Skype, it's always good to have a back up VOIP provider.

Can any member recommend the one they are using?  It must be able to call mobiles and landlines. 

9 hours ago, KhunHeineken said:

I agree but I use Skype to call mobiles and landlines.  It doesn't look like Signal offers this service. 

With Microsoft trashing Skype, it's always good to have a back up VOIP provider.

Can any member recommend the one they are using?  It must be able to call mobiles and landlines. 

It says

"Speak freely

Make crystal-clear voice and video calls to people who live across town, or across the ocean, with no long-distance charges."

I've mainly used it for live chat. I've also used it to call a friend who also uses it so our calls are private.
I have the app on my phone.

I'm not sure how there are no long-distance charges if using one's phone.

Their cs usually responds promptly.
I'm going to contact them myself to ask about the no long-distance charges. I guess they mean the desktop app and it would be a VOIP call, which is what you're looking for.

Edited by JimmyJ

I emailed their cs and just got a response:

"As long as your contact has Signal and registered their numbers on the iOS or Android app, Signal calling (and messaging) is available and free. They can be anywhere in the world. Calls are only available through Signal on a mobile device, not desktop."

Incredible! Not only free but encrypted text and secure phone calls.

And they do not have a copy of everything one has ever texted or spoken, unlike apps like Skype.

"How do I know my communication is private?

Signal is designed to never collect or store any sensitive information. Signal messages and calls cannot be accessed by us or other third parties because they are always end-to-end encrypted, private, and secure."

https://support.signal.org/hc/en-us/articles/360007318911

Edited by JimmyJ

On 10/10/2018 at 3:24 PM, KhunHeineken said:

Version 8 works fine

I disagree. I used it briefly and found that it altered my "invisible" setting on its own. I also found that it was responsible for two PCs running with 100% CPU usage. Removing it and reinstalling V7.x solved both problems.

The new Skype is a mess that I would rather avoid for as long as possible. Indefinitely would be ideal. My V7.41 still works, and I see no need to change it at all.

On 11/9/2018 at 11:00 AM, JimmyJ said:

I emailed their cs and just got a response:

"As long as your contact has Signal and registered their numbers on the iOS or Android app, Signal calling (and messaging) is available and free. They can be anywhere in the world. Calls are only available through Signal on a mobile device, not desktop."

Incredible! Not only free but encrypted text and secure phone calls.

And they do not have a copy of everything one has ever texted or spoken, unlike apps like Skype.

"How do I know my communication is private?

Signal is designed to never collect or store any sensitive information. Signal messages and calls cannot be accessed by us or other third parties because they are always end-to-end encrypted, private, and secure."

https://support.signal.org/hc/en-us/articles/360007318911

I understand it is free but only if the other person also has Signal.  That's fine for friends and family but what if I want to call my bank or insurance company, or any other company, or a tradesman, or a friend or family member who does not have Signal, in my home country?

I need a VOIP provider that offers a paid service to call land lines and mobiles. From my quick look at Signal, they do not offer this service.  Many VOIP providers do offer this service, like Skype.

On 11/9/2018 at 12:05 PM, KittenKong said:

I disagree. I used it briefly and found that it altered my "invisible" setting on its own. I also found that it was responsible for two PCs running with 100% CPU usage. Removing it and reinstalling V7.x solved both problems.

The new Skype is a mess that I would rather avoid for as long as possible. Indefinitely would be ideal. My V7.41 still works, and I see no need to change it at all.

When I say it worked fine I mean it actually worked.  I could make calls on it, but the user interface was terrible, plus the other issues you mention.

I will also stay with Version 7 but did read Version 8 would be released again on the 1st November and like the previous deadline, all other versions would cease to work. 

My Version 7 is still working, so I suppose it's more lies from Microsoft. 

I have no interest in uninstalling Version 7 and installing Version 8, just to see what it is like, just to uninstall Version 8 and reinstall Version 7.  I did this for the last deadline and will not be fooled again.  This is why I have asked the question in another post.

2 hours ago, KhunHeineken said:

I understand it is free but only if the other person also has Signal.  That's fine for friends and family but what if I want to call my bank or insurance company, or any other company, or a tradesman, or a friend or family member who does not have Signal, in my home country?

I need a VOIP provider that offers a paid service to call land lines and mobiles. From my quick look at Signal, they do not offer this service.  Many VOIP providers do offer this service, like Skype.

"I need a VOIP provider that offers a paid service to call land lines and mobiles. From my quick look at Signal, they do not offer this service."

Yes, you are correct. The recipient has to also use Signal for the call to be free, so it does not suit your needs.

On Skype for Android MS has withdrawn the ability to switch off the ringer. That's right, there is no way to silence the app. If you have Skype installed the only way you can prevent it screaming in the middle of the night is by using the global setting on your phone to turn off all sounds.

I find it impossible to believe that the people at Redmond are so moronically stupid to do this unintentionally. So that means they have decided to impose this on their users for some unfathomable reason. God only knows what their agenda is.

2 hours ago, thedemon said:

If you have Skype installed the only way you can prevent it screaming in the middle of the night is by using the global setting on your phone to turn off all sounds.

Does setting to Do Not Disturb not turn off the ringer? If it doesn't, try also turning off In App Sounds in Notifications. Otherwise simply log-out of Skype.

I am bumping this thread.  Is anyone using Skype Version 8 after the 1st November?  If you are, have they fixed all the issues the initial release had? 

Microsoft's threat of discontinuing service to older versions did not materialize, again.  My Version 7 is still working fine and I see no reason to upgrade to Version 8 unless they have done a really good job on fixing it or they really do cut of older versions.