Skype update awful

Rc2702

2 hours ago, willieaames said:

Is there any way to stop the super annoying and frequent Skype updates?

If you're on a desktop try this for Win 10.

Go to Microsoft Store (in Apps Folder)

In Settings, turn off "update apps automatically"

You don't seem to be able to deselect individual apps (if that matters to you).

Silly how you can't do this from inside Skype desktop settings but as others have said before, Skype keep making changes that instead of improving things are in fact backwards steps for many users ????  I still find Skype fine for everyday use, it's the only calling app everyone l need to talk to uses, so something different isn't an option for me so far. 

On 11/16/2018 at 2:13 AM, kkerry said:

Skype keep making changes that instead of improving things are in fact backwards steps for many users

This is the Microsoft Way.  When something becomes familiar and solid it gets replaced with something new, buggy, and annoying.

I have Skype 7.3, I think that's the release before a big change was made. 

I've been running Win 10 for more than 2 years and have yet to sign up at Windows Store, and I'd like to keep it that way.  I have lots of programs installed, some I've been using a long time, so I'm not being deprived.

• 1 month later...

So, I woke up this morning and booted up my desktop computer and signed into Skype. 

I could not get any further than a forced upgrade pop up. 

I Googled around, but there was no new hack to remain on Version 7. 

I am now on Version 8, and I don't see any difference to the woeful Version 8 that was released last year.

I then booted up my laptop, signed into Skype, and the exact same process started. 

It appears Microsoft had started the roll out back in November 18, and are in fact, stopping the use of the older versions, as they said they would do.

Has anyone else experienced this?  If so, does anyone have the hack to remain on Version 7? (Skype Classic) 

Edited by KhunHeineken

5 hours ago, KhunHeineken said:

So, I woke up this morning and booted up my desktop computer and signed into Skype. 

I could not get any further than a forced upgrade pop up. 

I Googled around, but there was no new hack to remain on Version 7. 

I am now on Version 8, and I don't see any difference to the woeful Version 8 that was released last year.

I then booted up my laptop, signed into Skype, and the exact same process started. 

It appears Microsoft had started the roll out back in November 18, and are in fact, stopping the use of the older versions, as they said they would do.

Has anyone else experienced this?  If so, does anyone have the hack to remain on Version 7? (Skype Classic) 

Made some calls 2/3 weeks ago using Classic ver7.xxxxx but when I tried to do the same last week it kept closing it unless I upgraded. So I have had to succumb.........

GUI bit different but still works for what I need it for - other than not getting the active status button to work in the task bar to warn me when I have problems with my connection..........:whistling:

• Like 1

18 hours ago, topt said:

Made some calls 2/3 weeks ago using Classic ver7.xxxxx but when I tried to do the same last week it kept closing it unless I upgraded. So I have had to succumb.........

GUI bit different but still works for what I need it for - other than not getting the active status button to work in the task bar to warn me when I have problems with my connection..........:whistling:

I had to concede as well, but not before trying for a good hour to remain on Skype Classic. 

I liked the interface where those contacts who were online were at the top of your contact list, followed by phone numbers and those offline.  Now, you have to select these different categories separately.  

Strangely, I have an android phone that I did something to months ago, but I forget what, and the Skype update doesn't even appear in the Google Play Store updates anymore.  I wish I could remember what I did, because I have a new phone and would like to stay on Skype Classic for as long as possible.