Skype update awful

Rc2702

Been a lot of unhappiness from Skype users generally about this and Skype have backtracked on closing down Version 7 and allowing it to continue. 

Thanks for the info. I changed back to version 7.xx. So far so good except MS bugs me every time I sign on to my computer wanting me to adopt the new version.

This new version is a piece of garbage........

1 hour ago, marcusarelus said:

You can use Messenger without having Facebook I think.  Seems quite easy.  My children use it to call me.  No cost but you have to remember to put clothes on.

Dont think you can now. Certainly at one point you could. Not 100% sure on that before I get picked up lol

Kinda agree with the skype is so 2010 comment. Cant imagine anyone using it when line and messenger do the same thing

Edited no you cant....I just disabled facebook and its knocked out messenger

Edited by Chivas
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Moti24 said:

When Microsoft took-over Skype, it was up and down for quite a bit.  I started using Skype through the browser and it was a lot better, but I lost access to some of the settings.  I use a Linux OS, and have now been using the Skype App for some time, without any problems, have full access to settings and had regular updates.  Can't fault it, now.

However, a couple of my contacts have had problems after every update, so I assume that using Skype with a Windows OS is the problem; ironic really.

Yes I had skype for a loooong time, then they upgraded and mine didn't work again. Trouble was when i started the new upgrade I couldn't remember exactly what username and password I used. The end result was microsoft said i didn't provide enough info to get my old skype back, which included some credit and stored numbers.

I had to start a new skype. 

25 minutes ago, Chivas said:

Dont think you can now. Certainly at one point you could. Not 100% sure on that before I get picked up lol

Kinda agree with the skype is so 2010 comment. Cant imagine anyone using it when line and messenger do the same thing

Edited no you cant....I just disabled facebook and its knocked out messenger

Download and install Facebook's free Messenger app from your App Store

Launch the app

Select 'I don't have a Facebook account' and click Continue

Click Continue again when prompted that Messenger needs to send you an SMS verification code

Enter your phone number and press Continue

If your phone doesn't automatically pick up the code in the text message enter it manually

1 minute ago, scubascuba3 said:
3 hours ago, elgenon said:
Why do you consider Skype better than Line?

I only use skype for international phone calls to a telephone number. I don't think you can do that with Line or WhatsApp

No problem international calls if the number is in your contacts same with messenger.

No problem international calls if the number is in your contacts same with messenger.
I don't know how that works on Line. When calling you select a contact, it doesn't then ask whether to call a telephone number or Line ID. It also doesn't give you the option to select one of the contacts in the phone. Feel free to shed some light on the process if you know

56 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

I don't know how that works on Line. When calling you select a contact, it doesn't then ask whether to call a telephone number or Line ID. It also doesn't give you the option to select one of the contacts in the phone. Feel free to shed some light on the process if you know

Go to CALLS and touch the little dial pad in the upper left corner and voila. Calls to any IDD number. 

48 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

I'm no expert as I use Messenger not Line but I had to get a appliance fixed and I gave my line ID to the Japanese guy who called me on line and I took a video and photos of the problem and gave it to him in real time and he arranged for a repair guy to contact me and told him what the problem was.   He called me back a couple of times using the Line app. 

1. Open LINE.
2. Tap the profile icon.
3. Tap a contact.
4. Tap Free call.

More questions?  I use google. 

Seriously there are SO MANY other options, why anyone uses Skype still is baffling:

- Whatsapp

- Facetime

- Google Allo

- FB Messenger

- Line

- Wechat

- Telegram

- Wire

And you don’t even need to install an app (provided you have a modern browser) to use things like talky.io or Jitsy Meet. Video/audio calls through browser only

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, DaveBKK said:

Seriously there are SO MANY other options, why anyone uses Skype still is baffling:

- Whatsapp

- Facetime

- Google Allo

- FB Messenger

- Line

- Wechat

- Telegram

- Wire

And you don’t even need to install an app (provided you have a modern browser) to use things like talky.io or Jitsy Meet. Video/audio calls through browser only

Agree completely.  I don't much care for Microsoft and if it is messing up skype simply use another service.  Serves em right. 

Edited by marcusarelus

Download and install Facebook's free Messenger app from your App Store

Launch the app

Select 'I don't have a Facebook account' and click Continue

Click Continue again when prompted that Messenger needs to send you an SMS verification code

Enter your phone number and press Continue

If your phone doesn't automatically pick up the code in the text message enter it manually

You didnt read what I had written.

20 minutes ago, Chivas said:

You didnt read what I had written.

Oh playing games now?  I was trying to help you.  1.  If you want me to read something write it and don't make me go back and look like you are some kind of vicious schoolmarm.   You wrote that you can't use messenger without facebook.  Not true.  You can.  Google it.  I don't like to be dictated to by a fellow I don't know who is too lazy to use google.

41 minutes ago, DaveBKK said:

- Whatsapp

- Facetime

- Google Allo

- FB Messenger

- Line

- Wechat

- Telegram

- Wire

Perhaps because for some of us it still works.........

I still use on the pc (not mobile) and if you are calling fixed line phones, or possibly mobiles, in other countries the cost is generally still quite cheap.......

If the person you want to speak to does not have the other applications or perhaps does not have wi-fi (I actually call someone in that position).....

I'm no expert as I use Messenger not Line but I had to get a appliance fixed and I gave my line ID to the Japanese guy who called me on line and I took a video and photos of the problem and gave it to him in real time and he arranged for a repair guy to contact me and told him what the problem was.   He called me back a couple of times using the Line app. 

1. Open LINE.
2. Tap the profile icon.
3. Tap a contact.
4. Tap Free call.

More questions?  I use google. 
Well I've found it, first 3 mins is free to certain countries and then you pay, about the same as Skype, but I'll try it out once my Skype credit is gone

19 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:
22 hours ago, elgenon said:
Why do you consider Skype better than Line?

I only use skype for international phone calls to a telephone number. I don't think you can do that with Line or WhatsApp

As marcusarelus (please get easier name- haha) said no problem doing international call. The ones I have received have been good quality. But yes, you are right, it doen't go to a phone number. The other person has to have Line. Easy Schmeasy. Probably a lot easy for your friend to download Line than for you to hassle Skype. Note: As m.... also alluded to, if a friend in your contacts (their phone number is listed) has Line they automatically go into your Line contacts.

About 95% of Thais use LIne. How can you live without it? 5555 Don't Leave Home Without It.

As marcusarelus (please get easier name- haha) said no problem doing international call. The ones I have received have been good quality. But yes, you are right, it doen't go to a phone number. The other person has to have Line. Easy Schmeasy. Probably a lot easy for your friend to download Line than for you to hassle Skype. Note: As m.... also alluded to, if a friend in your contacts (their phone number is listed) has Line they automatically go into your Line contacts.
About 95% of Thais use LIne. How can you live without it? 5555 Don't Leave Home Without It.
I investigated it further and you can call a telephone number using Line i.e. a company, person, whoever, but you do pay for it at about the same price as Skype. First few minutes free sometimes

On 9/22/2018 at 6:42 PM, topt said:

Did you change from a Version 7xxx (Classic) to the all new Version 8 xxx?

Been a lot of unhappiness from Skype users generally about this and Skype have backtracked on closing down Version 7 and allowing it to continue. 

It may or may not be part of your issues.

I have stuck with Ver 7 xxx and not noticed any new problems recently.

From what I read Microsoft were going to cut off Skype Classic on the 1st September, so I upgraded.  I am not afraid of change but the new Skype lacks some real basic and handy features that I liked in the previous version.

Can you confirm the old versions of Skype are working fine?  I thought on the 1st September you would be cut off until you upgrade.

Here is one story on it.

https://www.windowscentral.com/skype-classic-be-retired-september-1-replaced-skype-version-80

I will happily go back to the previous version if it is working normally but I have just posted in a thread here where a member has lost use of webcam and audio on his Skype and I asked what version he is using and posted the same link.  

Edited by KhunHeineken

On 9/20/2018 at 8:32 PM, Rc2702 said:

Anyone else having this issue with Skype?

I cannot believe the crap replies you have been getting. Skype update from 7 to 8 sucks monkey balls.  I use a Mac but it equally sucks on the PC.  I suggest you get a copy of the last version 7 from their website and uninstall 8.  The last version of 7 works well on both PC and Mac.

25 minutes ago, TonyClifton said:

I cannot believe the crap replies you have been getting. Skype update from 7 to 8 sucks monkey balls.  I use a Mac but it equally sucks on the PC.  I suggest you get a copy of the last version 7 from their website and uninstall 8.  The last version of 7 works well on both PC and Mac.

If I knew this, I wouldn't have upgraded. 

I used to have a Skype phone. See the blow link.  It was very handy. 

https://www.internetvoipphone.co.uk/rtx-dualphone-4088-skype-phone.html

Microsoft cut these off last year.  I can confirm mine no longer works.

Here's a story from others who were also angry about it.

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/06/09/microsoft_pulls_plug_on_skype_phones/

I thought they would do the same with older versions of Skype, so I upgrade a week before the deadline.  Maybe they will cut off older versions off soon. 

Edited by KhunHeineken

1 minute ago, KhunHeineken said:

I thought they would do the same with older versions of Skype, so I upgrade a week before the deadline.  Maybe they will cut older versions off soon. 

Doubtful but they will probably nag you to upgrade.  Just ignore it.  I use Skype for making personal and business calls around the world.  Version 8 dropped the ability to use my Mac Contacts to make phone calls.  Imagine calling 8 an upgrade when it deletes a vital function.  I have both 7 and 8 installed on my Mac.  Version 8 sucks.  Version 7 does not.  I'll keep upgrading 8 as both versions can coexist on my Mac.