THAI plans swift upgrade of fleet to reverse losses

webfact

4 hours ago, ukrules said:

Why not increase the prices to make more money?

Years ago I went to a beer bar where the prices were more expensive than neighbouring bars. I casually asked the owner why that was. The answer: "No ferangs, so need to charge more to make money."

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

Singapore Airlines work on 2 simple strategies to be profitable and they have been profitable since founding in 1972. Yet SIA is also the lowest cost airline among its key competitor. Their differentiation is service and low costs. Service improvements through recruitment procedures, intensive training and of course a well-developed culture combined with continue innovation. Low cost maintained with new fleets, rigorous standardization, low maintenance costs, outsourcing and productivity. Of course they also have world class managers. A new fleet for Thai Airways without a complete overhaul of the structure and culture is a waste of time and money.  

Agreed.  I worked for another Asian airline for a few years and they were the same.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, aircooledflat4 said:

I’d like to use Thai as they’re a direct flight for me but since they can’t be arsed to park at a gate like a normal airline and just drop you on the tarmac and shuttlebus you to the gate..  and not even close to immigration where you’d expect to be dropped off... oh no.... that’s a bit much to ask.... still gotta walk half mile through the walkways just to rub it in.... bloody rude.. never again will I use their so called service.

A bit off topic but I can never understand why so many empty gates with air bridges and they do this. Took my baby son to Oz earlier this year. Had him in his stroller, a bag with his feeds, diapers, change of clothes,etc and also carrying a large pillow. Down the air bridge and was directed to a bus, down flights of stairs carrying all the stuff and no one helped down the stairs, in or out the bus and up the stairs into the plane. 

5 hours ago, webfact said:

Somkid says THAI needs a new business strategy that can turn around its business amid increased competition in the airline industry and that would require buying new planes to increase customer satisfaction. 

Why?  THAI is already rated the best economy product.  Such a strategy would put THAI much deeper in the red.  Sounds like a strategy to make the phuyai happy.  Refit existing aircraft with better seat configurations and improve service will improve the customer experience and help save costs.

Just now, Dazinoz said:

A bit off topic but I can never understand why so many empty gates with air bridges and they do this. Took my baby son to Oz earlier this year. Had him in his stroller, a bag with his feeds, diapers, change of clothes,etc and also carrying a large pillow. Down the air bridge and was directed to a bus, down flights of stairs carrying all the stuff and no one helped down the stairs, in or out the bus and up the stairs into the plane. 

The simple answer is that they don't care about the customer, just about their own needs and where they want to position the aircraft for their convenience.  Bangkok is the only airport I know where the major state airline in residence doesn't  get the pick of the best gates available and that says  it all.  They don't get them because they don't want them. 

3 minutes ago, Dibbler said:

Why?  THAI is already rated the best economy product.  Such a strategy would put THAI much deeper in the red.  Sounds like a strategy to make the phuyai happy.  Refit existing aircraft with better seat configurations and improve service will improve the customer experience and help save costs.

sorry, but it will not.  Its all about fuel efficiency and  yield management.  Economy flies on the back of business class, always been that way.  No good putting new seats and having a better service if your aircraft is guzzling fuel.  If low cost airlines have shown anything, its that these rules till apply. Sod the seats and the service, just fill up a  fuel efficient aircraft, actively yield manage your seat costs  and you make money.   Norwegian are now proving that  fact on longer haul flights. 

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, BoganInParasite said:

A fleet upgrade is but one factor in a recovery. I've half a work lifetime in airlines and once flew Thai quite regularly. My top of the head recovery list would include:

• Fleet upgrade and rationalization (newer aircraft, less types)
  • Half the board, the CEO and at least half the top execs to be experienced and foreign airline execs
  • Reduced government ownership and removal of government participation in decision making
  • Cut prices now (to chase volume)
  • Drastic reduction in free VVIP/VIP tickets
  • 25% staff numbers reduction
  • Refresh on-board product and lounges (hard and soft elements)
  • Retrain customer facing staff in providing genuine customer service
  • Sell loss making subsidiaries

Or just sell it to Singapore Airlines.

They could also improve the FF program, reduce miles needed for upgrade and flight awards, and make it easier to get to Star Alliance Gold.  Currently with Royal Orchid Plus it takes 50K miles in one year to get Gold for only one year then you have to requalify.  With Asiana you only need 40K miles accumulated in 2 years and you get an additional 2 years at Gold status.  

8 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

Agreed.  I worked for another Asian airline for a few years and they were the same.  

Especially the South East Asia airlines like MAS or Garuda. Same problems like TA. I was quite surprised that Cathy which has been a stellar profitable airline had a loss last year. Tough industry especially with the increase in budget airlines. Even they are not spared in terms of profitability like AA and Nok. The increase in fuel costs will further erode their bottom line.  

44 minutes ago, Bangkok Basha said:

Thai International's prices are completely uncompetitive with other (better) carriers, including ANA and Singapore. Every time I try to give Thai a chance, their prices are often double those of other carriers in Economy class, and Business is even higher. Their service isn't bad, and their Economy Class service is highly ranked by Skytrax and other agencies, but their prices are out of hand. They don't need a bunch of new planes, but as someone pointed out, that's the only way the senior executives can line their pockets quickly before they lose their jobs to the next government-appointed management team. I'm sure their payroll is bloated with political appointees.

Bangkok to Ho Chi Minh City in Vietnam a good example of fares:

- At times, one way on a budget carrier - as low as 2,000Baht including luggage.

- At times on Thai inter, one way, including luggage, as much as 25,000Baht. 

• Like 1

And how many times has  K. Somkid flown free with THAI ?

Hundreds of current and retired  airforce brass, government officials and influencial families travel free in 1st class and other premium classes.Many get multiple freebies annually.

Economy class is very expensive because it has to subsidize those crooks sitting up front.

20 years ago there was a job advertised  in the Bangkok Post  for a senior position at THAI.

One of the requirements was you must divulge your criminal history.

Its OK to kill someone as long as you're honest about it.

TIT.

26 minutes ago, Dazinoz said:

Welcome to Thai cabin crew / ground crew arrogance.