THAI plans swift upgrade of fleet to reverse losses

webfact

Found this on the web 2015

Thai Airways International (TG, Bangkok Suvarnabhumi) has removed the A340-600 from its scheduled network as of March 28. The aircraft are currently regularly used on the Thai national carrier's long-haul routes to Frankfurt Int'l and Zurich and regionally on some of its flights to Singapore Changi.

Starting March 29, Thai will only serve Frankfurt once daily with its A380-800 and replace the A340-600s used to Zurich on a daily basis by B777-300s.

Until the end of next month, the airline's four A340-600s are also scheduled to operate some irregular rotations to Delhi Int'l, Hong Kong Int'l, Sydney Kingsford Smith and Tokyo Haneda.

54 minutes ago, Toosetinmyways said:

What become of the numerous A340.

Stored or scrapped

Three out of four of the A340-500s (the long range version) are in storage (I think some are at DMK) with one going to the RTAF. The A340-600s are also in storage, with not much chance of a buyer.

https://www.airfleets.net/flottecie/Thai Airways.htm

Edited by Wiggy

The 3 A340-500s still in storage since 2014. Readers will remember that they actually had a decent offer a couple of years ago from a private Middle East buyer to convert them to VIP. Turned down by Thai and at a time when nobody airline wanted this type of a/c not even the Iranians.

Edited by tso310
misstype
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/24/2018 at 1:54 AM, tso310 said:

The 3 A340-500s still in storage since 2014. Readers will remember that they actually had a decent offer a couple of years ago from a private Middle East buyer to convert them to VIP. Turned down by Thai and at a time when nobody airline wanted this type of a/c not even the Iranians.

Unfortunately, that failure to take what was a decent offer, even though it was lower than what they had it books for, says an awful lot about their management style.

Most airline managements would have recognized that the A340-500 were almost worthless, and if not leased would would have ripped off the arm of any offer, regardless of what it was just to unload it and taken the residual loss. 

As it is they are just saddled with 100% loss!

Welcome to Thai(lala)land

9 minutes ago, Grouse said:

I used to have gold status on Thai

What a poor airline

1) Still no lounge at Phuket domestic

2) Crap lounges generally 

3) BKK buses! What a farce! Up and down staircases in all weathers. Elderly business class loaded by fork lift. First and business share buses with the peasants

4) only reasonable seating on 777ER and A380.

5) Poor food

6) Serve port in thimbles

EVA is far superior

I had gold card also, at one point I asked for a free ticket for my 18 year old Thai son, all hell broke loose, the gold card people insisted that it was not legally possible for my Thai son to have a typical Thai first name and a typical western family name, therefore no ticket. Showing his Thai ID card and more was fruitless; no ticker possible. Plenty of other airlines.

Depart Bkk on evening flight to Jakarta Indonesia in business class. a few minutes after reaching cruising altitude I asked for a gin and tonic. Response ; 'gin finished for today'. No apology, no suggestion of an alternative drink, just walk away.

Maybe 30 minutes there was no service at all and no response to pushing the overhead service button (this is business class), the reason was quickly discovered, the bus. class cabin crew were having a birthday party in the galley. 

From Jakarta I called Thai. Inter complaints; response: 'but they were just having some fun with their friends'. 

Edited by scorecard
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, scorecard said:

I had gold card also, at one point I asked for a free ticket for my 18 year old Thai son, all hell broke loose, the gold card people insisted that it was not legally possible for my Thai son to have a typical Thai first name and a typical western family name, therefore no ticket. Showing his Thai ID card and more was fruitless; no ticker possible. Plenty of other airlines.

Depart Bkk on evening flight to Jakarta Indonesia in business class. a few minutes after reaching cruising altitude I asked for a gin and tonic. Response ; 'gin finished for today'. No apology, no suggestion of an alternative drink, just walk away.

Maybe 30 minutes there was no service at all and no response to pushing the overhead service button (this is business class), the reason was quickly discovered, the bus. class cabin crew were having a birthday party in the galley. 

From Jakarta I called Thai. Inter complaints; response: 'but they were just having some fun with their friends'. 

There's no winning against absolute, nationally consistent stupidity. Either we succomb and accept or find better horizons elsewhere. For my first 15 years, I thought I could change them. Alas, I am happy now in acceptance. 

• Like 2