Air force to expand helicopter fleet

webfact

Air force to expand helicopter fleet

By The Nation

H225M.jpg

FILE photo

Airbus Helicopters has received an additional order of four H225M (previously known as EC725) multirole utility helicopters from the Royal Thai Air Force (RTAF), as part of the fleet strengthening programme. This follow-on order will bring the RTAF’s H225M fleet to 12 by 2021.

Specially equipped with emergency flotation gear, fast roping, cargo sling, searchlight and electro-optical systems, these four new multirole H225M helicopters will join RTAF’s existing fleet of six H225Ms for combat search and rescue missions, search and rescue flights and troop transport operations. The air force will also be receiving two H225Ms from its earlier order, by end of this year.

This latest contract will also cover on-site technical support and continuing airworthiness management organisation services, supported by Airbus’ Thailand team.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30354920

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-09-21

1 hour ago, ZeVonderBearz said:

Good piece of kit to blast any Royhinga back to where they belong if they dare try and get to Thailand. And keep those chaps down south in check, nasty lot. 

Also very good at flying in relief supplies, rescuing people in natural disaster scenarios such as flooding too.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Ossy said:

Helicopters? . . . yes, they're always better for making a quick escape from Government House. The PTB have realised, at last, that you can't get a big submarine so far up Nakhon Ratchisima Rd.

You will be able to in a few years........:biggrin:

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Sydebolle said:

Well, after all you need equipment to rescue the crews of the three submarines, in case of need ? 

I assumed the thinking would be a long length of garden hose going down to the submarine for them to breathe, then they could stay down there for months - ahh, minus the somtam though.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, wendyfromoz said:

is it just me?  The thai government seems to love buying military hardware.  Submarines, fighter aircraft, tanks and now helicopters are they preparing to invade their neighbours?

It won't be a very big invasion - using all 12 gives a lift capacity of 348 blokes - which doesn't go very far on a full fat battlefield!

They are however jolly useful, fitted with comfy seats, for flying Generals around.

I wonder if the roof of Government House is strong enough...

25 minutes ago, robiw said:

The world has changed. I can guarantee that there are no ‘unofficial’ commissions or payments by Airbus these days to anyone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Guarantee" is a pretty strong word that I certainly would not bet on in these times of worldwide corruption.

26 minutes ago, robiw said:

The world has changed. I can guarantee that there are no ‘unofficial’ commissions or payments by Airbus these days to anyone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh I'm sure that there are ways around it...

13 hours ago, wendyfromoz said:

is it just me?  The thai government seems to love buying military hardware.  Submarines, fighter aircraft, tanks and now helicopters are they preparing to invade their neighbours?

Let's not forget the 2017 the military's $67 million purchase of 34 armored personnel carriers from China and five Harpoon Block II anti-ship missiles from the United States at an estimated cost of US$24.9 million.

Also the five new M-21 patrol boats and $26 million 155 mm ATMOS artillery in 2018. 

And maybe the Bt91-billion deal with the US-based Theia Group Inc. for spy satellites.

What's in your wallet?