Have you ever been discriminated by Thais?

TeaMonkey

7 hours ago, CharlieH said:

House services / builders /repais etc

Any Store (that doesnt display prices)

Csr/bike services

Hospitals / Dentist / Vet

Just about anything that involves cash that doesnt have a ticketed displayed price I find an attempt is made to extract more money if you are not Thai.

That's about right.

One time though, i had the satisfaction to see a couple, probably from Bkk, being overcharged at the local mom&pop store.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, CharlieH said:

House services / builders /repais etc

Any Store (that doesnt display prices)

Csr/bike services

Hospitals / Dentist / Vet

Just about anything that involves cash that doesnt have a ticketed displayed price I find an attempt is made to extract more money if you are not Thai.

Or if you are a wealthy Thai. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, mauGR1 said:

They'll learn quickly !

If they're just tourists, they don't really need to. 

The member's point about race based pricing on major expenses (potentially even ruinous) like medical and housing work is serious stuff and a serious downside for foreigners living in Thailand. 

• Like 2

On 9/21/2018 at 8:26 AM, NaamGin said:

I was thinking the same, go ask some long-term expats about their experience with double pricing. Some details about just what people think they are being overcharged for would be helpful too. 

Presumably long term expats dont care otherwise they wouldnt be long term. They would have left. The long term expats benefit from all the free festivals, events, Wat fairs, Rocket festivals,  Music festivals   Firework displays,  massive events like the Ghost mask festival or the Nong Khai dragon fire balls, the mega vegetarian festival etc etc etc. All free. 

• Like 1

I think people in all countries are guilty of overcharging. I taught ESL in America for years and my refugee and immigrant students complained about being overcharged, most often by mechanics for car repairs. In New York City con artists take advantage of tourists ("He must have seen you coming"). All over the world, some are good and some are bad. Actually, I found the Vietnamese to be much more aggressive at overcharging foreigners. In fact, at one time I believe it was institutionalized, higher prices for foreigners were posted at railway and bus stations.

On 9/22/2018 at 7:19 PM, The manic said:

Presumably long term expats dont care otherwise they wouldnt be long term. They would have left. The long term expats benefit from all the free festivals, events, Wat fairs, Rocket festivals,  Music festivals   Firework displays,  massive events like the Ghost mask festival or the Nong Khai dragon fire balls, the mega vegetarian festival etc etc etc. All free. 

Most of those things are crap tbh

If they were happening in my garden I wouldn't look out the window.... 

• Thanks 1

On 9/21/2018 at 12:54 PM, patrick1968 said:

I wish he will ask that question for the people that is living her ,,,

True, most of the people interviewed arrived yesterday or not here very long etc.

Not what anybody could describe as research.

• Like 1

Formally in a museum and national park twice. Informally in mum and pop type businesses, but not that much money involved. The Thai wife occasionally suggests I make myself scare for a bit. Last Sunday in Nan she wanted a couple more young fruit trees from a temporary vendor. Price was at least 60% less per tree compared to what we paid together a week earlier at the same vendor.

43 minutes ago, unamazedloso said:

Ask Me!

Everyday things happen but small things mean nothing we cant deal with but that said everyone from mayors to police have openly stated they wont listen to issues we have because me, the husband is white!

It means we have to deal with neighbouring illegal activity that is toxic to the surrounding people. I bought pm2.5meters and rallied everyone and had lawyers involved and nothing will be done because my wife married a farang and has 1/2kids therefore not worthy apparently. We should just move is the mentality of thais and in the past we have. Lived in 11provinces and have had dramas for which we thought we should move 3times for safety. Not any more though. We'll fight.

Even when getting new water pipes put in in our street the government wouldnt connect ours but connected everyone elses so i did it myself. They just laugh. We arent invited to local activities, we arent allowed to know what local projects are happening or what events are taking place. Its seriously bad. This is all stuff that wouldn't happen to tourists.

Thais are incredibly racist and arent on the same level mentally nor educationally (not all and im not racist just stating facts as i see) therefore anything that comes from a farangs family mouth is considered annoying, complaining, etc. Its like we were born rich which is just rubbish.

I have millions of examples but we live with it so when going to a national park i would think equal pricing be the norm but nooooooo!

Not to the same extent in the village so much although we did have to fight to get a concrete road as they stopped it right where my property starts ! We fought through the father-in-law but initially the response was "farang can pay" which I flatly refused.

Some time later the road was extended but now stops 3m from my entrance and told I have to pay or do it yourself if I wanted any different.

When they gave out Free bins to everyone for rubbish collection we didnt get one until we went and asked for it.

They also tried (years ago) charging us double for our water supply.

• Like 1