Walmart warns Trump tariffs may force price hikes - The Hill

webfact

56 minutes ago, tomacht8 said:

What do you think of his idea to build a wall in the sahara?

I haven't followed that story, but if anything to with, I would like they build a wall around my home country and actually the biggest part of the EU.

I think many Europeans share my opinion

3 minutes ago, janclaes47 said:

I haven't followed that story, but if anything to with, I would like they build a wall around my home country and actually the biggest part of the EU.

I think many Europeans share my opinion

"Many" is one of those words that has little significance when you're referring to roughly 500 million people.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, janclaes47 said:

Not every European lives in Thailand, and post that it is all roses and moonshine in Europe.

How about changing many to the majority?

In France, Le Pen had to kick out her anti-EU right hand adviser because even working class French people were against it. In Italy, the majority of citizens don't even want to abandon the Euro, much less the EU.. Clearly yours is a minority opinion.

8 minutes ago, bristolboy said:

In France, Le Pen had to kick out her anti-EU right hand adviser because even working class French people were against it. In Italy, the majority of citizens don't even want to abandon the Euro, much less the EU.. Clearly yours is a minority opinion.

In case you didn't notice yet, this has nothing to do with the Euro, rather with avoiding the Dinar becoming the most used currency in Europe.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, vinegarbase said:

Why is anyone assuming so called 'Trump voters' actually care about what happens to Wal Mart? Please tell me what would happen if Wal Mart closed stores in these areas of 'Trump voters'?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2016/02/05/what-happens-to-a-tiny-town-when-walmart-disappears/?utm_term=.6e927a3adecd

https://www.consumerreports.org/consumerist/what-happens-when-walmart-decides-to-close-a-store/

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/jul/09/what-happened-when-walmart-left

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, bristolboy said:

So the result is that the chokehold monopoly of Walmart and China inc. leaves a great hole in the community which exposes the threat of allowing a huge multinational company and a foreign power complete control over your economy. This is a good thing because it leaves room for entrepreneurship and for local business to create and rebuild. It helps local communities to learn to be resilient again and independent. It is painful short term but in the long term it is a good thing. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, vinegarbase said:

So the result is that the chokehold monopoly of Walmart and China inc. leaves a great hole in the community which exposes the threat of allowing a huge multinational company and a foreign power complete control over your economy. This is a good thing because it leaves room for entrepreneurship and for local business to create and rebuild. It helps local communities to learn to be resilient again and independent. It is painful short term but in the long term it is a good thing. 

Actuallly, if you had bothered to read the articles you would see that it results in the destruction of those communities as people move away.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

screwed a lot of small businesses

Employs 1% of the US working population.

A recent study found that while some businesses suffer, nearby shops that offer products not sold at Walmart tend to do well. https://quickbooks.intuit.com/r/marketing/facts-and-fiction-about-the-walmart-effect/

In 2018 Walmart sales were about $230,000 per employee with a net income of about $3,000 per employee.

https://csimarket.com/stocks/WMT-Efficiency-Comparisons.html

Seems Walmart screws a lot of inefficient small businesses.

19 hours ago, janclaes47 said:

Glad you finally agree that Trump is a smart guy, the Americans get their goods at the same price, while the Chines pay a premium for their US imported stuff.

You see once your eye shells fall off, you can be a Trump supporter.

Welcome to the club.

Except the Chinese will boycott American made and know the rest of the world 6.5 billion plus will buy Chinese.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nyezhov said:

Walmart in cahoots with China, screwed a lot of small businesses

1 hour ago, Srikcir said:

Employs 1% of the US working population.

A recent study found that while some businesses suffer, nearby shops that offer products not sold at Walmart tend to do well. https://quickbooks.intuit.com/r/marketing/facts-and-fiction-about-the-walmart-effect/

In 2018 Walmart sales were about $230,000 per employee with a net income of about $3,000 per employee.

https://csimarket.com/stocks/WMT-Efficiency-Comparisons.html

Seems Walmart screws a lot of inefficient small businesses.

Don't bother, the man-child supporters are not into facts. It's all feelings for those guys.

• Like 2

Except the Chinese will boycott American made and know the rest of the world 6.5 billion plus will buy Chinese.
China doesn't really buy American anyway. They just copy it and sell fakes of American intellectual property.

The trade imbalance is 550 billion a year in China's favor.
They flood America with their goods and buy very little American made.

Sent from my EVA-L19 using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Kiwiken said:

Somehow I dont quite think that 6.5 billion sets of flip flops will keep their economy humming....

22 minutes ago, Becker said:

Don't bother, the man-child supporters are not into facts. It's all feelings for those guys.

Following me around I see?  Must  be threatened by the fact that folks can discuss and have fun with out name calling.......5555555555555

Edited by Nyezhov

40 minutes ago, sebastion said:

China doesn't really buy American anyway. They just copy it and sell fakes of American intellectual property.

The trade imbalance is 550 billion a year in China's favor.
They flood America with their goods and buy very little American made.

Sent from my EVA-L19 using Tapatalk

Ever wondered why Trump hasn't placed tariffs on US companies products exported from China to the US e.g. Apple. However, you may like to get the bigger picture....

https://www.thebalance.com/u-s-china-trade-deficit-causes-effects-and-solutions-3306277

• Like 1

19 hours ago, vinegarbase said:

Walmart receives an estimated $6.2 billion in subsidies every year, primarily from the Federal Government.

1 hour ago, vinegarbase said:

Actually I don't need a news story to tell me anything. If you have ever lived in communities or know people who live in communities like these then you know the truth that it was Walmart who destroyed them as soon as they came. Walmart comes into these small towns and drives all the small family owned businesses out of business. Then if Walmart goes out of business they are left with nothing. I don't blame some for moving away but as I said it leaves room for locals to restart and rebuild business once the Walmart/ China inc. monopoly leaves.

Except that's not what happens. Except in your fairy tale view of economic reality. I think we can call your view of it "The if we build it they will come" theory. In fact, the young people move away, there's a declining consumer market and that's the end.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Srikcir said:

I stand corrected. I read the USA Today report and thought it true as they're usually accurate.

Reporting is so difficult to decipher in these times and I usually do better diligence.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Nyezhov said:

Somehow I dont quite think that 6.5 billion sets of flip flops will keep their economy humming....

What reality do you live in Flip Flops. The manufacturing capacity of China is great from the shoes on your feet to the hat on your head. Every item in a home, every tool in your workshop, Food, packaging, tyres a miriade of everything flows from China. Cheaper and often better made than US or European made goods. The World could live with out US made goods but like japan in the 60's and 70,s the dependence on China would take 40 years to wean off. Then on top of this is the massive Chinese investment in Africa and the Asia pacific Region. As the United Kingdom bowed to the USA in the 1930's so we see the baton pass to China. Reality bites.