Which fast family car?

CarlBkk

Looking for a car ideally new but second hand also an option. Need to compromise between a “family” car with 4 doors and storage, SUV type, and something which is non-boring and has some torque. 

Mazda CX5 is sensible choice, but I’d way prefer a 2014 Evoque or a 2012 Audi Q5.

Are repair and maintenance costs ridiculously high for the latter two?  What’s reliability like for 2012-2014 models?

opinions welcome!

We went to test a CX5 which was definitely best of the bunch, we were not going to pay stupid money for a Merc or BMW which were no better. I saw the CX3 and drove that as well, it goes like a rocket, corners on rails and huge saving on CX5. Best choice but it is smaller.

Kia Sorrento, 0-100 less than 9 sec really comfortable ride had mine 4 years looked at BMW X1 and Mazda not as good value for money plus a 5 year warranty. Because of the torque a  bit heavy on tyres lovely car with lots of bells & whistles.  

Not really an SUV, but a lot more comfortable, four doors, a huge boot for storage, and I think you'll find more power and torque than you're ever likely to use!

Edit - just seen you added your budget - maybe put this one on your bucket list then...

2001_bentley_arnage_4_dr_red_label_turbo_sedan-pic-43231-1600x1200.jpeg

Edited by Shadychris
  • Like 2

All great suggestions, thanks.  Testing out the CX5 diesel for a second time tomorrow but will also look up the Kia Sorrento.  Budget 2.4mb.  I think getting anything "special" new is out of the questions.  Would love a Benz GLC but not going to happen given the price (A class a bit small?). BMW 520i also seems to be spacious..

Caveat:  doesn't HAVE to be an SUV so long as it has space for 3 people in the back and boot storage big enough for bicycle or such.

Edited by CarlBkk
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, CarlBkk said:

All great suggestions, thanks.  Testing out the CX5 diesel for a second time tomorrow but will also look up the Kia Sorrento.  Budget 2.4mb.  I think getting anything "special" new is out of the questions.  Would love a Benz GLC but not going to happen given the price (A class a bit small?). BMW 520i also seems to be spacious..

Caveat:  doesn't HAVE to be an SUV so long as it has space for 3 people in the back and boot storage big enough for bicycle or such.

List price of a Mazda CX5 2.2XD is Bht 1,560,000. You'll have plenty left of you 2.4M.

1 minute ago, wgdanson said:

List price of a Mazda CX5 2.2XD is Bht 1,560,000. You'll have plenty left of you 2.4M.

Yes I would, but UK press seems to pitch the CX5 against the top European brands and it comes out as being very good VFM...which makes it a contender.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, robertson468 said:

Have a look at the 2017 mercedes A250.  Has all the bells and whilstles, but might be a tad expensive?

The only problem with that is that whilst most people know what an 'S' class is, or even a 'C' or 'E' class, you'll spend a goodly portion of the rest of your life explaining what an 'A' class is ?

• Haha 1

Anything fast from Europe is going to be really expensive to buy due to luxury import tax. Servicing/maintenance at official dealerships is also going to be expensive because spare parts will most likely have to be imported. If you can afford it go for it, if you can't go Honda or Isuzu.

Edited by pacovl46
typo

A 2nd hand E class is a good buy. A 2015 model is around 2-2.2 million.  I picked mine up last year for 2.4 million with 9,500 km on the clock.

The servicing is actually not that expensive, its cheaper than BMW. Most folks have the wrong impression that Mercedes service is expensive. The cars have less electronics and sensors than BMW so less problems too.

I just replace my disk brakes at the dealer, it cost around 3300 baht each (I think thats pretty close to honda/toyota prices) and there is a 10% discount on top of that too. I do own 2 other BMW, they do cost an arm and leg to fix especially when warranty runs out. BMW and Mercedes are assembled here, so most parts are available locally, it does not need to be imported like the above poster  said.

The resale value is decent.

If you want new, a honda accord is actually very well made. I drove my friends car, its as good as a bmw/mercedes. The doors actually feels heavy like a bmw/mercedes, and the drive is stable, and interior is good for the price. Heck it has more features than my E Class!

Edited by mike324
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, tomaway said:

2.4 MThb is exactly the price of the new Volco XC40 T5 Rdesign.

250 bhp and 0-100km/h in 6.4 sec, if the size fit your expectation that would be my choice! 

Volvos are an excellent choice this year, their new line up is very attractive. Not sure about the servicing though.  But space wise, I think a Mazda Cx5 is still bigger than a XC40.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, mike324 said:

Volvos are an excellent choice this year, their new line up is very attractive. Not sure about the servicing though.  But space wise, I think a Mazda Cx5 is still bigger than a XC40.

You’re right. I went to the launch of the XC40 and although a nice looking car, space inside is too small. A lot smaller than it might appear to be, which is a shame. Performance on paper looks good for the R Design. The XC60 is ideal, but way too expensive at 3.5mb.

15 minutes ago, puffy said:

Go to one2car.com, you will find Evoques starting from around 2 mil.

Yes been eyeing up lots, but some tell me it's not worth it due to unreliability and cost/delay in getting parts for  6 year old Evoques.  Probably rubbish value for money (5mb when new!) but beautiful cars.  Any personal experience with them?

5 hours ago, CarlBkk said:

It seems like you think SUV = big, but that's only on the outside, not the inside, i recommend you try to sit in some, especially on the back seat with the front seat being in a normal position

For example the Evoque which you mentioned in your first post is quite small inside, probably not much difference to a Honda City or similar.

3 hours ago, jackdd said:

It seems like you think SUV = big, but that's only on the outside, not the inside, i recommend you try to sit in some, especially on the back seat with the front seat being in a normal position

For example the Evoque which you mentioned in your first post is quite small inside, probably not much difference to a Honda City or similar.

I tried sitting behind the drivers seat in a cx3 in my driving position. Couldn't get my feet in the car. The cx5 doesn't seem much bigger. S civic hatchback turbo may be worth a look. The bike can fit in but not with 3 rear passengers. Quick enough. At least as quick as the cx5 . Actually it's a bit quicker.

Only have experience of Civic RS Turbo as a daily, and Focus RS Turbo as a test drive (still no Type R in Thailand it seems) - both a million miles ahead of the Fortuner that preceded that choice though.  Both are GTI(ish) but not enough to satisfy the teenager in us.  They're both safe and reliable.  For SUV, a friend bought a Mazda CHR which is more that direction.  I drove it and it was very nice, but can't tell you about performance since it wasn't my car and wasn't trying to be a Yahoo.

• Confused 1

If performance is important there is a solution which will boost the h/p and also reduce fuel consumption .

Performance engine chips are available in Thailand  ( Google search on car performance chips )

Numerous companies who will show the predicted new performance against the standard .

This will bring other vehicles into your consideration that previously would not meet your criteria .

I have used them a while back in the UK on a 1.9 VW Passat and a marked improvement , especially acceleration .

Your insurance company should  be advised . 

5 minutes ago, superal said:

If performance is important there is a solution which will boost the h/p and also reduce fuel consumption .

Boost the power AND also reduce fuel consumption? Wow, you should tell the car manufacturers about it, you could earn millions