Cobras In The Garden!

raro

Okidoki (and all the others of course!): Thanks for advise!

We went to the snake farm at Soi Muslim yesterday and talked to one of the experts.

The stick with the loop as some posters suggested seems to be the most efficient way to catch them. The guy also strongly advised using glasses, as there are lots of spitting specimen in Pattaya area. If they spit in your eye, rinse immediately with water and look for medical advise! Same for bites, apply a tourniquet and rush to a hospital. They recommended Bangkok-Pattaya, Memorial and Pattaya International.

Okidoki (and all the others of course!): Thanks for advise!

We went to the snake farm at Soi Muslim yesterday and talked to one of the experts.

The stick with the loop as some posters suggested seems to be the most efficient way to catch them. The guy also strongly advised using glasses, as there are lots of spitting specimen in Pattaya area. If they spit in your eye, rinse immediately with water and look for medical advise! Same for bites, apply a tourniquet and rush to a hospital. They recommended Bangkok-Pattaya, Memorial and Pattaya International.

If you get spit, do not touch your eyes. If any bloodvessels are broken, it is the same as full bite in the eye. Just clean it with running water for approx 30 minutes and go to the hospital.

If you are bitten. Do not run. Be calm, very calm and call an ambulance or have someone to drive you there. If your heart gets beating more then average, the poison will spread quicker.

The use of torniquet has been discussed alot among the doctors and toxilogists. It is correct it might slow down the poison from spreading in your body. But... Cobra venom for example also consist of tissue solving enzymes and proteins that "melts" the flesh. And it doesn´t have to be at the position where you were bitten. It might as well occur in at a totally other part of your body. Some doctors think that it will be the downside of using a torniquet, others that torniquets really doesn´t have any function. But they haven´t agree of the best solution yet.

To defend your home with a shotgun to kill a snake... It seems a bit overkill, so to speak. Will just ruin your home and probably hurt someone. Take it slow and just lift the snake outside. You do not need to afraid. ;-) I myself are more concerned about scolopenders that hide in my shoes and who really are vicious. But I do not try to shot them... Yet.

In my experience and I have been to alot of snakefarms, I have to tell that I still haven´t found anyone that really knows anything about snakes. Sometimes they do not even know the basics of the snakes and the snakes are actually in a very bad condition/health. They do know how to catch them and about what snake it is. But that´s it. Buy yourself an UK, US or German book and you will know far more then they do and probably ever will.

Good luck!

Edited by Okidoki

Some advice from an old Australian who grew up in the bush. Snakes eat vermin; rat's, mice, lizards, frogs and other small creatures. These creatures live in long grass, piles of rubbish or anything else that gives them the shelter to feed and breed.

Clean your yard up, keep the grass clipped short right up to your fence, get rid of any chickens; mice eat their left over food.

If they're coming from unoccupied land next door burn the long grass and any rubbish, the smoke won't make much difference this time of the year.

The snakes won't come into your garden unless there's something there they want, they're more afraid of you than you are of them.

This is good advice.

We also get the odd grass snake as well as cobras in our yard, but the sighting have diminished dramatically since we got a pest exterminator in to spray the house and garden for insects.

We were originally concerned with the number of wasps that were nesting under the eaves and in the drier parts of the garden, and the spray certainly got rid of them as well as knocked down the number of mosquitoes.

Bu the biggest plus for doing it was eliminating the food source for the frogs, mice, lizards etc... that in turn become a food source for snakes.

Start at the right end of the food chain... and keep your grass areas well cut and your garden beds tidy... and of course, keep your eyes open.

would you mind coming over to my place and give me demonstration? I invite you for cobra curry, if successful...

Fonud a source for Mungoose in the meantime.

You found a source for Mongoose, if you find a Sauce for Duck Larry dont tell Jet Grogon she wants to Cook me..

On the Joe Blake front I believe the Limes work..

Here's one for you duck - it gets rid of buckwheat too!!

Duck and Apple Filled Buckwheat Crepes With Chartreuse Creme Fraiche

servings

filled crepes click to change U.S./Metric measurement system or number of servings

time to make 1 day 1 hour prep

Change to: filled crepes US Metric

Creme fraiche

2/3 cup heavy whipping cream

1 tablespoon low-fat cultured buttermilk

Crepe batter

1 egg, room temp

1/2 teaspoon water

1 1/2 cups milk, room temp

3 tablespoons butter, melted

1/2 cup buckwheat flour

1/2 cup plain white flour

Duck and apple filling

3 duck breasts (1.5 pound total)

1/4 teaspoon salt

1 tablespoon water

1 teaspoon butter

1 teaspoon green chartreuse liqueur

1 granny smith apples

1 cup unsalted shelled pistachios

Not the one? See other Duck and Apple Filled Buckwheat Crepes With Chartreuse Creme Fra Recipes

* > 1 day Main Dish

* North American Main Dish

* Duck Breasts Main Dish

* Dinner Party Main Dish

1. Start creme fraiche and crepe batter day before serving. Both each just take a few minutes on day one.

2. Creme fraiche.

3. Mix cream and buttermilk into a glass bowl or a Pyrex cup. Let sit in a warm place at least 24 hours to culture into creme fraiche. Stir occasionally.

4. Day of serving:.

5. Stir in 1/2tsp Chartreuse with a fork or whisk.

6. Buckwheat crepes.

7. Blend egg and water in blender until mixture is fluffy.

8. While egg is being whipped in blender, melt butter in a small cup in microwave.

9. Add milk to eggs and briefly mix.

10. Mix buckwheat and regular flour in a bowl with a whisk. Add to blender and mix briefly.

11. Place in refrigerator overnight.

12. Day of serving: take out crepe batter several hours before mealtime and let come to room temperature. Blend mixture briefly before cooking.

13. Cook 6" crepes an hour before meal time. Store crepes on oven-proof pie plate or cookie sheet inside low temperature oven until assembly time.

14. Duck and apple filling.

15. Core apples and slice thinly. Let skins remain. Spread pieces in a pie plate and place in oven for warming one hour before serving (in the same oven keeping the crepes warm). This will heat apple slices but keep them crisp.

16. Shell pistachios. Chop. If using a grinder, do not allow to turn to butter.

17. Remove skins and slice duck breast meat thinly. Set aside in a bowl.

18. In a large skillet over a stovetop set to medium low, place Chartreuse, water, butter, and salt. A few minutes before assembly and serving, add duck and cook in this skillet, frequently turning duck with spatula. This will only take a couple of minutes. Watch carefully and turn duck several times. It is very easy to overcook the duck. Cook duck pieces until center is still red - not quite done - and remove from heat. Residual heat will finish the cooking process.

19. Assembly.

20. Place a cooked crepe onto a heated dinner plate. Then place duck, apples, 1 heaping tsp of creme fraiche, and 1 tsp of chopped pistachios. Roll filled crepe like a burrito.

21. Make 4 filled crepes per serving.

22. Add a teaspoon of creme fraiche on top of each filled crepe and sprinkle over all some of the reserved chopped pistachios.

23. Put in warming-oven while you assemble rest of crepes.

24. This recipe makes three filled crepes per person for four people.

This is a little off-topic, I grant you.

fire extinguisher? Snakes become lethargic when cold - granted not sure how long it will last since, pretty bloody hot in thailand. I think perhaps hiring a professional is best advice?

In Bangkok, there are no snake removal professionals. I have looked. Either the police or a private group will remove snakes if you see one and can point it out when they arrive. When they arrive (it takes about 10 minutes), if you no longer can see the snake, they will only look for it for a short period. If caught, they release the snake away from harm.

We live in Bangkok and do have different types of snakes in our yard, but we don't think they are cobras. One type is dark in color and big, but our neighbor's dogs killed one and it wasn't a cobra. So far, they flee us faster than we can run from them.

I know of no better way to get bitten by a snake than to try to catch it. DON'T!!!

Clean up the yard and burn stuff as one poster advised, the heat and smoke alone may drive them away plus removal of whatever it is that is attracting them. Once that is done, plant a lot of lemon grass. Citrus smells really do work.

Could also try one of those sonic machines, snakes don't have ears but they are very sensitive to vibration.

And be very careful walking around outside at night. Make as much noise as you can so they know you are coming.

Three days ago the maid was thunderstruck finding a cobra in the house. Security guard took care of it and killed the snake.

Yesterday, there was another cobra spotted in the garden. That's at least one too many, so we suspect them nesting there.

Any advice what to do?

We live in Pattaya, Maprachan area.

######, I live in the same area and I dread seeing a cobra cause I know our dogs (the female will definitely) try to kill it... And I know of too many owners of dogs here and Phuket who have had their dogs die because of them :o

Our female had a metre + long copperhead racer backed up against the back fence a couple of weeks back, which we managed to throw over the back fence with a rake. They can stand up like a cobra when threatened but are harmless. We also have a a spotted cat snake living in the back garden, but he's harmless and quick enough to get away from the dogs when they chase him, so he's ok to stay where ever it is he hides.

Personally my husband and I don't mind them, just as long as they keep their distance and don't do any harm to us or our pets. While it hasnt been a problem for us, our next door neighbor seems to have a big problem with snakes. The only difference between his house and ours is that our garden isn't overgrown or have a lot of hiding spots for them to nest (our dogs would've let us know if there were) so maybe you should do a thorough once over your garden and just keep regular look outs for signs of snakes.

I'll be interested to see how you go with this.

Di

• 2 years later...
Don't touch these things in any way, nearly everybody who gets bitten by snakes is handling them or provoking them.

Doyou wan't to sit in a Thai hospital while Nurse Noi tries to remember what the use by date on the antivenom is and whether it should have been kept in the fridge or not?

Any advice to trap them yourself is irresponsible, if you want them caught contact your local snake farm/circus.

:) Snakes! we were told years ago in the builders store,when i asked what the bagged yellow powder was, I had thought it looks like sulfer]

its for keeping the snakes away. it was sulfer

i have brought it and spread it. {but not every week,} but have had cobras in ,one guy said to me ,what do king cobras eat,? cobras he said !!!,one of my dogs was barking at a king, the other week I am sure it smiled at us snakes can climb any thing I had them drop over the wall at my feet

am going for sulfer am. this sulfer thing was on many threads years back its cheap and if it works i am happy, i think the Thais keep their houses clear, barren, so at least they can see them .

my garden is a jungle of colour and plants cant see very far :D ,random

7. If a snake can get away, it will. (There are some excemptions but that is for King Cobras who might defend their nests but I do not think most of will ever come in to that areas.

While I can't speak about snakes in Thailand with much expertise, I can say with experience that this is simply not true of snakes in general.

I used to do a lot a hiking in the States. More than once I have had copperheads (the American version) slowly move toward me...not aggressively...almost seemed like more out of curiosity. Other times I have walked right up to them in very close proximity on the trail...they knew I was there...and they made no effort to get away.

Same for rattlers. Twice I came across rattlers directly on the trail who were not aggressive, but also stood their ground. No effort whatsoever to get away.

In May I was in Arches National Park in Utah. Not sure what kind of snake it was, but there was a small group of people watching a snake very close up...not aggressive...no effort to protect itself or get away.

And, here in Thailand at some off-the-beaten temple in Thonburi a viper (according to the monks) was slowly inching its way down a tree trunk right toward my arm.

Do snakes ever try to get away? Of course. More often than not. But they also often do not try to escape from people.

Yeah a Thai will tell you "black tongue, snake bite not die!" when you see a dog with a black tongue

The family says that Thai dogs with black tongues are natural snake hunters. We have one and she’s great. We get those small cobras in the yard about every month or so, and she has never had a problem disposing of them. It might just be a coincidence, but that’s what they say.

Wouldn't matter since Austin Stevens gets nailed by Cobra in "Seven Deadly Strikes" anyway.

Also, the snake can probably bite you thru any bag that isn't snake proof. The only chance you have is

when the snake is a rear fanged snake.

:):D I am just going to pee my pants. This is so... OK. Sorry, seen it too many times. Get a wide PVC pipe about 4ft in length. Get a strong thin nylon rope, about 10 ft. Thread the rope through the pipe. Then tie a loop on the rope at the far end of the pipe. When a cobra appears, lasso it around its neck and pull the rope up into the pipe. Once the snake is in stranglehold, put it in an old rice bag, release the rope tie, and give the package to a snake farm to release far away from the madding human crowds.

Don't do this..!!

f***ing around with a cobra aint that advisable.. unless of course your surname is Irwin, Leonard & that other south african guy who's name evades me at present...

(oops! strike Irwin from that roll call)

Why not by a flute, borrow a book from the library on the subject of 'Fakirs', train 'em up and then go into business as a tourist side-show..!!!

My girlfriend lives at onnut and has had a python in her house and my last trip a crcodille walked by her shophouse. She called the police and they sent out a team to pick it up . The police also picked up the python.

We had beautiful monocle spitting cobra in the garden just the other day. We used the swimming pool leaf bag net to catch him in with the long pole and another flat leaf pool net to cover the bag net so he could not get out, I was then able to carry him outside and let him go.

Two days later he was back, same thing catch and put outside, this happened three times on the last time Mr Snakey just turned right around and headed back to our gate. Seems they are territorial so we had no choice and after discussion my wife stopped a guy passing by on a motorbike and asked him to take care of it which very regretfully he did. :)

Yes I heard that citrus fruits keeps the snakes away. Also keep your grass cut very low and remove anything where they can hide such as paving blocks piled up. Fill in holes in the ground with loose gravel and hammer it down so it becomes hard. Keep your pets indoors and if either you or a member of your family or a pet gets bitten kill the snake and take it with you to the hospital or the Vets in order that the correct anti-venom can be injected into the bitten target. My friend who is a snake handler warned me to steer clear from these things, he did however say that they can't see as well in the day time as in the night time. He went on to say whever you do if you accidentally come across one of these things in your garden stand perfectly still, if it feels threatened then it will strike at you. Obtain the telephone number of the nearest Cobra handler and keep it on hand, should one get in your house, telephone him, and he will come out straight away and remove then dam_n thing.

I've never seen a snake in Khon Kaen but we stay pretty close to the city.

What snakes have you seen in Khon Kaen?

Yes I heard that citrus fruits keeps the snakes away. Also keep your grass cut very low and remove anything where they can hide such as paving blocks piled up. Fill in holes in the ground with loose gravel and hammer it down so it becomes hard. Keep your pets indoors and if either you or a member of your family or a pet gets bitten kill the snake and take it with you to the hospital or the Vets in order that the correct anti-venom can be injected into the bitten target. My friend who is a snake handler warned me to steer clear from these things, he did however say that they can't see as well in the day time as in the night time. He went on to say whever you do if you accidentally come across one of these things in your garden stand perfectly still, if it feels threatened then it will strike at you. Obtain the telephone number of the nearest Cobra handler and keep it on hand, should one get in your house, telephone him, and he will come out straight away and remove then dam_n thing.

• 1 month later...
I've never seen a snake in Khon Kaen but we stay pretty close to the city.

What snakes have you seen in Khon Kaen?

We have lived in Khon Kaen for about three years. Unbelievably, we saw a python of about 1,5m crossing at the big intersection where they had started digging for the new Central mall. It was using the pedestrian crossing. We were on the motorbike and I was curious to see what would happen when the light turned green. Amazingly, all drivers waited untill the snake disappeared in the bushes. My wife told me it brings very bad luck if you kill one of those.

My girlfriend lives at onnut and has had a python in her house and my last trip a crcodille walked by her shophouse. She called the police and they sent out a team to pick it up . The police also picked up the python.

That 'crocodile' would be a monitor lizard. No wild crocs in Bangkok unless escaped from the farm. We also have a python that lives close by our place in On Nut, has been known to eat the odd poodle here and there down the soi. Keep any pets locked inside the house at night.

Some advice from an old Australian who grew up in the bush. Snakes eat vermin; rat's, mice, lizards, frogs and other small creatures. These creatures live in long grass, piles of rubbish or anything else that gives them the shelter to feed and breed.

Clean your yard up, keep the grass clipped short right up to your fence, get rid of any chickens; mice eat their left over food.

If they're coming from unoccupied land next door burn the long grass and any rubbish, the smoke won't make much difference this time of the year.

The snakes won't come into your garden unless there's something there they want, they're more afraid of you than you are of them.

Sond advice - this IS thailand and Cobras are a native species - they are attracted to human habitat by FOOD.

another side of the coin - if you kill al the snakes, be prepared to be over-run by vermin!