New medical form

Stuart F

Maybe I misunderstood the OP.. , but the way he wrote it triggers some important info. There IS a new medical form. make sure you get the right one.. The new was in effect 1. march this year (2018). Its more of a self declearance and the doctor just testify with a stamp to it. You fill it out yourself at the clinic. It cost everything from 50-200 baht.

• Like 1

Post 5 by KhunNENQ:

It's indeed a form developed by the "Thai Medical Council" (TMC) and is from August 2008(!).

I used a quick Google translate of the TMC site and it really sounds that the added part is just a "self certification". The rest is the usual "five diseases".

A link to a PDF version from TMC:

http://tmc.or.th/file_download/doctor161209.pdf

Of course in Thai and B/W only.

DLT site links to this TMC site. 

Edited March 8 by KhunBENQ

https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/1028279-new-medical-certificate-for-thai-drivers-license/t 5

I went and got my new license yesterday, changing from the 2 year to the 5 year, same as O.P. is doing. For the medical form I went to a local clinic, the Doctor did not speak much English, first she asked for my passport then she weighed me, asked my height, took my blood pressure, she then filled in the form asked for 200 baht and sent me own my way with the filled in and signed form.

That was on Friday evening, yesterday (Monday) I went to the driving license place with the Thai lady who, I had hired to help me.

First thing I had to do was an eye test, but it was only a colour check, there is a poster on the wall covered in different coloured dots of various sizes. The guy points at a mixture of the dots, one by one and you have to tell him the colour, this was done in English.

Next you have to do the distance judging test which is quite simple, about 15 foot in front of you there are 2 sticks in a box which stand vertical, a white one and one that is half painted red, they give you a control that moves the sticks backwards and forwards and you just have to stop them when they are next to each other, once you have done that (and passed), that's it.

Now you just have to wait to be called forward, they take your photo, another wait of about 20  minutes and again they call you forward and give you your new license.

As I mentioned I used a Thai lady who does this as a job to help people get their licences, I had given her my passport and a utility bill on the previous Thursday and she had gone and done whatever was necessary, when we arrived at the test centre on Monday she took me straight through to the front of the queue. The cost for the license was 550 baht, the cost for the ladies help was 500 baht, I was at the Doctors for no more than 10 minutes and at the test centre for 1 and a half hours.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, MrBanks said:

I went and got my new license yesterday, changing from the 2 year to the 5 year, same as O.P. is doing. For the medical form I went to a local clinic, the Doctor did not speak much English, first she asked for my passport then she weighed me, asked my height, took my blood pressure, she then filled in the form asked for 200 baht and sent me own my way with the filled in and signed form.

That was on Friday evening, yesterday (Monday) I went to the driving license place with the Thai lady who, I had hired to help me.

First thing I had to do was an eye test, but it was only a colour check, there is a poster on the wall covered in different coloured dots of various sizes. The guy points at a mixture of the dots, one by one and you have to tell him the colour, this was done in English.

Next you have to do the distance judging test which is quite simple, about 15 foot in front of you there are 2 sticks in a box which stand vertical, a white one and one that is half painted red, they give you a control that moves the sticks backwards and forwards and you just have to stop them when they are next to each other, once you have done that (and passed), that's it.

Now you just have to wait to be called forward, they take your photo, another wait of about 20  minutes and again they call you forward and give you your new license.

As I mentioned I used a Thai lady who does this as a job to help people get their licences, I had given her my passport and a utility bill on the previous Thursday and she had gone and done whatever was necessary, when we arrived at the test centre on Monday she took me straight through to the front of the queue. The cost for the license was 550 baht, the cost for the ladies help was 500 baht, I was at the Doctors for no more than 10 minutes and at the test centre for 1 and a half hours.

You didn't have to watch a training video on safe driving?

19 hours ago, Ejjeje said:

In any clinic.. cost 50 thb

Is nothing special he just take bloodpresure, ask if you are sicl and done..

(I did my dl 5 months ago)

It is not “only blodd pressure” you have also to be able to read figures, those are written amongs multicolors spots. I did it exactly a week ago for my motorbike DL :smile:

I did it last week in Samui, Inter-Hospital, they asked me what for? A driving licence! OK, then you have to make an eye exam to know if you see the colours properly.

Then I saw a doctor the same charming old man I saw two months ago for my yearly extension, we chat for 15/20 minutes about everything but my health, and that's it.  

color-blind-tests.jpg

1 hour ago, Tchooptip said:

It is not “only blodd pressure” you have also to be able to read figures, those are written amongs multicolors spots. I did it exactly a week ago for my motorbike DL :smile:

It must be different in different offices then because I was just asked to say the colour of the dot, there was no numbers in there.

My wife just renewed our 5 year licences, car and motorbike last month in Khon Kaen. We didn’t require a medical certificate. First we had to do a colour blindness check as part of the skills test then went through the other tests with the group. Last was the video in Thai. Back downstairs, photo and licence, very easy. 

1 hour ago, Tchooptip said:

I did it last week in Samui, Inter-Hospital, they asked me what for? A driving licence! OK, then you have to make an eye exam to know if you see the colours properly.

Then I saw a doctor the same charming old man I saw two months ago for my yearly extension, we chat for 15/20 minutes about everything but my health, and that's it.  

color-blind-tests.jpg

What are the bottom three?

5 hours ago, Srikcir said:

What are the bottom three?

Good question. Let's say the left one could - with lots of imagination - be 82 ... written whilst totally legless.

The other 2 - no clue. All I can tell it gives me cross-eyes staring at them for too long ...

My personal favorite is 42 of course.

• Like 1

I don't know how to start a topic so feel free to put this elsewhere, "is there an age limit to holding or renewing a Thai driving licence?" 

I live in the Philippines and no licence after 80 but being ASEAN, a Thai license is valid. 

Thanks.