Need advice

I am a 60 year old American living in Korat on tourist exempt air entries (4 this year).  I want to do get a proper visa and marry a lovely Thai lady.

I was given advice today to get a retirement visa first, then during the year extension apply for a marriage visa in Korat.  I would prefer to get a marriage visa first but am unsure of the steps required to do this.

Do I need to marry first?  What visa should I have as I am getting married?  Should I just get the retirement visa and convert over the first year as suggested?  I just deposited the 800,000 Baht in the Thai bank yesterday and my visit exempt entry lasts until Oct. 14, then I can get one 30 day extension.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.  I know this is a pretty simple for you guys but the more I read this forum the more confused I get.  

Dont make it difficult. Go up to Nong Khai buy yourself a Non Immigrant "O" VISA there single entry (90 days validity) then during the last 30 days of that VISA apply for an extension of stay based on retirement at your immigration in Khorat..  easy pesy...

glegolo

4 minutes ago, glegolo said:

Dont make it difficult. Go up to Nong Khai buy yourself a Non Immigrant "O" VISA there single entry (90 days validity) then during the last 30 days of that VISA apply for an extension of stay based on retirement at your immigration in Khorat..  easy pesy...

Where do they sell visas at in Nong Khai?

I assume mean going to the embassy in Vientiane and apply for a non-o visa for being over 50. He would need a police clearance and medical certificate along with proof of 800k baht in the bank to do it.

2 minutes ago, Rally123 said:

I believe you have to be married for at least one year prior to requesting a 'Marriage Extension'.

No you do not. An extension based upon marriage could be applied for the day after registering a marriage.

1 hour ago, koratkarlos said:

Do I need to marry first?  What visa should I have as I am getting married?  Should I just get the retirement visa and convert over the first year as suggested?  I just deposited the 800,000 Baht in the Thai bank yesterday and my visit exempt entry lasts until Oct. 14, then I can get one 30 day extension.

You do not need any visa to get married. You could get married now while on a visa exempt entry.
After getting married you could apply for non-o visa at a nearby embassy or consulate. From Korat you could get one in Vientiane or Savannakhet Laos.

Then you could apply for a one year extension of stay based upon marriage. You would only need 400k baht in the bank for 2 months to apply for it.

You could also apply for a 90 day non immigrant visa (category O) based upon qualifying for an extension of stay based retirement at immigration in Korat. I assume you transferred the 800k baht into the country.

Then apply for a one year extension of stay based upon retirement during the last 30 days of the 90 day entry. The 800k baht would have to be in the bank for 60 days on the date your apply.

20 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Where do they sell visas at in Nong Khai?

I assume mean going to the embassy in Vientiane and apply for a non-o visa for being over 50. He would need a police clearance and medical certificate along with proof of 800k baht in the bank to do it.

Thanks for pointing that out, of course Laos-side. stupid mistake by me...

glegolo

I think that it depends on who gave the advice, if it was an Immigration Officer from Korat then take it.

By far the most simple procedure is to obtain a three month stay using a Non Immigrant Visa as a retiree, extended for a year using 800,000Bt as proof of financial viability. I imagine that being newly married or intending to get married as grounds for obtaining a Non Immigrant visa and the initial extension would prove to be more than a formality.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

An extension based upon marriage could be applied for the day after registering a marriage.

Has that always been the case? I married in March 2006. I went for a 'Marriage Extension' at Kap Choeng in the November. I was refused having been told I had to have been legally married for minimum 12 months.

8 minutes ago, Rally123 said:

Has that always been the case? I married in March 2006. I went for a 'Marriage Extension' at Kap Choeng in the November. I was refused having been told I had to have been legally married for minimum 12 months.

As far as I know it has always been that way. I think the immigration office gave you false info.

any reason for changing the reason for visa/extension?  other than 400k in the bank rather than 800k?  seems a lot less paperwork and headache to get and stay on a retirement extension, married or not.  don't believe married applicants are required to get a marriage visa/extension.

you already have a bank account with 800k transferred in from outside the country.  no need to leave, no need for health or police reports.  just apply at immigration for an o-visa and then extension for retirement.

Edited by ChouDoufu