travel insurance for thai wife

pakunu

Not sure what travel/health insurance provider you'll end up buying from.  But I always buy insurance for my wife, when she travels to Canada.  I make sure the insurance company is well known and reputable in Canada (eg: Blue Cross).  That way if she needs it, it's based there, and there is no grief.

Edited by CanuckThai

First point:

- Are you looking for pure travel insurance: compensation for loss of luggage, delays or cancellations, etc? 

- Or are you looking for health insurance associated with your travel and in whatever destinations? Hospital / ICU stay fees, doctors fees, treatment  in haspitals, fees for MRI, operations etc., and medications...?

- Or are you looking for both?

Sounds like silly questions but many folks don't think about it take a policy which is in fact not what they really need. 

We use World Nomads. Easy to get it online, with very responsive support for clearing registration issues and details. On the face of it, it covers our travel needs - but luckily never had to put it to the test much. Some credit card companies afford free short-term travel insurance (varies for issuing company and level of membership), but advisable to pay attention as to details (even more than usual).

9 hours ago, Morch said:

We use World Nomads. Easy to get it online, with very responsive support for clearing registration issues and details. On the face of it, it covers our travel needs - but luckily never had to put it to the test much. Some credit card companies afford free short-term travel insurance (varies for issuing company and level of membership), but advisable to pay attention as to details (even more than usual).

I was also going to use them this year for our 3 month Thailand visit

But at final signing you had to check that you accept this is secondary insurance only.

So I called & said I realize this but also realize my US insurance does not pay outside of the US at all.

The clerk who said she was a senior clerk who approves/disapproves payment etc said it does not matter you would still need at the moment of usage

a letter from your insurance stating that to them before they allow any use. Even a catastrophic emergency usage at a Thai hospital.

Which being in good health is the only reason I buy it.

I asked...what if I'm unconscious & have your insurance card will you not approve treatment? She said no not without primary first

stating again they will not cover

So now I am looking again & IMG Patriot Travel Medical Insurance  claims they act as primary with no such nonsense so will probably use them

Hi again

First thanks for the answers I will follow up on them ie the ones I haven't tried before. Have done BUPA and looked at Patriot but wanted some new options. Sorry I didn't mention as the poster above said it is only for health cover while in NZ

Again thanks for the positive replies

10 hours ago, meechai said:

I was also going to use them this year for our 3 month Thailand visit

But at final signing you had to check that you accept this is secondary insurance only.

So I called & said I realize this but also realize my US insurance does not pay outside of the US at all.

The clerk who said she was a senior clerk who approves/disapproves payment etc said it does not matter you would still need at the moment of usage

a letter from your insurance stating that to them before they allow any use. Even a catastrophic emergency usage at a Thai hospital.

Which being in good health is the only reason I buy it.

I asked...what if I'm unconscious & have your insurance card will you not approve treatment? She said no not without primary first

stating again they will not cover

So now I am looking again & IMG Patriot Travel Medical Insurance  claims they act as primary with no such nonsense so will probably use them

I don't recall anything of the sort coming up on those time we used their services. Not saying I couldn't have overlooked anything, just have no recollection of this being an issue. Could this have anything to do with destination or the country where the insurance was contacted? In our case, it was from Thailand, and heading to destinations in Europe, ME, SE Asia and India. Another possibility is that the length of the insurance period asked for plays a part. Most of our trips where 2-4 weeks long, perhaps different rules apply for longer term options.

• Like 1

On 9/26/2018 at 2:26 AM, Morch said:

I don't recall anything of the sort coming up on those time we used their services. Not saying I couldn't have overlooked anything, just have no recollection of this being an issue. Could this have anything to do with destination or the country where the insurance was contacted? In our case, it was from Thailand, and heading to destinations in Europe, ME, SE Asia and India. Another possibility is that the length of the insurance period asked for plays a part. Most of our trips where 2-4 weeks long, perhaps different rules apply for longer term options.

You could be right that it is country specific.

When we lived in Thailand we never bought travel insurance as we had US insurance

But now we are living in the US & visit Thailand for 3 months a year so maybe also a travel duration specific rule.

But the clerk who claimed she was a senior claims clerk said this is how it always works for all travel insurance.

Then again when I contacted IMG Patriot they said no problem for them to act as primary up to policy limits.

Anyway as always not clear with insurance but best to try & be as clear as possible before needing it :)

Here is a screen shot of terms for Nomad when purchasing from US

nomad conditions.jpg

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/26/2018 at 9:30 AM, pakunu said:

Hi again

First thanks for the answers I will follow up on them ie the ones I haven't tried before. Have done BUPA and looked at Patriot but wanted some new options. Sorry I didn't mention as the poster above said it is only for health cover while in NZ

Again thanks for the positive replies

Maybe a bit late but have just been to do insurance for a trip later this month and see that AXA(Thailand) have now introduced annual policies, details on the website.