Thaksin-Prawit showdown just a taste of things to come

webfact

1 hour ago, Ossy said:

Disturbing and worrying, maybe, but if it boils down to a battle of wits, there's a clear winner.

prawit crop.jpg

I would prefer its mutual annihilation that they both take each-other out at the same time. What a happy time it would be for Thailand.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Eric Loh said:

Every time they wake up only to be put back to slumber by the military. Poor education, ensure subservient culture, unequal development and when any sign of the people “waking”, stage a coup to maintain status quo and dominance. Works for the military and the elites since 1932. 

Not much the population could do during the collaborationist period of WW2.

And then came the long golden age when a respected voice prevailed.

But what now for ************************************************

************************************************?

Edited by Enoon
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, Kiwiken said:

Food for thought. Lets hope the Thai people wake up

On the vague assumptions that they've been/or presently of a comatose state?

I don't think so.

Much more aware and connected than most give credit for.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, webfact said:

ignore the public interest

Exploited is a better word.   As corrupt as the Shinawatras were, they did far more for the average Thai.

19 hours ago, webfact said:

It’s well-documented that Thaksin’s telecom empire took off largely thanks to his connections with the military when he was an ambitious businessman seeking to launch satellites.

Many businesses have been propelled by military contracts especially industries like aviation, fire arms, vehicles, so saying the military helped him is not that dramatic, given satellites have strategic importance.  Elon Musk gets a lot of government help.

Edited by yellowboat
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

15 hours ago, robblok said:

They wont wake up as the alternative is just not good enough. If the PTP is in power the same corruption the same incompetence will rule. Would you rise up just to replace one failing government with an other ?. I would only rise up if there was a good alternative with clear benefits over the other side. 

If they kicked the junta out there might be a bit more freedom of speech but other then that not much changes. The leaders will be as corrupt and incompetent because of the system described in this OP. That is not enough to risk life and limp.. especially if your leaders feel and betray you at the first sign of trouble to save their own skin.

Maybe just maybe future forward will bring change though it will be real hard to really change this system as its so ingrained. But the old parties and junta.. they won't bring change just other people stealing money nothing more nothing less. Maybe the populace is smarter then we give them credit for.

Besides people should study Maslov, freedom of expression and stuff like that is at the very top of the pyramid.. but in this country lower parts of the pyramid are not yet fulfilled so its not a priority.

I of course think that a democratic government is better then a junta.. but not by much in this country. Because its not a full functioning democracy as long as the system as described here exists. 

They won't wake up. Stand outside a Thai school (any) for a couple of hours, watch Thai TV or listen to Thai radio for a couple of hours. Or try telling a Thai that Thailand is not the center of the universe.

You cannot change anything that has been brainwashed.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, robblok said:

They wont wake up as the alternative is just not good enough. If the PTP is in power the same corruption the same incompetence will rule. Would you rise up just to replace one failing government with an other ?. I would only rise up if there was a good alternative with clear benefits over the other side. 

If they kicked the junta out there might be a bit more freedom of speech but other then that not much changes. The leaders will be as corrupt and incompetent because of the system described in this OP. That is not enough to risk life and limp.. especially if your leaders feel and betray you at the first sign of trouble to save their own skin.

Maybe just maybe future forward will bring change though it will be real hard to really change this system as its so ingrained. But the old parties and junta.. they won't bring change just other people stealing money nothing more nothing less. Maybe the populace is smarter then we give them credit for.

Besides people should study Maslov, freedom of expression and stuff like that is at the very top of the pyramid.. but in this country lower parts of the pyramid are not yet fulfilled so its not a priority.

I of course think that a democratic government is better then a junta.. but not by much in this country. Because its not a full functioning democracy as long as the system as described here exists. 

When the army preformed there coup aganist Thaksin I called my girl friend to check on her. I asked her what do you think will it get better, She says nothing change for me have to work every day to feed my babies. Guess what nothing changed for her.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, moe666 said:

When the army preformed there coup aganist Thaksin I called my girl friend to check on her. I asked her what do you think will it get better, She says nothing change for me have to work every day to feed my babies. Guess what nothing changed for her.

What did she expect to happen? She thought the junta would give her a bunch of money every day so she could stay home and be mum?

• Sad 1

8 hours ago, zzaa09 said:

On the vague assumptions that they've been/or presently of a comatose state?

I don't think so.

Much more aware and connected than most give credit for.

You have to be joking, Z . . . at least out here in the sticks. If you're more city-aware, then I can understand your comment but, out here, they simply couldn't give a monkey's.

• Like 1

On 9/26/2018 at 5:33 AM, Samui Bodoh said:

Excellent editorial.

However, the two sides are not the same.

One was/is the Democratic choice of the Thai people, and one was foisted on them by use of force.

One was able to be removed at the ballot box, and one re-wrote the constitution to benefit itself.

One played by the rules, and one just cheated in the worst way imaginable.

I tend to agree with pretty much all the bad things people think and believe about Thaksin, but the Thai people had the means to fire him. The Thai people have not had the means to fire Prayut.

The two sides are not the same.

Not even close...

Not sure who you think played by the rules. Thaksin owned parties never did, which led to their downfall time and time again. 

I don't really know if the Thai people could have ever voted him out. I suspect he'd have been one of those "leaders' that simply refused to accept any ballot result he didn't like and hang on to power how ever he could. Don't forget he resigned as care taker PM, was duly replaced, and then seized the position back when he changed his mind. Not really interested in democracy other than using it as a veneer.

With the Junta, there's no option. Like it or lump it anyway, they'll stay for as long as they please.

The editorial is indeed excellent and sums up the whole sordid mess nicely.

Edited by Baerboxer
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Thian said:

What did she expect to happen? She thought the junta would give her a bunch of money every day so she could stay home and be mum?

I think a little deeper thinker would have possibly have come to the conclusion that the OPs girl friend was being somewhat philosophical and suggesting that as she is only a normal Thai person then irrespective who is running the government, taking office illegally or whatever, then as an ordinary person it will have no effect on her life.

The fact being that Thai governments change purely so as to give turns at the pig trough between one family of Elites to another.

1 hour ago, Esso49 said:

I think a little deeper thinker would have possibly have come to the conclusion that the OPs girl friend was being somewhat philosophical and suggesting that as she is only a normal Thai person then irrespective who is running the government, taking office illegally or whatever, then as an ordinary person it will have no effect on her life.

The fact being that Thai governments change purely so as to give turns at the pig trough between one family of Elites to another.

Well my wife works in BKK and also for her not much changed since the junta except the following:

-the protestors and roadblocks were all gone, we got militairy tents along the roads. So she could drive to work safe and without roadblocks.

-the shootings/bombings/fires had stopped in the area she had to travel daily.

-the police stopped demanding teamoney along the roads.

So for safety things had improved....Now if she and her collegues couldn't go to work anymore it sure would be felt in the whole country because you couldn't even have posted on this forum if they can't work. Maybe it's good if that happens for a week or so, everything outside BKK disconnected from internet and cellphones...that would change the attitudes me thinks..