PP has no pages left 8 days left before overstay clock begins

Hello anyone who would be kind enough to advise.......

Will CW immigration stamp a “punched “ passport....? I know I can’t travel with it.....

October 5 my 30 day runs out.  I got a new job and they want to give me a 30 day extension (which I told exists even though I thought I could only get 7.....)

There is enough room for the extension stamp but will they do it on a punched passport?

can I get the passport renewal process started and get my extension at the same time?  Or should I wait get the extension first then apply for pp renewal?

There’s one space left to get the extension but not enough for all the non b shenanigans of going to Laos exitting Thailand then entering Laos then vice versa as well as the non b stamp.

6 hours ago, mangyH2obuffalo said:

October 5 my 30 day runs out.  I got a new job and they want to give me a 30 day extension (which I told exists even though I thought I could only get 7.....)

If you have a visa-exempt 30-day entry from a qualifying country, you can apply for a 30-day extension of it.  This can usually be done up to a week before the current stay expires - so, I would apply for it tomorrow.  Immigration add the extension-time to your existing permitted-stay, so you will have 36 days or so to get your new passport.  Then, you can make the run to Laos, etc.

The only downside - you would be working illegally if you start before you get that Non-B and work-permit sorted.  I would not mention anything about a job when applying for the 30-day "Tourist" extension, regardless of your intended start-date.

15 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Are you sure your passport will punched when you apply for a new one? I know the US embassy has started doing it now.

Best do get the extension first. I am certain immigration will not do the extension in a canceled passport.

Just had a passport renewal and the US consulate in CM took my old passport when I applied for a new one. When I got it back 2 weeks later it was punched. 

Can you get an extension using a passport that has less than 6 months left before expiring? 

can I get the passport renewal process started and get my extension at the same time?  Or should I wait get the extension first then apply for pp renewal?

Get the extension first, then apply for a new passport or have pages added. That is if they will give you an extension with less than 6 months left before the passport expires. 

Not sure where you are from, but it takes 2 weeks at the US consulate to renew a passport without paying for it to be expedited. And they take your old passport when you apply for a new one. 

21 minutes ago, NaamGin said:

Just had a passport renewal and the US consulate in CM took my old passport when I applied for a new one. When I got it back 2 weeks later it was punched. 

Can you get an extension using a passport that has less than 6 months left before expiring? 

When I applied for my new US passport, they took a photocopy of the old passport. When they emailed me to come in to collect the new passport at the embassy in Bangkok I handed over the old passport. Only then was it cancelled and both old and new passports returned to me along with the letter for Thai immigrations.  

If you wanted the new passport mailed to you, you had to surrender the old one when you applied and both were returned via Thai P.O.

When I was at the embassy two weeks ago they said something about a newly available way to do it all. I didn't really pay attention since I'm years away from needing to get another passport.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Suradit69 said:

When I was at the embassy two weeks ago they said something about a newly available way to do it all. I didn't really pay attention since I'm years away from needing to get another passport.

Since July 1st in Bangkok when applying for a new passport in person they cancel your old one and give you a letter stating the reason it was canceled. Then when your new passport arrives they mail it to you.

See: https://th.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/passports/adult-passport-renew/

In Chiang Mai it is still the way it was before.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NaamGin said:

Yes you can apply for an extension with less than 6 months of stay. The passport only has to valid for the length of the extension being applied for or they will only issue the extension to the date the passport is valid to.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, edwardflory said:

MOST countries that I know of, allow you to apply for a new PP 6 weeks to 6 months of expire date OR only 1 or 2 blank pages left.

Actually most countries will accept a application for a new passport and issue a new one if you want to pay for it. They don't care how long you have remaining on your current passport or the reason you want a new one when you apply for it.

Many countries recommend applying for a new passport when you only have 9 months remaining on your current one.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Actually most countries will accept a application for a new passport and issue a new one if you want to pay for it. They don't care how long you have remaining on your current passport or the reason you want a new one when you apply for it.

Many countries recommend applying for a new passport when you only have 9 months remaining on your current one.

Yes, the last time I got a new US passport it was more than 8 months before the old one expired and I had unused pages in it. I was near to applying for an annual extension of stay and wanted to ensure the new extension would be for a full year. The embassy didn't have a problem with that.

Edited by Suradit69

If it is an UK passport -NO PROBLEM . I have just renewed a British passport this week - Collected Wednesday 26th September. As long as you elect to collect the new passport personally , they give you back the old passport -UNCANCELLED , for ID purposes . You must take the old passport back to VFS when collecting the new passport . You hand in the old passport before they hand-over the new passport . They then cut off the corners on the old passport and hand it back together with a letter to immigration asking them to transfer your extension to the new passport . So , get your application in immediately AND elect to go to collect the new one personally .  I was amazed at how short a time it took to get the new passport ONE WEEK  from applying .good luck .

• Like 1

4 hours ago, NaamGin said:

But i geuss you went back two weeks later to pick up your new passport thats why they punched your old . Its not quit normal for them to punch your old if new is not done yet otherwise you would have no valid document for as long as you get your new and thats not normal .

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Nanaplaza666 said:

But i geuss you went back two weeks later to pick up your new passport thats why they punched your old . Its not quit normal for them to punch your old if new is not done yet otherwise you would have no valid document for as long as you get your new and thats not normal .

They took my old passport when I submitted the forms at the consulate when applying for the new passport, which I thought was odd for the same reasons you stated. I was without a passport for two weeks. When I received an email notification telling me my new passport was ready to pickup, I made an appointment, went to the consulate and picked up both the old, punched passport and my new passport. Good thing I didn't have any travel plans during that time or have a run in with the BiB. 

I also got one of those credit card sized passports at the same time. I now carry that with me when I go out, avoiding having to carry the original or copies of my passport. Has worked a charm, so far. 

1 hour ago, Iem said:

If it is an UK passport -NO PROBLEM . I have just renewed a British passport this week - Collected Wednesday 26th September. As long as you elect to collect the new passport personally , they give you back the old passport -UNCANCELLED , for ID purposes . You must take the old passport back to VFS when collecting the new passport . You hand in the old passport before they hand-over the new passport . They then cut off the corners on the old passport and hand it back together with a letter to immigration asking them to transfer your extension to the new passport . So , get your application in immediately AND elect to go to collect the new one personally .  I was amazed at how short a time it took to get the new passport ONE WEEK  from applying .good luck .

Where did you apply for your passport? I am running out of pages and will need a new one soon. I have extension of stay for retirement purposes on a non o visa.

59 minutes ago, mlkik said:

Where did you apply for your passport? I am running out of pages and will need a new one soon. I have extension of stay for retirement purposes on a non o visa.

Trendy towers in BKK for British passport - VFS, if you dont want to go to Bangkok for the process there are agents, certainly in Pattaya will do all the running around for you think all in around THB 5k for a standard pp...

4 hours ago, edwardflory said:

Why is it that people wait till the last minute to take care of a renewal or getting a new PP because no blank pages of a PP?
MOST countries that I know of, allow you to apply for a new PP 6 weeks to 6 months of expire date OR only 1 or 2 blank pages left.

For those that do not know, there is a gadget called a mobile telephone that you can use to call your embassy to get help with potential problems IN ADVANCE of THE PROBLEM.

PP renew or needing new passport: 6 weeks to 6 months depending on country.

90 Day report: 5 days in advance of date.

Renew of "extension of stay" based on marriage """ visa """, """ retirement """ visa""" - I use the word """ visa""" because I have been told by several IO's that my """ visa""" - actually a extension of stay based on XXXXX - expires in 2 months": 45 days in advance ( you loose NO days )

Take the responsibility of protecting YOU, I would hate to get "caught" in ANY COUNTRY without proper identity or invalid documents. The operative word is - JAIL

There's always one.

3 hours ago, Suradit69 said:

Yes, the last time I got a new US passport it was more than 8 months before the old one expired and I had unused pages in it. I was near to applying for an annual extension of stay and wanted to ensure the new extension would be for a full year. The embassy didn't have a problem with that.

Were the unused 8 months of the old passport added to the standard 10-year lifetime of the new one?

Thanks all......I still have one year and ten months before expiration and I had extra pages put in 5 years ago (a practice they have stopped doing  now according to website) you could only get extra pages put in once.   

Got the 30 day extension today and will Renew passport next week.  I will have to get a document from the embassy stating that the extension is in my old passport and show the old passport.......I got the information that it would be punched from the embassy website and since July 2018 all passport renewal are to be received by mail......no more picking it up at the embassy.  They have an onsite post office where you must provide an address and it will be mailed to you.  The whole process takes about 2 weeks.......

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, OJAS said:

Were the unused 8 months of the old passport added to the standard 10-year lifetime of the new one?

No. The new passport expires exactly 10 years from when it was issued.

Edited by Suradit69
  • Thanks 1

On 9/27/2018 at 9:02 AM, ubonjoe said:

Are you sure your passport will punched when you apply for a new one? I know the US embassy has started doing it now.

Best do get the extension first. I am certain immigration will not do the extension in a canceled passport.

I have seven US passports with holes punched in them, everytime they punched them when I got the new one, not before as long as the passport is still valid, they can cancel the pspt on the last page (which is supposed to be reserved for other things besides visa stamps..............you can have multiple passports that are still valid. 

Edited by TunnelRat69

From a legal point of view, a passport is invalidated when the issuing country flags it as invalid in its database. Punching holes in it, stamping "ANNULLED" or " ANNULLÉ" across the page with the expiration date, etc is an optional additional feature to indicate visibly that the passport has been invalidated.

On 9/28/2018 at 6:33 AM, NaamGin said:

That is WEIRD.

So you mean that during the process (2 weeks) you did not have any passport ?

I don't even think that's quite legal (from your consulate to hold your passport in the process), you're supposed to have a valid passport anytime.

What in case of control or whatever !?

My embassy only puncture my passport when then hand over the new one, they let you keep it during the process and it remains valid until you collect the new one.

Edited by Pepper9187

22 hours ago, Iem said:

Glad to see things have improved. I got caught up in the 2014 passport fiasco, after about 8 weeks still no passport and my permission to stay was about to expire. I had been here for about 6 years on Multi Non O but had to along to immigration and apply for a marriage extension to get another 30 days, immigration told me if I did not have a new passport not to bother coming back. After a few panic emails to various entities I got the passport 3 days before the under consideration ran out.

In the UK your passport is cancelled when the Passport Office log the application for renewal so getting another 90 days on the visa was not an option.

1 hour ago, sandyf said:

In the UK your passport is cancelled when the Passport Office log the application for renewal so getting another 90 days on the visa was not an option.

Certainly the case electronically, which is why one can't use the old passport for foreigh travel purposes in the meantime. But, visually speaking at least, isn't the old passport cancelled when the new one is collected from VFS who then wield a pair of scissors to snip off the top and bottom corners of the front cover of the old passport (a task which HMPO have, in their infinite wisdom, deemed too onerous for us to perform ourselves these days for some reason)?

In your case, was it not possible to obtain a 60-day extension for the purpose of visting your wife in the hope of tiding you over in 2014? Or was there not sufficient unexpired period remaining on your old passport for even this purpose? Or had you already obtained such an extension during the previous 6 years since the multi-entry non-O to which you refer had been issued?

Edited by OJAS

3 hours ago, Pepper9187 said:

That is WEIRD.

So you mean that during the process (2 weeks) you did not have any passport ?

I don't even think that's quite legal (from your consulate to hold your passport in the process), you're supposed to have a valid passport anytime.

This has been an option for getting a new passport from the USA-Embassy in Bangkok for years.  It appears it is now mandatory to do mail-return - which means not having a valid passport for 2 weeks. 

Thailand's "foreigner must have a passport at all times" law is enforced very arbitrarily - and with conflicting public-statements from different police officials at different times.  If you have copies of the old one, and the letter from the embassy stating they took it as part of a new-passport process, I seriously doubt the police would keep you in jail on those grounds alone.

15 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

This has been an option for getting a new passport from the USA-Embassy in Bangkok for years.  It appears it is now mandatory to do mail-return - which means not having a valid passport for 2 weeks. 

Thailand's "foreigner must have a passport at all times" law is enforced very arbitrarily - and with conflicting public-statements from different police officials at different times.  If you have copies of the old one, and the letter from the embassy stating they took it as part of a new-passport process, I seriously doubt the police would keep you in jail on those grounds alone.

Yep i know you pretty much don't risk anything by being here without a passport during 2 weeks but still in the eye of the law this "process" is very dodgy.

You kind of confused me with the "mail return" stuff, can you tell me if :

Do you have to hand over your old passport when you apply for a new one or do you have to hand it back only after receiving the new one ?

Pure curiosity, a bit stunned by that.