PP has no pages left 8 days left before overstay clock begins

On 9/28/2018 at 8:51 AM, ubonjoe said:

Actually most countries will accept a application for a new passport and issue a new one if you want to pay for it. They don't care how long you have remaining on your current passport or the reason you want a new one when you apply for it.

Many countries recommend applying for a new passport when you only have 9 months remaining on your current one.

But as of last month, the UK will not add the remaining time onto the new passport as they did previously.

27 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

This has been an option for getting a new passport from the USA-Embassy in Bangkok for years.  It appears it is now mandatory to do mail-return - which means not having a valid passport for 2 weeks. 

That is not correct. When you apply in person they cancel your old passport and give it back to you. Then mail the new one to you.

I posted that info on page one of this topic.

"The Passport Retrieval Process Has Changed! – Beginning 1 July 2018:

Passport Return by Thai Post Registered Mail:
Your new passport will be sent to your mailing address in Thailand through registered mail. ACS will cancel your current passport at the time of application and return it to you."

Source after selecting the embassy to receive your passport. https://th.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/passports/adult-passport-renew/

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

That is not correct. When you apply in person they cancel your old passport and give it back to you. Then mail the new one to you.

I posted that info on page one of this topic.

"The Passport Retrieval Process Has Changed! – Beginning 1 July 2018:

Passport Return by Thai Post Registered Mail:
Your new passport will be sent to your mailing address in Thailand through registered mail. ACS will cancel your current passport at the time of application and return it to you."

Source after selecting the embassy to receive your passport. https://th.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/passports/adult-passport-renew/

Yes, and thanks for the update - I was not aware of this until reading this thread.  When I did it the last time (old system), they took my passport and mailed both back together. 

But even under the new system, one still doesn't have a valid passport, because it has been cancelled.  The new system is better in terms of ID with Thai police, but prevents people from being able to do a border-bounce, update an extension, etc.

2 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

The new system is better in terms of ID with Thai police, but prevents people from being able to do a border-bounce, update an extension, etc.

If it took longer than it does I could see it being a problem for getting an extension and leaving for a new entry. I would think most people could plan around the 2 weeks at the most it takes to get the new passport.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, OJAS said:

Certainly the case electronically, which is why one can't use the old passport for foreigh travel purposes in the meantime. But, visually speaking at least, isn't the old passport cancelled when the new one is collected from VFS who then wield a pair of scissors to snip off the top and bottom corners of the front cover of the old passport (a task which HMPO have, in their infinite wisdom, deemed too onerous for us to perform ourselves these days for some reason)?

In your case, was it not possible to obtain a 60-day extension for the purpose of visting your wife in the hope of tiding you over in 2014? Or was there not sufficient unexpired period remaining on your old passport for even this purpose? Or had you already obtained such an extension during the previous 6 years since the multi-entry non-O to which you refer had been issued?

The 60 day was not a really a valid option as I was booked to go back to the UK not long after the 30 day under consideration, and I doubt very much if immigration would have agreed to it. If immigration had given me 7 days to leave the country, I think I was looking at 3 days overstay and an ETD, then I would have been back in UK and every chance of my passport being in Thailand.

My passport was full up, and I mean full up. There was some debate over allowing the under consideration stamp, they had to get permission from the head honcho to infringe on another stamp. I suspect a normal extension stamp would have been out of the question. I had been to Malaysia a couple of months previous and they went and put a sticker,which I hadn't expected, right in the middle of the available space making the space around it virtually unusable. A bit further up the page and it would have been a lot less of a problem.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Got the 30 day extension first on a Friday at Chang Wattana.  Went to the US Embassy the next Tuesday (must book on website, Monday was full when I tried to book the Thursday night before I got 30day extension) and applied for the new passport.  Right then and there they punched two holes in it and gave it to me there.

New procedure as of July 2018 is that you get your new pp mailed to you within 2 weeks (I got mine in the mail 11 days later-live in PhayaThai district).  Along with the passport  comes a letter from the embassy stating it is a new passport and for immigration to please cooperate in transferring visas, entry stamps, yada yada.

I went to immigration with new and old passport and embassy letter.  One copy of new and old pp biodata, one copy of 30 day renewal from old pp.  Took about an hour and 20minutes at CW but would have taken about an hour and ten minutes if this beautiful girl from Laos in front of me didn't have such beautiful eye make-up.  The immigration officer in my line was so impressed that she asked the woman if she could do her make-up.  She stopped working at her desk and brought the Laosy girl to the back of her cubicle where she proceeded to put on eyeliner, eye shadow for ten minutes then she returned to work.  The Laosy girl got her pp back before me even though I saw the same official 15 minutes earlier ???? 

• Haha 1