Bangkok top destination in the world last year: Mastercard’s Index

webfact

Bangkok top destination in the world last year: Mastercard’s Index

42664069_10161185684140085_7319642218287

Bangkok was the world’s top destination last year, three years in a row, with 20.05 million people visiting the capital in 2017 and a 9.6% growth in number of visitors is predicted for this year, according to Mastercard’s Global Destinations Cities Index.

Visitors to Bangkok tend to stay 4.7 nights during their trips and spend, on average, US$173 a day, according to Mastercard.

By Mastercard’s assessment, Bangkok is more affordable than Paris, Singapore or Seoul. But it is more expensive than London, according to Mastercard.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/bangkok-top-destination-in-the-world-last-year-mastercards-index/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2018-09-27

"Bangkok was the world’s top destination last year, three years in a row, with 20.05 million people visiting the capital in 2017 and a 9.6% growth in number of visitors is predicted for this year, according to Mastercard’s Global Destinations Cities Index."

Now this is impressive. 9.6% growth this year.

Turns out TAT are on the ball

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, webfact said:

Bangkok was the world’s top destination last year, three years in a row, with 20.05 million people visiting the capital in 2017

must count flying into the only intl airport of note as 'visiting'; and if they stay there more than just transiting out, then i count those travelers among the world's stupidest

must count flying into the only intl airport of note as 'visiting'; and if they stay there more than just transiting out, then i count those travelers among the world's stupidest
This is a world wide survey. In no way is bangkok the busiest hub. For the first time they have included average stays at 4.7 days. Your airport layover is already included

This thread is dead for good reason. Good news apparently is not well received on TV
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

12 hours ago, SuperTed said:

No better time than now to close the red light districts. Prove to the world travelers come to Thailand for culture, not sex.

Problem is this is untrue. Thailand's reputation was set in stone decades ago, and has always been understood and sat well with foreign tourists. This reputation is a fascinating mixture of traditional local culture and licentiousness, the long established slogan "Amazing Thailand" is spot on for the country. I have friends and family in the West who all consider it must be a great place to live based on how it's portrayed in the media, with so many contradictions existing at once. To be honest, I'm baffled why anyone who's uptight about sex would ever be attracted to live or visit here. 

• Haha 1

Tourism from Europe is down. However, Massive influx of Chinese tourists who want to experience a change from their sterile cities. The sad scenario though is the Junta are destroying the street culture, the vibrancy of the city that many come to Bangkok for.

Destroy tourism and the Thai economy would collapse.

Why try to fix something that works?

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

• Like 1

17 hours ago, webfact said:

Bangkok top destination in the world last year

Headline should read "Bangkok top transit destination in the world last year" especially for tourists holidaying in other Asian countries. Maybe spend a few days in Bangkok and then move on to less garbage ridden and safer destinations.

Apart from transit passengers take out the 27% Chinese zero dollar tourist invasion and Bangkok would be well down the list. 

Edited by Cadbury

That could be said for most hubs. Fly to Paris stay 5 days and then off to somewhere else.

Why do you think bangkok is special? 3 years in a row and 10% growth forecast this year, not by TAT but mastercard. TAT AND mastercard are about the same in predictions. Much to the disgust of TV posters but you just gotta Suck it up boys next year will be 4 in a row!!

Headline should read "Bangkok top transit destination in the world last year" especially for tourists holidaying in other Asian countries. Maybe spend a few days in Bangkok and then move on to less garbage ridden and safer destinations.
Apart from transit passengers take out the 27% Chinese zero dollar tourist invasion and Bangkok would be well down the list. 

Tourism from Europe is down. However, Massive influx of Chinese tourists who want to experience a change from their sterile cities. The sad scenario though is the Junta are destroying the street culture, the vibrancy of the city that many come to Bangkok for.

Destroy tourism and the Thai economy would collapse.

Why try to fix something that works?

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect
I own a couple of condos in lower Sukhumvit near Asoke bts. Let me tell you the streets are packed and so are the malls and it's low season. Nobody cares about the missing soup stalls or dildo salesman.

At an average spend of $173 a day that's not to shabby and who cares who spends it? The Chinese here are not Pattaya flag followers but Middle class with $$$

On ‎9‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 1:17 AM, blackhorse said:

Oh dear with all the bashers saying BKK is going down hill.. 

Don't believe everything you read.  I believe Paris, London and New York City would give them a run for their money.