What's more important? Treatment for my beaten up dad or a 13 digit number?

snoop1130

What's more important? Treatment for my beaten up dad or a 13 digit number?

jkhjkhj.JPG

A furious Thai daughter went on Facebook to complain about a government hospital in Chonburi.

Inthira Hopad said that she had taken her 67 year old father Jaran there on Tuesday after he was beaten unconscious in an attack in his home.

He had already been unconscious for two hours when medics treated him but the state hospital where he was taken refused to treat him until they got his 13 digit Thai ID number. 

The family offered to pay cash but the hospital refused insisting they needed the 13 digits. 

Inthira told the media later that her father had to wait a further two hours before the number was obtained.

Pictures of Jaran - badly battered and swollen - were shown on the Daily News site. 

He lives in the Bang Lamung area near to Pattaya. 

The assault has been reported to the police and the family believe it is the work of debt collectors after their money.

Source: https://www.dailynews.co.th/regional/668255

thai+visa_news.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-9-27

That guy is 67?? wow.

He already got some initial care in his own house. It doesn't look like an emergency, so if he had two wait 2 hours at the hospital doesn't seem such a big deal. But if it's true that they were just waiting to put his number in a file, it would be silly indeed.

• Confused 6
  • Sad 7

12 minutes ago, The Teacher said:

Sweet Jesus, give them any 13 digit number, They don't care anyway 

Why make a crazy comment like that?

You clearly have no idea what you are talking about.

They check the 13 digit number to see who it is registered to.

I never go near the records office at the hospital, i am lifted out of the pickup and straight into the emergency room, yet the office staff know instantly.... Farang.

Edited by colinneil
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, car720 said:

In may the government hospitals changed their system, now they will do nothing without the 13 digit number.

3 hours ago, colinneil said:

my wife came to the emergency room with my papers, moaning about the crazy situation having to wait, then handing over my 13 digit number just to get my papers.

What 13 digit number are you talking about - for yourself?

I've been in the hospital, plus many appointments there since May, and I don't have a 13 digit number.

• Confused 1

Just now, TerryLH said:

What 13 digit number are you talking about - for yourself?

I've been in the hospital, plus many appointments there since May, and I don't have a 13 digit number.

Do you pay?

My 13 digit number is the number on my i.d. card and in my yellow book.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mikebell said:

And Thailand wants to promote itself as a hub for Medical Tourism!

Yes, but not Government Hospitals. There are many good private hospitals throughout Thailand (besides the expensive RAM and Bangkok Hospitals) that offer excellent services such as the new Ratchaphruek Hospital in Khon Kaen. I recently attended for an operation to have a small carcinoma removed from my neck and the total cost (including biopsy) was 12,500 baht. A colleague of mine had a similar "op" in our local RAM to remove one from the side of his nose - his total cost 48,000 baht. Both operations were done under local anesthetic and we were in/out the same day.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, mok199 said:

thais in authority...where ,when the patient is right ,only means they( the hospital staff) go to a completely pathetic and unethical place, to prove THEY are in charge..disgusting behavior...

Just like private hospitals don't want to treat you.

Money speaks louder as medical integrity.

In this case, however, the rules were administered quite harshly in the state hospital.

Although I guess the fear to do something wrong was the ultimate reason.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, arithai12 said:

That guy is 67?? wow.

He already got some initial care in his own house. It doesn't look like an emergency, so if he had two wait 2 hours at the hospital doesn't seem such a big deal. But if it's true that they were just waiting to put his number in a file, it would be silly indeed.

It's an administrative thing, the doctors and nurses have to bow down to rules and regulations as well. A German friend of mine went on a hiking holiday in Austria, he was stung in the throat by a bee. He fanticaly flagged down a passing car and was taken to hospital. Although his throat was so swollen by this time that he could barely speak they wanted his insurance details before they gave him antihistamine treatment, he was frightened that he would suffocate, all his papers were in his hotel room, in the end they accepted his German driving license and the name of the insurance company as well as signing numerous forms before treatment, money rules.

4 hours ago, colinneil said:

In may the government hospitals changed their system, now they will do nothing without the 13 digit number.

On tuesday wife took me to the local hospital for catheter change, now being a regular going every 3 weeks, porters wheeled me in, nurses changed the catheter.

Then i was wheeled outside, 15 minutes later my wife came to the emergency room with my papers, moaning about the crazy situation having to wait, then handing over my 13 digit number just to get my papers.

Some times the nurses wont change my catheter until they have my papers meaning i can wait anything up to 2 hours.

So it looks like that poor man got the same nonsense, no action until they got his papers, bloody pathetic.

Its pathetic... especially if the situation is life threatening. But they do need this information and use the non service as a way to get it. Otherwise people might take treatment and never give that number then the hospital is in trouble..

Is it anoying, sure.. (and should not happen for life threatening things) but having the right papers in order is needed in hospitals you can't blame them for having to account for things.

On tuesday wife took me to the local hospital for catheter change, now being a regular going every 3 weeks, porters wheeled me in, nurses changed the catheter.

Then i was wheeled outside, 15 minutes later my wife came to the emergency room with my papers, moaning about the crazy situation having to wait, then handing over my 13 digit number just to get my papers.

Some times the nurses wont change my catheter until they have my papers meaning i can wait anything up to 2 hours.

So it looks like that poor man got the same nonsense, no action until they got his papers, bloody pathetic.

why you have a 13 digit number, is it 13 on the pink id card as well?

Aren't you guys being a little unreasonable here. If it was life or death situation that can't wait for any second, they will treat you immediately then paperwork later. Those complaint about having to wait for paperwork here obviously still alive and kicking. You should also consider how government hospitals in Thailand are providing such low price medical care to their citizen and free to those can't pay. All government hospitals are operating under very very tight budget and often under deficit. Some hospital rely on donations from royal family each year. It's very reasonable for hospital to follow procedure and make sure each patient is Thai citizen, paid his/her bill or done proper paper for whatever free medical care they qualify for. Otherwise any foreigner can just show up, get the treatments and then disappear.

Take a photo and keep it on your phone as a back up

• Like 1