Want to retire in Thailand, but under 50 yrs old - how??

My wife and I are wanting to retire to Thailand (from the USA). We are both under 50 (48 yrs old). We have the required income (65000 THB per month). Is this possible? I have only seen 90 day visas. Border hopping is not desired but I suppose we could do it. Any help would be much appreciated!

As said you will not be able to apply for visas or extensions of stay based upon retirement until your 50th birthday.

Getting multiple entry tourist visas (METV) would be a good start. The visa allows unlimited 60 day entries for 6 months from the date of issue. Each entry can be extended for 30 day at a immigration office. You can get almost 9 months of total stay from getting a new 60 day entry on or the date the visa expires and extending it for 60 days. 

You could apply for the visas at the Thai embassy in DC or one of the consulates in New York, Chicago or Los Angeles. Requirements are here on the embassy website. http://thaiembdc.org/tourist-visa-category-tr-multiple-metv/

It appears you are retired from the military. Proof of that would would be accepted instead of proof of employment to apply for the visas.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My wife and I moved to Thailand last November, also from USA.

I was 44 and my wife 41..

To get here and buy some time,  we came here on a 6 month METV (Multiple Entry Tourist Visa)

After arriving and getting established, we started doing what we needed, to get my wife a ED Visa for Learning Thai Language. Starting in May, she goes to classes 4 days a week, 2 hours a day.

Myself,  I work outside of Thailand (35 days working / 35 days off).  I do not have a Long-term Visa as I am always coming/going.

So, as someone else said...  to get here and get established, come here on a 6 Month METV,  do the Border Runs, etc until you go thru the process of getting a ED Visa.

8 minutes ago, Bok <deleted> Do said:

So, as someone else said...  to get here and get established, come here on a 6 Month METV,  do the Border Runs, etc until you go thru the process of getting a ED Visa.

Just be aware that you have to go to school if you get the ED Visa, the days of people getting ED Visa just for the purpose of staying here without visiting classes are over (at least in parts of the country there is a big focus on this with random visits from immigration at school checking attendance).  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, huberthammer said:

Just be aware that you have to go to school if you get the ED Visa, the days of people getting ED Visa just for the purpose of staying here without visiting classes are over (at least in parts of the country there is a big focus on this with random visits from immigration at school checking attendance).  

One should go to school - and why not, if paying for it?  Learning Thai is helpful here.  If in class every day, you don't have to worry about whether your school arranged for prior-warning, so they can send out txt-msgs to students warning them about the "surprise" visits.

Even if going the ED route honestly, it may be wise to find a school which handles your extensions for you - usually for an extra-fee.  Some Immigration officials at some offices don't care if you "really go to school" - they care if you are getting your extensions via a brown-envelope arrangement with the school for "no hassle" treatment.  Failure to use this process could result in shorter extensions, and other hassles. 

If you plan to travel while here on an ED Visa and subsequent ED-based extensions-of-stay, be aware that using a re-entry permit with an ED-based permission-of-stay can be troublesome, when returning via certain problem-checkpoints (including both Bangkok airports).  Officials at these entry-points are not getting a cut of "no hassle extension" money, and are apparently attempting to deny as many longer-staying foreigners as possible on Tourist and ED based stays.  Therefore, if you need to leave Thailand and return while on ED, be sure to have 20K Baht worth of cash "spending money" to show upon entry, and a letter from the school excusing your absence.  We have no nightmare-reports from land borders other than Poipet / Aranyaprathet, so using those entry-points can avoid this problem.

Bottom line - do things honestly, but be prepared for situations with immigration where your honesty and following the rules as written is not appreciated.  It is difficult to predict whether an official you will deal with is one of the honest ones or not.  How things work varies considerably by which local-office you deal with, and which service/extension-type you need at that office.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, huberthammer said:

No you don't.. Lets just say i know someone who has had 2 in a row 6 months ED visas

4 hours ago, Huayrat said:

No you don't.. Lets just say i know someone who has had 2 in a row 6 months ED visas

I knew a lot of them,  they since have all disappeared or made other visa arrangements. As I mentioned, it is in parts of Thailand where the visa is now strictly enforced by both Immigration and Ministry of Education. Maybe you are in a place where this is not (yet) enforced.

Some schools here lost over half their "students" when the rules were enforced. It is by no means the easy road to living in Thailand anymore. 

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, chicowoodduck said:

Take it slow and do not burn any USA bridges.....you might find the party over after a few years in LOS.......just saying.....????????

Or you might think the party is over in the US and be glad to watch all that's going on there from a comfortable distance.

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, KiChakayan said:

Well, I you are 48, why not just wait a couple of years? Make some extra money where you are, or travel around the world? Like some people said things are a lot easier here if you go by the book. There are also countries that are a lot more welcoming, possibly cheaper, than Thailand...

If you're considering the Phillipines or Cambodia or even Mexico.  I have recently tried them all. The number one difference is relative safety. Also, while medical in the Phillipines can be world class, be aware that because of their stance on drugs, legitimate severe pain management is a known major issue. Good luck finding any legal prescription drugs to deal with acute cancer pain for example, this is a big deal for anyone over 50.

In all of these countries in all but the best neighborhoods you'll be dealing with farmyard animals, dirt roads, and constant stench of burning plastic and other trash in the streets. There is a reason they're 'cheap' to live in. Which brings me to groceries. In the Phillipines and Cambodia, your favourite brands -and you invariably will consume more of them then you think- can be up to double the price of your home country, and their 'fresh' food markets look like they bought the stuff Thailand trashed the day before! Utilities are dodgy, the internet is terrible, and tradesmen as we know them, don't exist.  For all its faults, Thailand is your best bet IMHO. 

Edited by Small Joke
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, huberthammer said:

Some schools here lost over half their "students" when the rules were enforced. It is by no means the easy road to living in Thailand anymore. 

I would re-translate that to, "Some schools here lost over half their 'students' due to an increase in the under-the-table cost for hassle-free extensions and higher-tuition to cover the increase in minimum-hours."

Note that some areas have since reduced the hours-requirement.  I would assume this is because the under-the-table income for some immigration officials had decreased, rather than increased, due to the cost-increase being too steep for market-demand for this permitted-stay method. 

12 minutes ago, Oxx said:

Investment visa - deposit 10 million baht with Krung Thai bank, problem sorted.  (Other options for the 10 million baht are available, but less convenient.)

Why do you state Krung Thai bank. Is that because you think it has to be in a government owned bank? 

If yes that is not correct. It can be in any bank as long as the majority ownership is Thai.

From clause 2.5 of the police order that is for a investment extension of stay.

"(4) Must have evidence of investing in the form of a fixed deposit of no less than Baht 10 million with a bank which is registered in Thailand and has Thai nationals holding more than 50 percent"

18 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

I would re-translate that to, "Some schools here lost over half their 'students' due to an increase in the under-the-table cost for hassle-free extensions and higher-tuition to cover the increase in minimum-hours."

Note that some areas have since reduced the hours-requirement.  I would assume this is because the under-the-table income for some immigration officials had decreased, rather than increased, due to the cost-increase being too steep for market-demand for this permitted-stay method. 

For 10 million you can get the elite visa for both your wife and you with lots of cash to spare. As you need to bridge just a couple of years, elite visa will be the most convenient option. And legal without any need for border runs. 

29 minutes ago, bbz404 said:

For 10 million you can get the elite visa for both your wife and you with lots of cash to spare. As you need to bridge just a couple of years, elite visa will be the most convenient option. And legal without any need for border runs. 

While it's an option, to consider, I personally would avoid this route unless you really have serious cash to throw around.  And you're a golf fanatic (club membership comes with it) as others mentioned previously, that kind of money would be better spent travelling the world before you hit the big five oh. 

Edited by Small Joke

I agree, in general, with your sentiments on this, but ...

28 minutes ago, Small Joke said:

If you're considering the Phillipines or Cambodia or even Mexico.  I have recently tried them all. The number one difference is relative safety.

Definitely true for Latin America.  I didn't have a problem in the PI if outside Manila (which seems like another country).  Outside of Manila, locals would warn of dangers in some areas, so I carried a "throwaway wallet" when going there (night-markets in poorer areas, etc) - but nothing ever happened.  No problem with safety in Cambodia, either.  Locals said the cops would raise-hell if a foreigner was attacked, so we were safer than they were.

Also, while medical in the Phillipines can be world class, be aware that because of their stance on drugs, legitimate severe pain management is a known major issue. Good luck finding any legal prescription drugs to deal with acute cancer pain for example, this is a big deal for anyone over 50.

That's a good point.  But is Thailand any better?  For the sake of those afflicted, I hope so.  I went to a dentist here, and he gave me some acetomenophen (tylenol).  I said I use ibuprofen, which works 10x better on tooth-pain.  He said that was dangerous (yes, in some rare flu-cases) - ironic, since Acetomenophen is a cumulative-acting liver-toxin.  I hope ibuprofen remains available here (or a similar safe NSAI), or I will be going abroad any time I have significant pain to deal with.

As another example of this, I cannot get a Sutafed (psudeo-ephedrine) tablet in Thailand when I have a cold, and want to be awake and have a clear-head during the day.  Instead, they offer a replacement-drug, with a similar-sounding name, that has shown No Effect on congestion-symptoms in double-blind studies, but increases blood-pressure (dangerous for some).  "Actifed" and other anti-histimes will do the trick on your symptoms, but also leave you in a near-comotose state. 

The illicit-drug makers/dealers get their junk from Laos and China, so this restriction is pointless - typical "we are addressing the problem" theater.

1 hour ago, Small Joke said:

In all of these countries in all but the best neighborhoods you'll be dealing with farmyard animals, dirt roads, and constant stench of burning plastic and other trash in the streets.

In the PI, outside of Manila or Cebu (maybe Davao), I found it difficult to find accommodations which fall somewhere between "resort" and "shack," due to almost no middle-class existing.  Cebu was no-problem - every decent apt-complex has 24-hr security and don't tolerate burning-plastic, etc. 

In Phnom Penh Cambodia, it is hit-and-miss, but many areas are OK - doesn't have to be a "rich" area to be safe and clean.

Which brings me to groceries. In the Phillipines and Cambodia, your favourite brands -and you invariably will consume more of them then you think- can be up to double the price of your home country

I have found close to this cost-difference here, also.  A can of Baked Beans comes to mind.  But you will find a few more "Made in Thailand" western-style goods, which aren't too bad.  If you love Thai food, as I do, it's not much of an issue. 

, and their 'fresh' food markets look like they bought the stuff Thailand trashed the day before!

I used to eat fresh-food from a typical Cambodian market daily (rarely saw another foreigner in there).  There was nasty-stuff there, but also fresh stuff.  Same for the PI, Mexico, and Latin-America in general.  The trouble with the Asian markets, IMO, is getting used to the smell of fermented shrimp products.  I suggest bleach-washing all veggies from city-markets, if outside USA, Europe, Australia.

Utilities are dodgy, 

Some Thai landlords double the electric-cost (also Cambodia) - but the power is definitely on more consistently here than Cambodia (in the past - I hear it's better now) or The Philippines.  In my experience in the Philippines, if you live in Manila or Cebu, the power is better, since they cut-off power for everyone else to keep it on in those locations. 

the internet is terrible,

Better these days in the PI than in the past, and was much-better in Cambodia years before it got better in Thailand (after Cambodia stopped trying to prop-up the Vietnam-owned state-telecom - competition and de-regulation fixed the problem).

and tradesmen as we know them, don't exist.  For all its faults, Thailand is your best bet IMHO. 

I can't find many of those here in Thailand, either.  Setting aside my own former-trade, which is downright painful to watch (I bite my tongue), it's bizarre watching workers do work in other trades below the minimum standards even I know.  Many of those guys (I have spoken to) have worked in Singapore, the Middle East, etc - so know what should be done - but do not have to do it here, given local quality-expectations and/or the owner's unwillingness to purchase the needed supplies.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, bbz404 said:

For 10 million you can get the elite visa for both your wife and you with lots of cash to spare.

But with the elite visa you are simply throwing money away.  With an investment visa you keep the cash (and get interest on it).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Oxx said:

Investment visa - deposit 10 million baht with Krung Thai bank, problem sorted.  (Other options for the 10 million baht are available, but less convenient.)

Always have a plan B. 

To elaborate on on that, for me and my 'comfortably set' Thai Mrs are moving some of her assets OUT of Thailand. 

My policy is not to deposit one Satang more than I have to, to pay for whatever stamp I can legitimately get here. 

Look how it ended for Alan Hogg last week. 

2 minutes ago, Oxx said:

But with the elite visa you are simply throwing money away.  With an investment visa you keep the cash (and get interest on it).

For 800k for 5 years for 2 people including 6 annual long haul airport transfers I think it is a hassle free alternative for the price of a medium sized car. I personally don't think this is throwing money away but to each their own. 

If I remember correctly they’ve changed the required monthly income for a retirement visa for married couples from on spouse having the 65K per month to both spouses, which brings it up to 130000 a month.

If you can afford it it would probably be best to get a condominium investment visa. This means you will have to buy a condo or several condos for a total value of at least 10 Million Baht. If this was an option and it was my choice, I’d go for several condos, one for yourselves and two to rent out, which would provide you with an additional income.

You can google 10 Million baht condominium investment visa.

Cheers

4 minutes ago, pacovl46 said:

If I remember correctly they’ve changed the required monthly income for a retirement visa for married couples from on spouse having the 65K per month to both spouses, which brings it up to 130000 a month.

Nothing has been changed.

If both apply for extension of stay based upon retirement they would need 65k baht of income each. Not a combined income of 130k baht.

If only one of them gets the extension based upon retirement only 65k baht of income is needed. The other other one can apply for an extension based upon being their spouse with no financial proof. 

15 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Nothing has been changed.

If both apply for extension of stay based upon retirement they would need 65k baht of income each. Not a combined income of 130k baht.

If only one of them gets the extension based upon retirement only 65k baht of income is needed. The other other one can apply for an extension based upon being their spouse with no financial proof. 

I definitely  remember reading on Thai Visa that this was to be changed to both needing the 65K.  That was several years ago, though, and I don’t know if this was implemented, hence my initial comment being started with „if I remember correctly“.

Thank you all very much. Much to think about. We are both excited about the ED visa option, never looked at it from a “I go to school and learn Thai” perspective. We both want to learn the language, and being able to stay longer to learn it sounds good. My wife will be 6 months away from 50 when we go and I’ll be 18 months from 50.

How long can we stay on an ED Visa? Without really pushing the limits? Is 1 year a reasonable time frame for an ED Visa? Or arrive under a tourist visa then apply for ED?

We are both currently school teachers, anyone have experience with a Category B visa for teaching in Thailand? English language teachers in Thailand?

We certainly are not dead set on retiring to Thailand, but it is currently our #1 choice and would like to give it at least a year before deciding to move to a different country. I have visited plenty of times with the US Navy and am familiar with the people and customs (for the most part). I do understand living there is quite different from just visiting though.

thanks again!!

23 hours ago, KiChakayan said:

Well, I you are 48, why not just wait a couple of years? Make some extra money where you are, or travel around the world? Like some people said things are a lot easier here if you go by the book. There are also countries that are a lot more welcoming, possibly cheaper, than Thailand...

Which countries are you suggesting?