Irritated throat from exhaust fumes

lapd

My throat tends to get irritated a lot in Thailand.  It's almost certainly from walking around inhaling exhaust fumes.  Then it gets phlegmy and itchy and I develop a constant hack.

Are there any good long-term solutions?  I try to minimize my outdoor walking.  Especially along busy traffic areas.  I hate the idea of wearing a surgical mask everywhere but if it helps even a little bit it's probably worth it.  I use fishermans friend lozenges but that only treats the symptoms.   I went to the pharmacy and she suggested Mysoven (active ingredient Acetylctsteine).  That seems to help clear out the phlegm but it's not really a long term solution.  She also suggested an antihistamine to help me sleep.  Again, not really a long-term solution.

Frankly, only real solution is avoiding it. Many TV members develop respiratory problems that resolve only when they move to areas with cleaner air.

A mask may help somewhat as may limiting your walking to other than rush hours but only to a degree.

The cough and itchy throat you are aware of is not the only damage occurring. And the exhaust fumes are not the only culprit. Lots of other particles in city air here, due to construction, factories etc.

Move if you can. There are parts of Thailand with clean air. And among the places with not so clean air there are gradations  in severity.  Sometimes even a short move can help, say from city center to outskirts, but do your homework first re air quality.

1 hour ago, Sheryl said:

Frankly, only real solution is avoiding it. Many TV members develop respiratory problems that resolve only when they move to areas with cleaner air.

A mask may help somewhat as may limiting your walking to other than rush hours but only to a degree.

The cough and itchy throat you are aware of is not the only damage occurring. And the exhaust fumes are not the only culprit. Lots of other particles in city air here, due to construction, factories etc.

Move if you can. There are parts of Thailand with clean air. And among the places with not so clean air there are gradations  in severity.  Sometimes even a short move can help, say from city center to outskirts, but do your homework first re air quality.

For a person wanting to live close enough to Bangkok to get there within a couple of hour commute are there any areas you could suggest. I have a friend who also has the exact problem mentioned by the OP and he struggles with the same problem. 

Couple hours each way or roundtrip? (If a daily commute obviously the latter)

2 hours from Bangkok city limits in pretty much all directions is clean air: Nakon Nayok, Prachinburi, Chachengsao, Kanchanaburi, Suphanaburi, Saraburi, Ayuttyha etc especially if not in the capital towns, but even in them, no at all bad.

If you want just 1 hour each way (2 roundtrip) then most of Nakorn Pathom is reasonable, so are the westernmost parts of Chahchengsao. Parts of Patumthani aren't too bad as well.

I'm 2 hours from Bkk city limits near Khao Yai national part with crystal clear skies and air. That is close enough to go in and come back in a day, though further than one would want to commute daily for work. And virtually no other farang around, which doesn't bother me but would bother many people.

I recall in Chiang Mai they were selling gray color masks made by 3M that were a lot more suitable than a white surgical mask might be.  The 3M masks were specifically for exhaust pollutants but they fit tight to the face and you might stick out a bit when walking the streets.  Are you living in Thailand all of the year and where do you live?  I have been looking to find an area in Thailand where there is less pollution and will check out Sheryl's suggestions on the map. 

10 hours ago, RichardThailand said:

I recall in Chiang Mai they were selling gray color masks made by 3M that were a lot more suitable than a white surgical mask might be.  The 3M masks were specifically for exhaust pollutants but they fit tight to the face and you might stick out a bit when walking the streets.  Are you living in Thailand all of the year and where do you live?  I have been looking to find an area in Thailand where there is less pollution and will check out Sheryl's suggestions on the map. 

It's even worse up North because of all the burning they do there.

I am in Pattaya.  Fifteen years ago I would go from Bkk to Pattaya to clear up my hack.  Now a days I have the same problem in Pattaya which has a lot more traffic now.   It helps when there is a breeze coming in off the ocean.  I spend a lot of time in malls now which have filtered air con air.

Archived