Vietnam

mrblonde

Ive been a regular visitor to Thailand for 10 years now, first couple of years as a single guy and more recently 3 trips back with my english GF, who loves the place equally as much as I do (even Pattaya).  We've spoken to a few people who say to try Vietnam, and we feel we should, but part of us is a bit worried about comparing it to Thailand and not liking it as much (I know, how can we compare if we've never been)

Any of you been to Vietnam, and how does it compare?  In Thailand we love everything, from partying in Pattaya to the remote ruins in Buriram (Phanom Rung) and Ayutthaya and everytihng in between.   How did you find Vietnam in comparison? 

Edited by mrblonde
corrected spelling mistakes
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, cant swap 4 that said:

vietnam is beautiful lovely people cheaper living their party life is no where near as wild `as thailand it is chaotic traffic in the citys but out in the country side is relaxed 

im british i dont need visa upto 15 days my gf is a aussie she needs one 

1 hour ago, shaurene said:

Been to Vietnam 3 times, I love it. People so friendly and helpfull. They have no anermosity over the War.

Food it great. Beautiful clean beaches, and clean seas. Sigon very busy and lots of places to go, plenty bars. No bar girls like In Pattaya.

went to Darnang and the city before you get there, it was awsome. Rooms were great and very cheap. I booked through Booking.Com.

Went up the Hanoi on the overnight train. Bit different, it went up the coast passing beautiful towns and beaches.

You must go on the boat out to the group of Island in the sea area  off Hanoi amazing we had 3 nights on the boat, fantastic. Hanoi was buzzing loved it. The Police and Military are very friendly and helpfull. We are going again next month. You can fly out of Bangkok main airport on a budget Vietnam Air line very cheap Vietjet. You need a visa but there are a couple places you can land in that issue a visa on arrival.

I have been to Vietnam and totally agree with the above. Worth visiting are Halong Bay and Sapa (French Hill station) from Hanoi (my favourite compared to Bangkok-like Ho Chi Minh). Da Nang has Marble Mountain and the tallest lady Buddha in the World. Hoi An is a UNESCO listed old trading port. Hue is the old capital city. My only complaint is that Vietnam is so popular these days many of these places are very busy indeed. FOR REFERENCE: If you are a CITIZEN OF THE UK you do NOT need a visa. On entry you get 15 days "free" but if you want to stay longer then you need a visa. If any of you living in Issan who intend visiting Vietnam there is a Vietnamese Consulate in Khon Kaen that issues visas.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Ulic said:

Vietnam is cheaper, cleaner, similar excellent culinary experience, better beaches, friendlier people.

No double pricing, safer (no ladyboy issues). Less English spoken outside any tourist areas

but surprisingly many Vietnamese/American ex-pats visiting "home" that are very helpful.

No visible sex industry (not saying it does not exist, just not visible)

All this said there is a construction boom in places like Da Nang and Nha Trang, so it can be noisy

and dusty in places. My personal opinion is Vietnam will eat Thailands "tourism lunch" in

ten years when it opens more widely its visa-free/visa exempt on arrival travel and direct flights

become more readily available. Vietnam is already popular for Russian, Australian, Chinese,

Japanese, Taiwanese, couples.

From what I seen in Hoi an and from Da nang to Hoi an the Chinese have had lunch already and are back for a 3 course slap up dinner !! They are building villages that have everything so the property owners never need leave . Seen restaurants with 8 bus loads of Chinese every day at the same time and they are buying 2-3 million dollar property in places along the beach side and hundreds of condos starting at 60,000 usd .

2 hours ago, shaurene said:

Been to Vietnam 3 times, I love it. People so friendly and helpfull. They have no anermosity over the War.

Food it great. Beautiful clean beaches, and clean seas. Sigon very busy and lots of places to go, plenty bars. No bar girls like In Pattaya.

went to Darnang and the city before you get there, it was awsome. Rooms were great and very cheap. I booked through Booking.Com.

Went up the Hanoi on the overnight train. Bit different, it went up the coast passing beautiful towns and beaches.

You must go on the boat out to the group of Island in the sea area  off Hanoi amazing we had 3 nights on the boat, fantastic. Hanoi was buzzing loved it. The Police and Military are very friendly and helpfull. We are going again next month. You can fly out of Bangkok main airport on a budget Vietnam Air line very cheap Vietjet. You need a visa but there are a couple places you can land in that issue a visa on arrival.

Vietnam is better period. But you miss the cheap real estate market and health facilities 

1 hour ago, atyclb said:

extensive viet travel multiple times. one incident with motorbike taxi trying to cheat me. 1 restaurant that had a separate menu for foreigners 

I've only been twice to Vietnam.    I'm always prepared for a rip off or two no matter how aware I am when I travel.

Outside the War Museum in HCMC I mistook the color of a taxi and paid around 5 times what I should have paid to get dropped off a block from our hotel next to the Opera House.    I suspect the driver wanted to avoid the hotel doormen.

But those small incidents can't be allowed to influence one's overall impression of a country and especially one as enchanting as Vietnam.

I wanted to stay at the hotel where Graham Green stayed as he wrote "The Quiet American”.     Very reasonably priced and a grand hotel.

The adaption of the book  staring Michael Caine can be seen here:

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, thecyclist said:

Lived in Thailand for over 25 years, and have been living in Vietnam now for a year, and have to say that some of the posts here are ludicrous :Budget accommodation is definitely significantly cheaper in Vietnam, local food somewhat, and alcohol a lot cheaper.

No way are there more hookers in Vietnam.

Vietnamese show a genuine interest in farang, although there English language skills are way behind. By and large, Vietnamese are honest, although there are regional variations :Hoi An being the rip-off capital of Vietnam.

Because of the xenophobia in Thailand, and their often aggressive and violent preoccupation with money and face, I definitely prefer Vietnam. 

Agree,

What area of Vietnam have you chosen?

Interested actually, as to where you settled on. I tend to go North but that is based o friends over there.

Been living in Thailand 10 years.  Within that time, I made 2 visits to Vietnam.  #1 was 9 days solo in Saigon, (HCMC.)  Inadequate nightlife, horns were a nuisance, some people were friendly, hawkers were uncomfortably aggressive...  I am American and visually quite caucasian.  I enjoyed the War Museum and the "tour" of the Viet Cong tunnels.

The second visit was to Hanoi/Ha Long Bay.  I was accompanied by my Thai girlfriend so I didn't look for or find and nightlife at all.  The "tour" of Halong Bay was spoiled by the endless nickel-and-dime charges for everything imaginable.  Overall, I felt much more of a "targeted-ATM" than in Thailand.  

• Thanks 1