Best place to winter in Thailand with a beach?

YogaVeg

Hi, any advice on a good place to spend the winter would be greatly appreciated.

Here's what I would prefer:

-clean beach access

-not a party scene

-quiet at night

-budget

I'm into healthy living so a community with yoga and vegetarian options would be great, I don't do bars and I avoid drunk touristy areas.

I also like vibrant city living but a clean beach would be great too. So I'm thinking a beach town within a reasonable distance (serviced by rail preferably) of a cosmopolitan area.

I'd really appreciate your opinions, thanks!

5 hours ago, phuketrichard said:

winter time; nov- march, checkout some islands off of Trang, Satun

yes, or on the Ranong - Kao Lak Stretch

Prachuap Khiri Khan, (south of Hua Hin)

Chantaburi and surroundings

The coastal stretch from Trat to Cambodia

44 minutes ago, joecoolfrog said:

Prachuap khiri khan on the gulf coast south of Hua Hin. Cheap acommodation and food , lively night market and lovely beach @ Ao Manou. 

Totally agree.. my daughter and I had a great holiday down there a couple of years ago.. going south past lovely Ao Manou some nice fishing villages with good seafood restaurants.. and a good aquarium.. not much night life that we could see but not many ferang tourists.. not much to the north.. 

10 hours ago, Henryford said:

Bang saray, quiet but not far from Pattaya if you want the nightlife.

The beach there has had many problems  this year with pollution, also the new parking bays have taken away most of the beach. South Thailand offers the bedt beaches,  KoH  Samui  and Phuket have great beaches with quite ares yet nightlife etc if required in close proximity 

1 hour ago, baansgr said:

The beach there has had many problems  this year with pollution, also the new parking bays have taken away most of the beach. South Thailand offers the bedt beaches,  KoH  Samui  and Phuket have great beaches with quite ares yet nightlife etc if required in close proximity 

I haven't been there but comments on Rawai sound good.. any first hand experience?

1 hour ago, baansgr said:

Always found Southern Thailand a lot wetter than the East Coast in Winter. Hardly rains at all in Pattaya.

Southern Thailand, particularly the islands, much more expensive.

Like others has mentioned, take a look at Koh Samui and Koh Phangan, plenty of possibilities including vegetarian life-style and yoga, and no party life, if you choose the right area. At Samui you'll have the option of some town life for shopping, cinemas etc., at Koh Phangan you'll need to commute to Samui by boat/ferry (ca. 30 minutes).

Accessable by train from Bangkok to Surat Thani, and bus/ferry to the islands. The 6:30 pm or 7:30 pm sleeper from Bangkok is preferred by many, 2nd class sleeper is probably still around 800 baht. Before ticket could be bought including bus/ferry transfer from Surat Thani to either island, I don't know if that options is still available.

Link to State Railway of Thailand.

????

The north side of Koh Samui is nice and still close to every thing. Check out the Bophut & Mae Nam area. Beaches are clean. Choeng Mong area is ok too and only a 10 minute scooter ride to Chaweng or Bophut area.

Stayed Bophut many tines. Lovely unspoilt stretch of beach and very quiet with some fabulous beach restaurants.
Lots of yoga if you want too.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

2 hours ago, Jip99 said:

+1 .... if it is not too busy in high season.

+2...... I loved it and I am going back as I did not spend enough time on the lovely island.

I went in June. I took my son, who is in his mid-twenties and his mate came as well. Both had a great time. I went out of season and weather was up and down but I didn't care as I live in Isaarn and get plenty of sun year round.

It seems to tick all the boxes the OP wants and it's great value for money.

We stayed at Klong Prao beach and I would again.

Archived