'We fell in love' - Trump swoons over letters from North Korea's Kim

webfact

1 minute ago, bristolboy said:

And Kim has gotten the US to stop doing military exercies on the border. More importantly China and Russia have massively relaxed economic restrictions on the north. They have both cited Trump's remark that North Korea is no longer a threat. It's hard to justify continuing sanctions if you say that the target of them is no longer a threat and that the problem is solved. North Korea has already profited hugely from the "negotiations."

And you're wrong about the past. Several times progress was made, or rather apparent progress only to have it fall apart. Nothing that North Korea has done so far isn't easily reversible.

Name one POTUS that has met with the leader of NK since the end of the Korean conflict. I'll be waiting patiently. 

As far as "progress" being made, name one negotiation that led to NK denuclearization and normalization of relations with SK. Again, I will be waiting patiently.  

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, NaamGin said:

As far as "progress" being made, name one negotiation that led to NK denuclearization and normalization of relations with SK. Again, I will be waiting patiently.  

April 27th, 2018: North Korean leader Kim Jong Un met with South Korean President Moon Jae-in. It's the first time a member of the Kim dynasty has set foot on southern soil since the end of the Korean War in 1953 and the latest bid to settle the world's last Cold War standoff.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, attrayant said:

April 27th, 2018: North Korean leader Kim Jong Un met with South Korean President Moon Jae-in. It's the first time a member of the Kim dynasty has set foot on southern soil since the end of the Korean War in 1953 and the latest bid to settle the world's last Cold War standoff.

Thanks for making my point. This was a direct result the Trump administrations negotiations with Kim Jung Un. 

4 minutes ago, attrayant said:

There had been no negotiations with Trump prior to that meeting, unless you count name-calling on Twitter as a form of negotiating.  There had been some talks between the north and south earlier, in January and February.  Here's the timeline.  Clearly, things start happening in early 2018:

https://www.armscontrol.org/factsheets/dprkchron

Can you describe whatever negotiations you're referring to?  What agreements were reached as a result of your imagined negotiations?

Do you believe that no negotiations took place via back channels prior to these events taking place? 

https://www.businessinsider.com/north-korea-and-trump-administration-quietly-involved-in-back-channel-diplomacy-2017-8

Aug. 11, 2017, 10:56 AM
WASHINGTON (AP) — Beyond the bluster, the Trump administration has been quietly engaged in back channel diplomacy with North Korea for several months, addressing Americans imprisoned in the communist country and deteriorating relations between the long-time foes, The Associated Press has learned.

From the article you quoted:

In January 2018, another diplomatic effort began when North Korean leader Kim Jong Un declared the country's nuclear arsenal "complete" and offered to discuss with Seoul North Korea's participation in the South Korean Olympics.

In March 2018 Kim requests a Summit with the US to discuss normalization of relations and denuclearization of the Korean Peninsula.

After decades of isolationism, why would Kim all of a sudden end this era and extend an olive branch to SK? Simply because he announces that his nuclear program is complete, so now he wants to dismantle it? All of this happened in a vacuum, right?

If you attribute the NK / SK meetings to anything other than direct influence from the US, then there is no reason to continue this discussion.  You have your opinion and I have facts. 

8 minutes ago, NaamGin said:

I have facts. 

Why don't you present them?

8 minutes ago, NaamGin said:

After decades of isolationism, why would Kim all of a sudden end this era and extend an olive branch to SK? Simply because he announces that his nuclear program is complete, so now he wants to dismantle it? All of this happened in a vacuum, right?

After decades of isolationism, why would Kim all of a sudden end this era and extend an olive branch to the USA? Simply because he announces that his nuclear program is complete, so now he wants to dismantle it? All of this happened in a vacuum, right?

Edited by attrayant

2 minutes ago, attrayant said:

Why don't you present them?

What, you can't read?

Link to BusinessInsider provided in my previous reply which referenced the AP author on the topic. 

You want another 100 links, go run an internet search yourself. 

Look might as well accept N Korea IS a nuclear power with Donald’s trade war China has no incentive to put the breaks on Korea Donald has given Kim what he wants with stopping the military drills yup Kim succeeded with Donald’s help chalk up another Donald failure 

5 minutes ago, NaamGin said:

Link to BusinessInsider provided in my previous reply which referenced the AP author on the topic. 

"People familiar with the contacts say the interactions have done nothing thus far to quell tensions over North Korea's nuclear weapons and missile advances, which are now fueling fears of military confrontation."

"the interactions have done nothing"

"But they say the behind-the-scenes discussions could still be a foundation for more serious negotiation, including on North Korea's nuclear weapons, should President Donald Trump and North Korean leader Kim Jong Un put aside the bellicose rhetoric of recent days and endorse a dialogue."

"could still be"

The AP gave Trump the equivalent of a participation trophy.  Better luck next time, Donald.

Meanwhile, how are things progressing?  Trump blames stagnant North Korea talks on US-China trade war (that he started).

• Like 2

4 hours ago, webfact said:

And then we fell in love, okay? No, really - he wrote me beautiful letters, and they're great letters," he said.

Kim must have some Nigerian con artist writing 

these "love letters" for him, Trump you have been

conned.

regards Worgeordie

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, NaamGin said:

Name one POTUS that has met with the leader of NK since the end of the Korean conflict. I'll be waiting patiently. 

There's a good reason why no other US presidents have personally met with a Kim. A summit conference should be the culmination of negotiations. A reward for concrete progress. As it stands, Kim gained lots of prestige and got some tangible benefits as well. The so-called "agreement" that was signed at the end of the meeting stipulated nothing concrete at all about denuclearization. Not even a definition of what denuclearization means. And of course the Chinese and Russians used Trump's foolish statements about North Korea no longer being a threat and the problem being solved.

As for asking about negotiations leading to denuclearization here's a link:

https://www.armscontrol.org/factsheets/dprkchron

And if you note that ultimately those negotiations didn't succeed, what makes you think that these will? Are you a time traveler?

Edited by bristolboy
  • Like 1