2018 Honda CRV, second hand luxury, or ??

5 hours ago, HAKAPALITA said:

Nice Post. As for Left leg generally its the same in any make for anyone over Garden Gnome height. Try getting in after a Service here, if you dont look you whack you head on the roof the seats that far forward.

But I am sure they showed you how to adjust it back to your liking...????

3 hours ago, Rc2702 said:

Honda legend was a lovely motor

That name recalled a memory from the eighties. My 2nd X had a white convertible, cant recall driving it much, she always had the hood down i remember. Was very taken to its looks, and hers back then.????

On 10/6/2018 at 12:42 PM, Big Guns said:

Another option is the new Volvo XC40 which has just been launched at just over 2m for the 190 bhp version or 2.3m for the 250 bhp version. It gets great reviews in the UK.

I've ordered the R-Design. 2.39m is a fair whack but 252hp and 350nm is pretty good for a small SUV and it's chock loaded with tech. Can't wait for Jan 15 to come round.

Anyone who thinks it's overpriced I agree. But Equivalent UK specced one is in excess of 40k sterling so it's not as horrible as it has been in the past for so called "premium" cars. Looking forward to the horrible depreciation and outrageous cost for spare parts after yr 5!

• Like 1

On 10/10/2018 at 5:38 PM, ChesneyHawkes said:

I've ordered the R-Design. 2.39m is a fair whack but 252hp and 350nm is pretty good for a small SUV and it's chock loaded with tech. Can't wait for Jan 15 to come round.

Anyone who thinks it's overpriced I agree. But Equivalent UK specced one is in excess of 40k sterling so it's not as horrible as it has been in the past for so called "premium" cars. Looking forward to the horrible depreciation and outrageous cost for spare parts after yr 5!

Congrats. They told me March delivery a couple of weeks back when the launched it. It's a very good car. Already won a couple of prices in Europe. 

15 hours ago, Nickymaster said:

Congrats. They told me March delivery a couple of weeks back when the launched it. It's a very good car. Already won a couple of prices in Europe. 

I think all Q1 stock is booked out now. Only if you booked during the first two days of the launch could you get a Jan delivery date, white as usually was sold out first. the T4 Momentum trim won't arrive until Q2 at the earliest.

On 10/8/2018 at 7:39 AM, Jason Green said:

Wow, guys! Didn't check the post for a few days, and am overwhelmed with replied and info here! THANKS SO MUCH to everyone who responded! ???????? 

I am going to admit that after researching and reviewing and narrowing down my options... I did end up going with a new CRV 2.4 EL AWD! I was able to get it quickly because the dealer had it in stock. I wanted the Dark Olive Metallic that they show on the website, but had trouble tracking it down. I guess Honda stopped making them in that color, as it wasn't selling as well as the others. Which I find puzzling, the color is great! Looks very cool in the sunlight. The metallic aspect really shows with lots of metal flakes and color change. Here's a walk around video that a dealer did in USA, same car, same color. Except mine is the 2018. 

I will say so far that I have been really impressed with the CRV! Honda has really dialed it up a notch, this doesn't feel like what I would expect it to feel like. I have always kinda associated the CRV with being the "Civic version of an SUV," more utilitarian than luxury. But this latest generation of CRV is much more luxurious than I expected.

LIKES: Very smooth, quiet ride, plenty of pep, fair amount of technology on board. Loads of storage in back, and in center console. Looks sharp. AC system is strong, dual climate control is nice. Sound system sounds good. Apple Car Play works great with Maps (finally! It wasn't supported for the longest time in Thailand) and Siri. Power lift gate is very convenient. Rear AC vents are appreciated, thats usually a feature regulated to luxury cars.  USB ports for rear passengers are nice as well. There's a camera on the left driver mirror that is activated when you turn left, this is surprisingly convenient! Eliminates blindspot, and allows you to see any potential motorbikes. Multi-angle backup camera works well. Power seats in front are very adjustable. Built-in navigation uses Garmin technology and seems strong, but I prefer CarPlay for integration with the phone. HDMI in port seems like a nice touch, I guess that means I can connect my Nintendo Switch to the 7" internal LCD? 

DISLIKES: Bigger overall than expected. Front end is fairly large. Many features and options unavailable or missing, because... this is Thailand! All the luxury features of USA and EU usually get nixed for the stripped down Thai versions. In the CRV's case, options available in other countries include: sunroof, leather seats, heated seats (yes, its hot here, but they can still be nice for a sore back!), rain sensing wipers, auto parking assist, smart cruise control (radar-based following w distance monitoring), among others. I thought I'd want parking sensors, but backup camera works really well & pretty much eliminates the need for them in the back of the car. Still would be nice to have them in the front. Honda said they could install them for me if I wanted, said there's both 3rd party and Honda made versions. 

MAJOR COMPLAINT: I am guessing it's because I'm 180cm / 6ft tall, but my left knee comes in contact w the center column that the transmission is on when I'm driving. Didn't seem like a problem on the test drive or show room sits. But after 20 - 30 min or so, it really starts to aggravate me and cause pain. My knee comes in contact w the hard plastic console, not with the very minimal "pad" they put there for your leg. After a 5 hour drive back from Phayao, my knee HURT ???? No matter where I placed my leg, on the chincey pad, on the console, or hanging free, it was just never comfortable. I have purchased some different pads from USA, hopefully these will remedy the problem. I also went to the local motorcycle seat repair guy who is really good and does custom seats. He says he can fashion a custom pad for there, one that attaches to the existing one. Because honestly, this could be an actual deal breaker! If I cant be comfortable in the car, then I'm not sure what the point of owning it is! Unfortunately there seems to be a few CRV owners out there like me with the same exact problem.

I already thought if I had to sell it, i'd hold out for the new Accord. But guess what? Same exact problem! Check the attached photo from a recent review of the new Accord. Also attached a photo of the dreaded knee contact zone on the CRV. Any ideas or suggestions? Other than modding it with padding gel? Not sure what options I've got! I would be pretty bummed to have to sell my brand new Green beauty! ???? 

accord-18-knee-1.jpg

cr-v-design-dash-2x2.jpg

That's an informative post.

Did you know that honda will offer the 2.4 crv with 5 seats in November? Also, the olive colour is/will be dropped from the range. 

http://www.headlightmag.com/honda-cr-v-5-seats-thai-coming-soon/

Edited by DavisH

• 1 month later...

I just read this thread and also wanted to hear some more experiences about the new CRV 2.4 EL AWD. I've been looking at this car for quite some time and went to a few Honda dealers in BKK to see what kind of a deal I could get. I have a 2014 Honda CITY SV+ and was offered 480,000b for it so I'm kind of tempted to change while I can still get good money for it. I mostly just drive in BKK and hardly have more than 2 people in the car but I could really use the extra space in the CRV for transporting stuff. I'm really not sure if this makes much sense since the CRV would consume much more petrol and be bigger to handle in traffic. I considered the CX5 for a long time but it's really not that much bigger than my CITY and I'm not so sure about Mazda's service and resale value compared to Honda.

Anyway, I just took a very short test drive with the 2.4 EL AWD at the Thailand Motor Show last week (the short track had a 20km/h speed limit). Can't say much about that because couldn't even get on the road but at least it seemed fine. 

Then again a few days ago I booked a test drive at a Honda Dealer and they only had the diesel model for test drive. I have to say that was seriously terrible. I could never imagine driving that again. Much rather drive my Honda City. The 1.6 DTEC (this is the one that costs 1.699 million baht) had a really loud engine sound, vibration and a weird shaky start every time I accelerated. It felt smoother at higher speeds but wouldn't want to be stuck in traffic in that thing. Anyone else have this same experience with the diesel model? Of course I've never driven a diesel car before so it may be normal but really disturbing in my mind. Also the navigator seemed pretty poor (at least the look of the map and graphics). I really liked the comfy seats but to me the whole dashboard could look a lot better really. I mean it's acceptable but not much of an upgrade from the 2014 CITY.  

I've booked a test drive for the 2.4 EL AWD nest week so hope that would be a lot nicer. 

3 hours ago, ChomDo said:

I just read this thread and also wanted to hear some more experiences about the new CRV 2.4 EL AWD. I've been looking at this car for quite some time and went to a few Honda dealers in BKK to see what kind of a deal I could get. I have a 2014 Honda CITY SV+ and was offered 480,000b for it so I'm kind of tempted to change while I can still get good money for it. I mostly just drive in BKK and hardly have more than 2 people in the car but I could really use the extra space in the CRV for transporting stuff. I'm really not sure if this makes much sense since the CRV would consume much more petrol and be bigger to handle in traffic. I considered the CX5 for a long time but it's really not that much bigger than my CITY and I'm not so sure about Mazda's service and resale value compared to Honda.

Anyway, I just took a very short test drive with the 2.4 EL AWD at the Thailand Motor Show last week (the short track had a 20km/h speed limit). Can't say much about that because couldn't even get on the road but at least it seemed fine. 

Then again a few days ago I booked a test drive at a Honda Dealer and they only had the diesel model for test drive. I have to say that was seriously terrible. I could never imagine driving that again. Much rather drive my Honda City. The 1.6 DTEC (this is the one that costs 1.699 million baht) had a really loud engine sound, vibration and a weird shaky start every time I accelerated. It felt smoother at higher speeds but wouldn't want to be stuck in traffic in that thing. Anyone else have this same experience with the diesel model? Of course I've never driven a diesel car before so it may be normal but really disturbing in my mind. Also the navigator seemed pretty poor (at least the look of the map and graphics). I really liked the comfy seats but to me the whole dashboard could look a lot better really. I mean it's acceptable but not much of an upgrade from the 2014 CITY.  

I've booked a test drive for the 2.4 EL AWD nest week so hope that would be a lot nicer. 

Diesel needs 5 to 10 minutes to warm up, but drove diesel only in Europe. The CRV is a turbo, so there might be some step in power/rev graph. I have the 2.4 EL and I am delighted with. Dunno what AWD is needed for in Thailand? No snow and with water buffalos (and Thais) crossing without notice driving over 100km/h can hardly by safe.

15 hours ago, KiChakayan said:

Diesel needs 5 to 10 minutes to warm up, but drove diesel only in Europe. The CRV is a turbo, so there might be some step in power/rev graph. I have the 2.4 EL and I am delighted with. Dunno what AWD is needed for in Thailand? No snow and with water buffalos (and Thais) crossing without notice driving over 100km/h can hardly by safe.

Good to hear you've been delighted with your CRV. I have the test drive booked for tomorrow morning, so I'm excited to see how much nicer it will be to drive than the diesel. If it's really smooth and quiet compared to the diesel then I'm still considering changing from my Honda City. Besides the discomfort and sounds of the diesel model, I did also feel like the CRV is not that convenient for the traffic jams of Bangkok (of course it might be a lot better with the smoother petrol engine), but that's the obvious disadvantage of a bigger car of course. Even though I could use the extra space, I have to consider if it's a smart move to swap to a bigger car (I only drive outside Bangkok a few times a year).

You're right that there's really no need for the AWD, but it's just the other upgrades that come with it that interest me.

35 minutes ago, ChomDo said:

Good to hear you've been delighted with your CRV. I have the test drive booked for tomorrow morning, so I'm excited to see how much nicer it will be to drive than the diesel. If it's really smooth and quiet compared to the diesel then I'm still considering changing from my Honda City. Besides the discomfort and sounds of the diesel model, I did also feel like the CRV is not that convenient for the traffic jams of Bangkok (of course it might be a lot better with the smoother petrol engine), but that's the obvious disadvantage of a bigger car of course. Even though I could use the extra space, I have to consider if it's a smart move to swap to a bigger car (I only drive outside Bangkok a few times a year).

You're right that there's really no need for the AWD, but it's just the other upgrades that come with it that interest me.

Since you mention city driving I'll mention the only negative of the CRV AFAIK. I was used to left hand drive and therefore to look over my right shoulder while reversing, easy. On my right hand drive CRV I must use the rearview cam, hence I am going through a learning curve, now I am parking in 20 seconds instead of 10.

15 minutes ago, HAKAPALITA said:

I came from a 3rd World Nation too !!. Who was as the fool who decided LHD was right.? Even Yanks put RHD on 95 % on their Poweboats, so does Europe.

I'm afraid I think you can thank us Brits again for LHD, it stemmed from when we all rode horses instead of of driving cars. We found it easier to slay foreigners with the sword in our right hand if we rode on the left. ????

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, vogie said:

I'm afraid I think you can thank us Brits again for LHD, it stemmed from when we all rode horses instead of of driving cars. We found it easier to slay foreigners with the sword in our right hand if we rode on the left. ????

Ah so, it was Islamic Fundamentalists who approved it as safer. We only had Viking Ships with dual killing sides

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, ChomDo said:

You can get the 5 seat crv petrol now for 1.499M. You should also be able to get a discount from that also.

There is a big difference in fuel consumption between the 2.4 and 1.6 diesel in the crv. I've been collecting such data myself as I plan to buy a new car in the new year. I've found from the Thai media, the average diesel consumption is about 17 km/l vs 13 km/l for the petrol in similar driving conditions. One owner told me he gets about 15 km/l from mixed freeway and Bangkok driving for the diesel. But the cost propable evens out over time as the diesel is much more expensive in top spec. 

The new forester (albeit with the smaller 2.0 engine), will be made it Thailand. Top spec is  1.45M which has the new eyesight system.  This is a considerable drop in price over the old version. 

image.png.dd3c585853265f3541852e5b016d1474.png

• Like 1

18 hours ago, DavisH said:

You can get the 5 seat crv petrol now for 1.499M. You should also be able to get a discount from that also.

There is a big difference in fuel consumption between the 2.4 and 1.6 diesel in the crv. I've been collecting such data myself as I plan to buy a new car in the new year. I've found from the Thai media, the average diesel consumption is about 17 km/l vs 13 km/l for the petrol in similar driving conditions. One owner told me he gets about 15 km/l from mixed freeway and Bangkok driving for the diesel. But the cost propable evens out over time as the diesel is much more expensive in top spec. 

The new forester (albeit with the smaller 2.0 engine), will be made it Thailand. Top spec is  1.45M which has the new eyesight system.  This is a considerable drop in price over the old version. 

image.png.dd3c585853265f3541852e5b016d1474.png

I'm actually looking at the 5 seater only. The boot space is clearly bigger in the 5 seater so I'm more interested in that added space for stuff. The best deal I got so far was 1.45M with some basic additions (films, some Modulo gear etc.)

I know the fuel consumption difference is big between the 2.4 and the 1.6. That's one reason I'm hesitating changing my 1.5 City to a 2.4 CRV. The Honda dealer said you can save some cost by using E20, but still the difference to the 1.6 is big. Anyway after test driving the diesel, my only option now is the 2.4.  

I know the Subaru is a high-quality car, but just not so excited about the looks of it.   

2 hours ago, ChomDo said:

I'm actually looking at the 5 seater only. The boot space is clearly bigger in the 5 seater so I'm more interested in that added space for stuff. The best deal I got so far was 1.45M with some basic additions (films, some Modulo gear etc.)

I know the fuel consumption difference is big between the 2.4 and the 1.6. That's one reason I'm hesitating changing my 1.5 City to a 2.4 CRV. The Honda dealer said you can save some cost by using E20, but still the difference to the 1.6 is big. Anyway after test driving the diesel, my only option now is the 2.4.  

I know the Subaru is a high-quality car, but just not so excited about the looks of it.   

Was the diesel really that noisy? 

It was tester here: https://www.autoinfo.co.th/datron/601

It's slightly quieter than the 2.4 all speeds. Perhaps the car you drove hadn't warmed up properly? I've watched several reviews and the diesel does not seem excessively noisy. 

1 hour ago, HAKAPALITA said:

I get a bit miffed with ferangs and mpg, whats it matter to most, they only go to Big C once a month. i havent met a hi mileage ferang here in 25 years but know plenty with 10 year old vehicles hardly near 50 K.

I am driving about 12k to 13k a year, at 13.7 km/l thats about 900l of gazoline a year. E20 average price is about 25 THB/liter, a bit cheaper than diesel. So this costs me about 23000 THB a year, not a bit lot is it? On diesel I would be down to 17000/18000 a year, 5000 Bahts less. So, if I am not too wrong with my maths I would have to drive my CRV about 35 years to recoup the difference in purchase price. Now, my field isn't mechanics but I suspect that a 1500 turbo diesel may cost more than a 2400 gazoline engine. So why bother keep it simple and stupid TIT, never overestimate the locals.

Never realy looked, but isnt Benzine cheaper than Diesel. Ive been using E 85, or E20 for the last 6/7 years. i do about 30 K PM..  Im a bit sloppy to some. !Dont even know the exact price, just 1800 ish a fill, like exchange rates, what i cant alter  is not worth knowing about.

1 hour ago, HAKAPALITA said:

Never realy looked, but isnt Benzine cheaper than Diesel. Ive been using E 85, or E20 for the last 6/7 years. i do about 30 K PM..  Im a bit sloppy to some. !Dont even know the exact price, just 1800 ish a fill, like exchange rates, what i cant alter  is not worth knowing about.

Good grief ! what are you driving ??? I buy E85 and rarely pay over 750B to fill the tank on my Honda City.

58 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

Good grief ! what are you driving ??? I buy E85 and rarely pay over 750B to fill the tank on my Honda City.

BMW 3 M sport. E20 seems the best. Sorry dont even know how much it holds, just look that i get about 250/ 300 back from 2K , and 3 bottles of water from the working Kids n give em 50. Only good side of growing old. Use PTT Stations for the Green Tea from Amazon.. thats 95 Bht.!!... and important.

• Like 1

Just test drove the CRV 2.4 AWD today and what a difference. If I had driven only the diesel model I would never had looked at this car again but the petrol model was great. Very quiet engine sound, really smooth drive and comfortable. After this test drive I'm pretty much ready to buy it, just going to a few different dealers to see which one would give me the best deal.

I've also been watching all kinds of reviews and test drive videos of the two models (1.6 diesel and the 2.4 petrol) and didn't really see much complaints on the diesel, so I'm starting to wonder if the car I test drove had something wrong with it. I mean when I was driving in traffic it was especially terrible. Every time I let my foot off the brake it made a weird shake/vibration and a sound like a tractor (maybe slightly exaggerated but at least like a pick-up truck). Handling it was also difficult because of that. Also the constant sound and vibration from the engine was unpleasant. When I complemented the petrol model today, the seller said many people choose the petrol model for this reason. I said I couldn't believe the difference is that big. Anyway all good now and I'm really satisfied with the 2.4 ES AWD.

15 hours ago, ChomDo said:

Just test drove the CRV 2.4 AWD today and what a difference. If I had driven only the diesel model I would never had looked at this car again but the petrol model was great. Very quiet engine sound, really smooth drive and comfortable. After this test drive I'm pretty much ready to buy it, just going to a few different dealers to see which one would give me the best deal.

I've also been watching all kinds of reviews and test drive videos of the two models (1.6 diesel and the 2.4 petrol) and didn't really see much complaints on the diesel, so I'm starting to wonder if the car I test drove had something wrong with it. I mean when I was driving in traffic it was especially terrible. Every time I let my foot off the brake it made a weird shake/vibration and a sound like a tractor (maybe slightly exaggerated but at least like a pick-up truck). Handling it was also difficult because of that. Also the constant sound and vibration from the engine was unpleasant. When I complemented the petrol model today, the seller said many people choose the petrol model for this reason. I said I couldn't believe the difference is that big. Anyway all good now and I'm really satisfied with the 2.4 ES AWD.

The 5 seat petrol looks a good buy. Try also to haggle a discount. I know someone got a 45K discount and interest only 0.89% on the diesel version - maybe the diesel doesn't sell well so they are pushing that hard. I think you can never recover the costs of a diesel over a petrol anyway, unless you do 50K km or more a year. I'm interested in this same car, but I'm going to wait to see the specs of the new accord and it's price. Did you push the test car to high rpm? How was the cvt? I have a cvt in my swift and it doesn't like to be pushed hard. It's just noisy and doesn't go fast 55