Has the requirements for retirement visa changed

In the past I have lived in Thailand on a retirement visa, however I left Thailand to come home (Australia) for several years.  I am preparing to go back to Thailand.

Are the requirements for a Retirement Visa still:

1. Must be over 50 years old;

2. Enter Thailand with a Non-O visa (90 day stay);

3. Deposit 800K baht in a Thai Bank for two months (3 months in subsequent years);

4.  Apply at the local Immigration Office with proof of residence, pay the fee (1900 baht?), show bank statement of deposit period and pay for single/multiple re-entry permit.

Has it changed or have I missed something?  TIA

3 hours ago, lujanit said:

2. Enter Thailand with a Non-O visa (90 day stay);

You need, however, to be aware that it is, generally speaking, all but impossible to obtain such visas on the grounds of being aged 50 or over from Thai embassies and consulates in Western countries these days. If this is problematical in your case, you might, instead, wish to consider entering Thailand with either a 30-day visa exemption or 60-day tourist visa and, in tandem with your (3), then convert your entry to a 90-day non-O visa at your local immigration office before proceeding with an extension of stay application as per your (4).

Alternaitvely, you might wish to give consideration to obtaining a non-OA visa from the Royal Thai Embassy in Camberra instead. Detailed info in the following attachment:-

retirement-long-stay-visa-application-o-a-visa.pdf

Edited by OJAS
  • Like 2

Why not just get a one year multi-entry in Canberra based on retirement? We did it in London with no problems. Police report, health form, UK Bank statement with equiv. 800,000 in a UK bank. Subsequent years (2nd year we did it based on re-entry stamp), one year extension in Thailand; my wife based on 800K in Thai Bank for 3 months, and in my case, income certificate from British Embassy. So far, has all been pretty painless. Good luck.

As others have said get a 1 year retirement visa in Australia before you go to Thailand.  The money does not have to be in a Thai bank for this.  And then you will have to do the 1 year extensions in Thailand after that.  I also believe that since the visa is multiple entry you can leave and reenter Thailand a little before the visa expires and get a new date before you have to apply for the extension.

• Like 1

I'm also from Melb and got a Non O-A last year, through Sydney rather than Canberra. Canberra required notary bound docs and slightly more than Sydney. Sydney process was easier. I required an AFP Name Check Certificate, takes 15-20 business days, the Thai Medical Cert signed and stamped by your GP, an Australia bank account statement with min. equiv of 800k Thb, AUS$33k depending on exchange rate. Fee was AUD$275 for multiple entry 12 mth Non O-A visa, and processing time of 3-5 business days. Send Express or Reg post with insurance, and return post paid env. 

Your Non O-A is for 12mths, and if you depart Thailand and return a couple of days before visa expiry you will automatically have an additional 12 mths, so in affect you can get 2 years from original visa. With the additional one year you will need a re-entry visa before departing the country again, otherwise your visa will be cancelled. 1900thb for single or 3800thb for multiple entry.

If getting the 2yrs, by re-entering before your 12 mths expire you won't have to have min 800k Thb in a Thai bank account until 3 mths before your second year expires.. 

Thanks for the replies.  I must not have checked the Notify me of replies.

My previous non O-A was issued in Brisbane however they no longer do it.  What has changed is proof of money in the bank.  With my original Non O-A proof wasn't required.

10 minutes ago, lujanit said:

My previous non O-A was issued in Brisbane however they no longer do it.  What has changed is proof of money in the bank.  With my original Non O-A proof wasn't required.

You did not get a OA visa at honorary Thai consulate Brisbane since they cannot issue them. Only a embassy or official Thai consulate can accept the applications. 

I think you got a  single or multiple entry non-o visa.

On 10/1/2018 at 2:36 PM, OJAS said:

You need, however, to be aware that it is, generally speaking, all but impossible to obtain such visas on the grounds of being aged 50 or over from Thai embassies and consulates in Western countries these days.

Really? A strong statement.

I should have heard if they don't issue Non-O retirement in Germany e.g.

Impossible at the honorary consulates but straight and clear in Berlin, Frankfurt and Munich (Thai general consulates).

Edited by KhunBENQ

1 minute ago, KhunBENQ said:

I should have heard if they don't issue Non-O retirement in Germany e.g.

At one of the honorary consulate it is possible. But not at the embassy in Berlin or the official consulate in Frankfurt.

In the US and Australia it is not possible since the embassy told the honorary consulates not to issue them. In the UK if 65 or over and on a state pension is they will be issued.

4 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

At one of the honorary consulate it is possible. But not at the embassy in Berlin or the official consulate in Frankfurt. 

I had looked up the website of the Berlin general consulate and no change.

Non-O, over 50, financial proof etc. required as always been.

Non-OA with the usual higher hurdles (financials, health cert, criminal record etc.).

BTW: since a while there a new general consulate in Munich which is doing almost all stuff comparable to Frankfurt.

Edited by KhunBENQ

On 10/1/2018 at 11:24 AM, lujanit said:

Are the requirements for a Retirement Visa still:

There also can be some variations of requirements at some of the outlying Immigration Offices. So always best to double check the particular details for the specific Immigration Office you intend to apply at, and ensure they are following the norms.

But, the details posted above certainly pertain to BKK Immigration and the majority of other offices.

Also, you didn't mention the option for meeting the financial requirement via monthly income, which is good, since the requirements and documentation needed to prove that seem to be headed for possible changes at Immigration in the coming months.

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

That is a new one. But no website link for it here. http://www.thaiembassy.org/main/

I found two different links.

Both look like a bit of construction site, wrong/outdate text etc.

Seems they have no competent webadmin.

At least this contact information is consistent:

https://thaiconsulate.de/ติดต่อเรา-kontakt

I read some reports in a German forum.

Not praised. 2 to 3 days waiting time for visa.

Apply and pickup in person (no mailing), two trips.

No German speaking staff, unfriendly.

Edited by KhunBENQ

On 10/9/2018 at 2:23 PM, ubonjoe said:

You did not get a OA visa at honorary Thai consulate Brisbane since they cannot issue them. Only a embassy or official Thai consulate can accept the applications. 

I think you got a  single or multiple entry non-o visa.

You are correct.  I applied for an O-A yet the visa in my Passport is marked O.  I didn't notice until you pointed it out.