"Sack them!" PM's call to Big Joke in Chinese visa bribe scandal

webfact

Cost of living is increasing steadily in Thailand.  Inflation is very real, and the price for positions is not exempt, corruption is here to stay.   Call it endemic, ingrained, cultural, but it simply boils down to ROI 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, webfact said:

The PM also warned people against sharing damaging videos. 

Without clue is he not .. Almost a Canute type figure trying to hold back the digi world by issuing wishful warnings .. The tourist clouting at the airport could have been on the 'Net within seconds such is the power of the smart phone and there is nothing he or anyone here can do about it .. They need to get real to the world we live in now ..

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, webfact said:

Prime Minister Prayut Chan-ocha has demanded that Thai immigration end the culture of bribes for visas. 

It ain't bribes, the officials just borrowed the money from their arriving Chinese friends with the express intention to return it upon their departure, barring any unfortunate demise of course. Just like you friend and brother-in-arms Prawit. A precedent is a precedent, no way around it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, bluesofa said:

:cheesy:  :cheesy:  :cheesy: 

For some reason it reminds of the saying: The pot calling the kettle black.

If the tipping is so blatant, why do the people pay, there isn't enough seat on a aeroplane to return them all, its all just Asian culture.

Are charges still being made for "Certificate of Residency"?    It cost me 500baht a time a few years back, and when I asked about the free service, I was told that would not be available for one week.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

If you were to enforce the same thing into the police force, there would not be a force left. 

(except for the thousands in inactive posts.)

...and make sure the last one will lock the door properly. :cheesy::clap2:

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

"Sack them!"

Where have you been for the last four years while the corruption flourished?

Why are you speaking now?

Are you equally concerned when non-Chinese get forced to pay extra?

Breath-taking hypocrisy.

Of course,

It's do as I say not as I do.

Also, he wants to be seen, ridiculous as it sounds ( because he thinks we all believe him ), to be talking up anti-corruption rhetoric for the benefit of all, especially the Chinese; as he himself is jockeying for his position at the next election.

Another point, when they are comparing Chinese arrivals, why do they look at only last year and start screaming and panicking?

Don't they realize that figures like these need to be analyzed over a number of years to get an average, not just year on year?

They just expect the numbers to keep rising, how silly. Sometimes there could be economic problems or other reasons in their own country for not travelling as much or as often.

It certainly isn't because a security guard gave one loudmouth a slap!

1 hour ago, Scouse123 said:

Of course,

It's do as I say not as I do.

Also, he wants to be seen, ridiculous as it sounds ( because he thinks we all believe him ), to be talking up anti-corruption rhetoric for the benefit of all, especially the Chinese; as he himself is jockeying for his position at the next election.

Another point, when they are comparing Chinese arrivals, why do they look at only last year and start screaming and panicking?

Don't they realize that figures like these need to be analyzed over a number of years to get an average, not just year on year?

They just expect the numbers to keep rising, how silly. Sometimes there could be economic problems or other reasons in their own country for not travelling as much or as often.

It certainly isn't because a security guard gave one loudmouth a slap!

No, but it might possibly be because around 50 Chinese tourists who came for what they thought would be an enjoyable holiday, all went home in body bags, due to an avoidable boating accident.  Add to that the number being killed on the infamous Thai roads and you may come close to the real reason many Chinese are either cancelling their planned Thai holidays or going elsewhere. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Maybe he is telling him what to do to remind him that HE will be PM after the next election - not BJ

Same he did for koh Tao?

You don't have a dog and bark yourself. 

Actually, you don't have a dog with Chinese around. 

They will eat it.

Tourism and sports minister Weerasak Kowsurat intimated that the paying of bribes at the airport was ingrained behavior.

Some poster in another thread said it is utter rubbish when I mentioned that the IO pick and choose their victims. Those with ‘shaky’ credentials would have to fork out more (a thousand or two baht) instead of the typical 300 baht . 

Most white farang may not be aware of this but for us Asean citizens, it is common knowledge... 

• Thanks 2

9 hours ago, Ctkong said:

Tourism and sports minister Weerasak Kowsurat intimated that the paying of bribes at the airport was ingrained behavior. ... . Most white farang may not be aware of this but for us Asean citizens, it is common knowledge... .

Thanks for that. I'm Caucasian and I wasn't aware of it. Certainly, puts a different light on the "angry Chinese tourist" incident.

• Like 2

Good move Sir to sack "them"....but that would mean "them" ? "them" = a big portion of the Thai Police and a big portion of Thai Immigration Officials who racket and ask tourists (not only Chinese!) for bribes all over your lovely country, Sir.

So please start cleaning up all the corrupt immigration officials in Bangkok, Hua Hin, Pattaya and Phuket who racket expats, retirees on a daily basis, Sir with invented hassles and threats on visa issues.

With humble regards.

Another humble expat retiree farang.

• Thanks 1

Happens at every land border crossing too, and has done for years !!

When I first entered Thailand 10 years ago it was on a multi entry one year visa, obtained in my home country.

Once in Thailand I had to do a border run every 90 days to get my immigration stamp.

This was done via the crossing point at Aranyaprathet into Cambodia..

The fee for the Cambodian entry visa was 1,000 baht paid for at the office with the visa stuck into your passport, all with the assistance of a "middle man/helper" which was mandatory !!

As soon as you crossed the border gate into Cambodia you were met by a Thai immigration officer who took your passport and asked for 300 baht from everyone.

You then crossed the road and joined the queue to come back into Thailand and the immigration office to get your entry stamp !!

My only surprise is that in 10 years the price hasn't increased !!!!

So the question is, is BJ going to put a stop to this at every entry location or is it going to be just the high profile airports ??

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

Happens at every land border crossing too, and has done for years !!

When I first entered Thailand 10 years ago it was on a multi entry one year visa, obtained in my home country.

Once in Thailand I had to do a border run every 90 days to get my immigration stamp.

This was done via the crossing point at Aranyaprathet into Cambodia..

The fee for the Cambodian entry visa was 1,000 baht paid for at the office with the visa stuck into your passport, all with the assistance of a "middle man/helper" which was mandatory !!

As soon as you crossed the border gate into Cambodia you were met by a Thai immigration officer who took your passport and asked for 300 baht from everyone.

You then crossed the road and joined the queue to come back into Thailand and the immigration office to get your entry stamp !!

My only surprise is that in 10 years the price hasn't increased !!!!

So the question is, is BJ going to put a stop to this at every entry location or is it going to be just the high profile airports ??

"...high profile airports" - I would suspect. After corruption, the 2nd most important practice, in the Kingdom, is saving face. :thumbsup: 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, webfact said:

PM Prayut tried to put a positive spin on matters but admitted tourism was down. He said he wants to see sacking of corrupt staff.

This should make for quite a few job vacancies. 

It's wide spread we know.

In every aspect of the tourism $.

The Chinese come to Pattaya in their busloads and spend where they are told to spend.

Do not tip, because it goes to the group leader to distribute. 

Never happens.

Even Phuket airport. 

The taxi vans cannot pick up at the exit. 

They have to pay a tout to show a sign or flag on their behalf..

Bus from airport to Pattaya. 

Full, take next one.

Slip him 50 in the Palm of your hand, and you are on.

Just had a survey done on land in the village. 

Paid the Land Office and then paid the survey team to speed it up, plus providing lunch and drink.

It's not a tip for job done.

It's donation to actually get it done, on top of the fees.

We can all write a book on this feature of life in Thailand. 

So by sacking the immigration officers for takings bribes ( Thai way of life ) Prayut expects an increase in Chinese tourists coming here ?

If it becomes harder to get a visa or cut through the red tape Thailand will lose a lot of tourists and even long stay expats There are a lot of easier countries to go to and even live in without all this crap