Immigration Officers visited my apartment building, and my apt.

yes it certainly does sound like a scam, but that is how the thai immigration work. Unprofessional and no confidentiality or privacy with those clowns....You canbe sure that dozens of people have all of your personal information like address, phone number, passport details, salary/bank info, pictures of you, etc etc.

Last time I went to immigration, they recycled the photocopies of some nice filipino woman's visa extension application, complete with email/phone/home address/work address/passport details.......great if you wanted to stalk someone.

5 hours ago, inThailand said:

Isn't anyone offended about such an invasion of privacy at your own home?

It seems to be standard practice at least for extensions based on being married to a Thai. Ultimately, it just goes to show to what extent many expats are willing to bend over.

Yes, there can be legitimate reasons for a home visit, but a professional police force would focus their attention on a small number of suspicious cases instead of wasting their time on visiting all and sundry.

7 minutes ago, Caldera said:

It seems to be standard practice at least for extensions based on being married to a Thai. Ultimately, it just goes to show to what extent many expats are willing to bend over.

Yes, there can be legitimate reasons for a home visit, but a professional police force would focus their attention on a small number of suspicious cases instead of wasting their time on visiting all and sundry.

Must confess I didn't like a string of cops and immigration cops turning up at my door over an extension, at the time I was helping out out local police so was well known. Mrs.Trans even asked them why all the visits, they said we know "Trans" is OK but our boss has given us forms to fill out so we do as we are told.

But to be fair, it is their country and we know there is a lot of daft stuff to deal with but in our bigger picture it's just minor ..

16 hours ago, Suradit69 said:

Just about every country wants to attract visitors or long stayers who have money to spend. That doesn't mean every road sign or store label or immigration document has to be printed out in Chinese or Russian or Korean or German or whatever.

If you refuse to sign something  "because they have to transfer to English," everything won't grind to a halt for US because it would only be a matter of YOU being uncooperative, not the rest of US. But it could grind to a halt for you  if you want an extension or whatever.

People really need to get over the idea that Thailand needs to kiss your derriere because they get "money of us anyway," (whatever that means). You're spending money because you want a bed to sleep in or a beer to drink or someone who is way out of your league to spend the night with you. It isn't an unrestricted gift from you. I expect the country would manage to soldier on if you took your pittance elsewhere.

The sense of entitlement that some people carry around is sometimes ridiculous. And I imagine the majority of them would see things in an entirely different light if they were talking about foreigners who come to their home countries.

Post of the week IMO! Nicely said.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Suradit69 said:

And I imagine the majority of them would see things in an entirely different light if they were talking about foreigners who come to their home countries. 

Not this poster.  I have no issue with home-visits to verify info on foreigners in Thailand - provided it is being carried-out consistent with stated intents (i.e. those using agents are equally-likely to be visited). 

I only wish my country used any/all means to remove illegal-staying foreigners from my country and greatly restrict work-permit issuance - primarily so that more working-citizens could return to the middle-class.  At the same time, I am also critical of Western nations' denials-of-entry of those with valid visas - provided they are not overstaying, found to be working illegally, or a national-security threat.  Flight pre-clearance should handle this.

I do have an issue with "made up" and/or "unpublished" rules for foreigners in or entering Thailand, though.  Let's hope the new chief puts a stop to this - at both local-offices and entry-points.

22 hours ago, Suradit69 said:

but there have been several forms that one needs to sign that purportedly acknowledge that you are aware of rules, for example the consequences of overstay, that are only in Thai.

The versions of these 2 particular forms which I have been asked to sign at retirement extension of stay time at Rayong Immigration these past few years are identical to those in the attachments below - which, as you will see, are in both Thai and English:-

http://www.interprogram.ku.ac.th/newsite/images/form_acknow_con2stay_new.pdf

http://www.interprogram.ku.ac.th/newsite/images/overstay-page-004_Page_1.pdf

• Like 1

On 10/3/2018 at 8:57 PM, Moonlover said:

Thousands of expats sign forms in Thai in hundreds imm offices up and down the country almost daily (except weekends).

If we all demanded a translation every time the system would soon grind to a halt.

This is Thailand, just go with the flow.

I have never signed a Thai-only form at any immigration office. I wouldn't do that. If I can't read it or have it translated by someone I trust, I won't sign it. I agree with your "go with the flow" suggestion, but signing a form I can't read is taking it a step too far.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Suradit69 said:

Because all foreigners are English speakers?  

Forms that require you to fill in blanks do usually have English and Thai to indicate what information is required, but there have been several forms that one needs to sign that purportedly acknowledge that you are aware of rules, for example the consequences of overstay, that are only in Thai.

Pretty sure in most cases only the Thai versions of documents would be legally enforceable if it ever came to that.

I've never had to sign any Thai-only forms at immigration. I wonder if Thai versions are legally enforceable in court if the person who signed them can't read Thai? I think they probably are as it is the responsibility of the signatory to know what they are signing, so better you understand what you are signing before you sign. In a country where people are being scammed left, right and centre I'm surprised some people can be that naive. Most of us are aware that immigration officers are not beyond corruption.

What is so difficult about: "sorry officer, I would like to know what I'm signing before I sign". This hasn't been necessary for me in over 12 years of dealing with immigration here, but perhaps it's more common in remote area offices.

Edited by tropo

I also applied for the 90 day visa for the purpose of retirement.So basically I went through everything that you went through with one exception,  the officer asked me if I know a thai person for guarantee. They didn't tell me that over the phone, so I didn't have anyone available when they arrived  (so unprofessional ) but they were helpful. They went around the building asking people if anyone willing to sponsor /guarantee me lol,and they found some one to do it. No money was involved, and they told me that they have 4 more people to document for the rest of the day.looks like anyone applying for the 90 day visa will go through  what went through. 

Edited by motaz
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, motaz said:

I also applied for the 90 day visa for the purpose of retirement.So basically I went through everything that you went through with one exception,  the officer asked me if I know a thai person for guarantee. They didn't tell me that over the phone, so I didn't have anyone available when they arrived  (so unprofessional ) but they were helpful. They went around the building asking people if anyone willing to sponsor /guarantee me lol,and they found some one to do it. No money was involved, and they told me that they have 4 more people to document for the rest of the day.looks like anyone applying for the 90 day visa will go through  what went through. 

What's a 90 day retirement visa?  A person to guarantee?  What office did this take place at? 

90 day visa is a visa you need to get before you get your one year retirement visa.So in order to get a one year retirement visa you will need to  apply for a 90 day visa first and as soon as you get your 90 day visa ,you will be able to apply for a one year visa. A person to guarantee is any thai person with national ID card who will confirm that they know you .That person can be a thai friend or thai girlfriend.  The office is Chang watana bangkok. 

On 10/4/2018 at 9:13 AM, prakhonchai nick said:

How many Thai people need to do business at Immigration offices?  Most surely are foreigners, and it would appear totally stupid for forms, notices of opening etc to be all in Thai.

The people who run it are Thai, not their fault you do not read Thai

• Like 1

On 10/3/2018 at 8:00 PM, NancyL said:

...Never a good idea to sign a form that's presented in a language you can't read. You should have asked to have time to get it translated and ask where to bring it later -- ie. gotten their business cards. Then go to see a visa agent or lawyer.

On 10/4/2018 at 8:08 AM, Banana7 said:

In situations that seem odd or extraordinary, whenever an official officer asks to see your Id, passport, or to sign documents, ask to see their Id, and take a photo of them, their Id and the documents with your cell phone, and also ask to see their badge and business card. Also ask for their reasons for the request, what is their office address, and their department or division. If they object to your photos, tell them you want to seek legal council before complying because you unaware of these requirements.

* Good sound advice *

The OP situation sounds like it could be a legit visit, but needing to taking precautions is unfortunately the world we live in, to think otherwise is allowing yourself to become a victim, not something I would do.

If someone calls me from any agency/bank, etc.  I simply get their name, I look up the number to the place they claim to work at, call that number and ask to speak with that person.   

If someone rolls up on me in the street or especially at my home and don't show me ID, yep I get suspicious.  Most professional people would not do it that way and they would have no problem with me taking their photo or seeing their ID.  

The police came to our village to check Visa paperwork etc. There’s only two in our area. I wasn’t home and was told to go to police station next day, no biggie just doing their jobs. Routine check. 

I don’t mind going to immigration office in Udon Thani Staff are pleasant and not a problem. They all have guidelines to follow and maybe some the manager put their twist on but nothing to complain about. The easy road is easy until you a stink about every 

little thing 

On 10/4/2018 at 9:35 PM, balo said:

I would deny anyone to invade my property without a warrant. 

I  would also ask them to meet at immigration office first , to make sure they are real officers. 

If you did that, your next application for extension, might be turned down.

• Haha 1

On 10/3/2018 at 7:30 PM, Sheryl said:

Imm offices have come under some pressure to keep tabs on/know where the foreigners in their area of responsibility live.

Home visits have been the norm for extensions based on marriage for a while. Not as common for retirement but does happen, especially for initial extension.

Don't worry about it.  They just need to have documentation to show that they did their due diligence.

I've never heard about them doing this for tourist visas though. Is this something they do only for marriage and retirement?

On 10/3/2018 at 7:30 PM, Sheryl said:

Imm offices have come under some pressure to keep tabs on/know where the foreigners in their area of responsibility live.

Home visits have been the norm for extensions based on marriage for a while. Not as common for retirement but does happen, especially for initial extension.

Don't worry about it.  They just need to have documentation to show that they did their due diligence.

Home visits have NOT been the norm in my experience. Only after the 1st application have the Chiang Mai team visited me at home. The next 8 renewal applications have not warranted a home visit. There would seem to be no clear cut rules here.

I had a home visit when I moved to this province ( Ayutthaya ) just over a year ago and had another after my first extension for retirement.

They booked a date and time during my extension process and called twice to change the time . Took the usual photo with house number and asked me to sign a form in Thai , I gave it to my gf and she said it was a form stating they were making a house visit to check on foreigners immigration status.
There was a space for about 10 names, I signed, first name on the paper.

Asked for passport and bank book, checked bank book seasoning date and left.

Not too painful, took about 5 minutes, same IO’s as last time.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/3/2018 at 8:57 PM, Moonlover said:

Thousands of expats sign forms in Thai in hundreds imm offices up and down the country almost daily (except weekends).

If we all demanded a translation every time the system would soon grind to a halt.

This is Thailand, just go with the flow.

In all the years I have been here I have never and would never sign a form I could not read without an English translation.