Immigration Officers visited my apartment building, and my apt.

Thanks for that Sheryl.

That's what it seemed like at the time. Nice ladies, we chatted as much as my Thai allowed. It was like getting pulled over for extra inspection at the airport.

But then I started to worry. Should I prepare for a shake down? 

Now I know it's ok.

????

• Like 1

BKK (Yanawa). Yes it was lame of me. No business card even. My GF says I should get a copy of the building’s security camera recording. And you are correct, never sign something you can’t read, I should’ve gotten a translation, at least a photo form my phone! It all seemed so normal - that’s exactly how con-artists get you. But after all I think it’s all legit.  

I offered my bank info and she refused it, so that's a good sign. ????

4 hours ago, Moonlover said:

If we all demanded a translation every time the system would soon grind to a halt. 

The forms I fill out are all in English.

It would be foolish for immigration to print their forms in Thai only for obvious reasons.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Moonlover said:

Thousands of expats sign forms in Thai in hundreds imm offices up and down the country almost daily (except weekends).

If we all demanded a translation every time the system would soon grind to a halt.

This is Thailand, just go with the flow.

7 hours ago, ukrules said:

The forms I fill out are all in English.

It would be foolish for immigration to print their forms in Thai only for obvious reasons.

My comment was about signing forms, not completing them. For instance, when applying for a marriage extension, the applicant has to sign a declaration. That form is in Thai only. 

• Like 2

Did you apply in-person for the extension, or use an agent? 

While the Bangkok office would have no motive to block the extra-income from non-Bangkok resident agent-applicants, they may object to non-local applicants using their office in-person, as that circumvents agent-money for everyone in the chain.  Therefore, it would be logical if the bosses are ordering visits of in-person applicants.

By checking only user-submitted cases, they could craft a sample which assures results indicating they are primarily processing applications for those in their coverage-area, while simultaneously weeding out non-local applicants who are avoiding agents.

When I was considering moving to Bangkok, to allow me to obtain a Non-O stamp and Marriage-based visa (unavailable in-person where I lived at the time), I planned to stay in a Bangkok-apartment for the duration of the process.  It appears this will be a necessary step for those served by dishonest offices, if they wish to apply in-person.

12 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

There is a new boss at immigration ...

If he forces all local-offices to follow the written-requirements for in-person applicants (including Non-O stamps) - and only the written requirements - as is reported by applicants using Chang Wattana - he should receive a medal. 

Edited by JackThompson

17 hours ago, Moonlover said:

Thousands of expats sign forms in Thai in hundreds imm offices up and down the country almost daily (except weekends).

This is Thailand, just go with the flow.

What forms are you referring to? I've never seen an Immigration application form only in Thai.

So random checks by immigration, checking and rechecking facts, with the assumption that a retired person is hiding what?  Moved somewhere else and didn't report like a good ol' boy?  The very reason I changed from a marriage to retirement extension was to avoid immigration's annual visit where I have to point to my clothes and  my wife and I have to sit on the bed for the sick entertainment of some immigration big shot.

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

There is a new boss at immigration and there have been ongoing issues of people falsely claiming to live in Bangkok in order to change visa status for extensions of stay and this proves you are not one of them so expect it is indeed legit and nothing to worry about. 

Believe all should be doubly advised to avoid using any gray methods or visa agents that might be using them. 

I still don't think anybody should sign anything they do not understand, if the system grinds to a halt because they have to transfer to English, that's their fault, they get more than enough money of us anyway.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

I still say it is pure stupidity to put your'e signature on something in a foreign language you do not understand.

When signing a document I don't understand, I add a note saying that I don't understand the document.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, prakhonchai nick said:

How many Thai people need to do business at Immigration offices?  Most surely are foreigners, and it would appear totally stupid for forms, notices of opening etc to be all in Thai.

So that maybe the Immigration officers can understand what was being written? Forms should be in dual languages. Thai and mother tongue of the applicants... like those electrical appliances user manual. 

1) never sign anything you do not understand. Having said that, most likely it was one of these endlessly useless forms again, possibly TM. 987654321

2) it clearly shows, that the immigration has quite obviously got its priorities wrong. Instead of clearing up the mess in all those airports with endless queues in front of grouchy officers they have nothing better to do but to do verification visits with retirees? The mind boggles.
3) never have such visits without a letter (in English) with the Garuda letterhead indicating who wants what from who, signed and named, below left there is usually a phone number. Nothing wrong in asking for the instruction letter and calling the number. Not to verify the letter but if they start getting phone calls over phone calls they might reason (or, most likely not)! 

always take a picture of anything in thai on your phone. you will have it to show a lawyer later if needed. if your under duress you can note that in english when you sign. you could also note that you don't read thai when you sign i suppose, but ive never heard of that being done.

Edited by Dick Crank

I would deny anyone to invade my property without a warrant. 

I  would also ask them to meet at immigration office first , to make sure they are real officers. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1