Thaksin's Wife Guilty Of Tax Evasion

george

We're in the heart of a reasonably big city and are constantly asked for loans by employees, their sons, daughters, asking us to buy them a washing machine, air-con. :D They carry one or two of the latest cell phone, have all the little coloured nuts and bolts on the motosai along with the other usual childish and unecessary modifications, wear gold chains, useless stuff that seems to have more priority than the basic needs.

Small loans (without interest) have stopped some time ago as well, except for a very few hard working, honest and punctual employees . Too much bullsh!t and hassles. Those who have been refused loans or slacked have been talking in our backs or spreading rumours that we're about to shut down or bankrupt. :o One has even pretended for months that she had cancer, the loan wasn't buying medication but perfumes, gold, junk, when months ago, she lived in a <deleted>' bamboo hut sitting over water infested with rats, snakes and reeked of human waste.

Little children.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hiya, John K., Ricardo, T.C. and others raising the debt situation.

This debate is really developing into an interesting one regarding people going deeper into debt and why.

I read an interesting article on the SML,s under the last administration and a different perspective relating to a more beneficial alternatives regarding self sufficiancy.

As this is possibly going off topic, with your anticipated permission, ( hopefully ) i have started a new thread to enable expansion and views on this important subject.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?sh...p;#entry1224595

marshbags :o

Edited by marshbags

Charges fail to rock ex-Thai PM's hometown support

Despite bringing criminal tax evasion charges against his family, Thailand's generals do not appear to be convincing ousted Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra's hometown backers he is a crook.

"I feel sorry for him. He was ousted in a coup and accused of cheating the country and there's no truth in it," said Chei Taepin, a 75-year-old noodle soup vendor who said he knew Thaksin, 57, when he was at primary school in San Khamphaeng.

Chei, like others, reckons the charges brought against Thaksin's wife and her brother this week are a proxy case against the charismatic billionaire who won two landslide elections on the back of massive support in the rural heartlands.

"They are afraid of him returning to politics. They can't defeat him politically, so they have to come up with all sorts of allegations," said Chei, who hangs a huge campaign poster of Thaksin wearing an outfit worn for royal functions in his shop.

The military moved in last September 19, accusing Thaksin of presiding over rampant corruption, abuse of power and cronyism, charges he denies.

A military-appointed panel is probing more than a dozen cases of alleged wrongdoing during Thaksin's five years in office and the tax evasion charges are the first to reach court.

But people in San Khamphaeng, a small handicraft town on the outskirts of the northern tourism center of Chiang Mai, still back Thaksin for policies branded by his critics as populist and aimed at keeping the poor and rural voters happy.

"JEALOUSY"

In Chiang Mai, Thailand's second city, people remember Thaksin for large highways, massive government offices and a flower fair which drew almost four million people to the province earlier this year.

"Thaksin is a modern man who got things done very quickly," said Chaba Nosuya, a 34-year-old teacher at a government school.

"His only mistake was being too confident in what he did, which brought jealousy from rivals," she said.

Other programs like cheap health care, annual grants to villages and a two-year war on drugs in which more than 2,000 people were killed keep feelings for Thaksin warm.

"People are grateful to Thaksin," said Supatra Kittawong, a retired teacher and now chairwoman of a million-baht ($28,500) village fund.

"People don't care what Thaksin has done wrong. It is his personal business," Supatra said.

The village funds, which critics alleged were spent on luxuries like motorcycles and mobile phones, had created jobs in her area, Supatra said.

Borrowers invested the money in goods sold at the weekend market in the town, she said.

But Supatra said there were fears the interim government would scrap such projects initiated by Thaksin as economic growth slowed amid political uncertainty.

"We will just have to wait and see what the government will do with the SML Fund," said Supatra referring to the annual grant given to villages in accordance with their population size to use as the communities sees fit.

Source: Reuters - 30 March 2007

Charges fail to rock ex-Thai PM's hometown support

Despite bringing criminal tax evasion charges against his family, Thailand's generals do not appear to be convincing ousted Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra's hometown backers he is a crook.

"I feel sorry for him. He was ousted in a coup and accused of cheating the country and there's no truth in it," said Chei Taepin, a 75-year-old noodle soup vendor who said he knew Thaksin, 57, when he was at primary school in San Khamphaeng.

Chei, like others, reckons the charges brought against Thaksin's wife and her brother this week are a proxy case against the charismatic billionaire who won two landslide elections on the back of massive support in the rural heartlands.

"They are afraid of him returning to politics. They can't defeat him politically, so they have to come up with all sorts of allegations," said Chei, who hangs a huge campaign poster of Thaksin wearing an outfit worn for royal functions in his shop.

The military moved in last September 19, accusing Thaksin of presiding over rampant corruption, abuse of power and cronyism, charges he denies.

A military-appointed panel is probing more than a dozen cases of alleged wrongdoing during Thaksin's five years in office and the tax evasion charges are the first to reach court.

But people in San Khamphaeng, a small handicraft town on the outskirts of the northern tourism center of Chiang Mai, still back Thaksin for policies branded by his critics as populist and aimed at keeping the poor and rural voters happy.

"JEALOUSY"

In Chiang Mai, Thailand's second city, people remember Thaksin for large highways, massive government offices and a flower fair which drew almost four million people to the province earlier this year.

"Thaksin is a modern man who got things done very quickly," said Chaba Nosuya, a 34-year-old teacher at a government school.

"His only mistake was being too confident in what he did, which brought jealousy from rivals," she said.

Other programs like cheap health care, annual grants to villages and a two-year war on drugs in which more than 2,000 people were killed keep feelings for Thaksin warm.

"People are grateful to Thaksin," said Supatra Kittawong, a retired teacher and now chairwoman of a million-baht ($28,500) village fund.

"People don't care what Thaksin has done wrong. It is his personal business," Supatra said.

The village funds, which critics alleged were spent on luxuries like motorcycles and mobile phones, had created jobs in her area, Supatra said.

Alleged :D

Borrowers invested the money in goods sold at the weekend market in the town, she said. :D

But Supatra said there were fears the interim government would scrap such projects initiated by Thaksin as economic growth slowed amid political uncertainty.

"We will just have to wait and see what the government will do with the SML Fund," said Supatra referring to the annual grant given to villages in accordance with their population size to use as the communities sees fit.

Source: Reuters - 30 March 2007

Herein lies the problem.

I,d be interested to hear from those living in the Chang Mai area what their observations are on this collection of selected citizens who voice the wonders of their Ex leader / now in exile

Predictable stuff by my reckoning.

The Bold quote i,ve highlighted says it all,

Cheap health care they hyjacked from medical academics and used it as a political electioneering bribe.

Annual grants syphoned off to pay local PooNam and the immediate supporters for the help in telling / ordering the local communities who they Must vote for.

The remaining scraps then spread with abandon among the voters. :D:D:bah: they all go..........

The last part but for me the most important.

The flippant remarks regarding the victims of the drug war Extra Judicial Killing is beyond human comprehension for it,s display of complacency and insensitivity, it,s very sad and sickening IMHO.

The interviewees and their like will probably stay in denial forever while their local boy done good..but turned bad, will afford a wry smile in his run down 400,000,000 baht slum in the U.K.

While the really deserved and needy who put their faith in him get further engrained in poverty and inescapable debt burden.

These are the real sufferers in this ongoing saga

How my heart bleeds for him :o ..............................................Like f*** it does

marshbags

Edited by marshbags

I recon only 10% of TRT votes were from really loyal supporters who believed in Thaksin and his idea no matter what, and hometowns are always politicians strongholds.

Feelings of the few selected Chiang Mai individuals in no way reflect the rest of the country. Even in Chiang Mai loyalty to Thaksin is not unanimous, there are rival, well established clans in the city with their own supporters.

But yeah, I guess the manager of a one million baht fund would be grateful to Thaksin for her job.

Why didn't they interview people who protested against the flora show, or street vendors who were denied a chance to sell anything to the show visitors.

A more credible witness I couldn't imagine. :o:D :D

A more credible witness I couldn't imagine. :o:D :D

18 years difference between the two of them and they were both at the same primary school? :D

Unless he was selling noodles back then to a younger Thaksin who would only have enough of 2 baht back then to satisfy his hunger instead of billions.

"He was such a cute kid. His head was square even then, but he was still cute."

baby_thaksin_1.jpg

"He was such a cute kid. His head was square even then, but he was still cute."

baby_thaksin_1.jpg

Certainly wasnt last in the queue when it came to giving out ears.

Spot the similarities?

post-15680-1175801529_thumb.jpg