Pattaya’s garbage crisis floods city

Rimmer

Pattaya’s garbage crisis floods city

image.png

PATTAYA:--Pattaya’s garbage crisis is never more evident than when it rains.

Throughout the city, plastic bags, foam containers, paper and bottles wash down and block sewers, preventing storm runoff from draining and exacerbating Pattaya’s already endemic flooding.

Residents on Soi Khao Noi, one of the hardest-hit areas, are sick of it.

Lukana Kerdjan said Pattaya must do a better job of picking up trash on time and campaign more to get residents to dispose of their waste correctly and stop littering.

But the city has garbage problems of its own, with overflowing dumps and few landfills left available. Garbage now regularly piles up on roadsides and neighbors around the overloaded trash-transfer stations erupt in protest.

Garbage, now more than flooding, is Pattaya’s No. 1 problem.

pattaya_mail_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Pattaya Mail 2018-10-05

1 hour ago, pieeyed said:

Build a modern incinerator. Turn the garbage into power.

That would make way too much sense.Theres an abandoned one on Samui that was never in operation because the allotted operation funds went missing?? TIT

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Banana7 said:

It's no wonder why there is lots of trash in the streets. The only road that seems to have public trash cans is Beach road. There are no public trash cans on Third Road, Soi Buakhou, North Road, Central Road, South Road. Public trash cans need to be on every heavily traveled street and near most 7/11 and Family Mart stores. Public trash cans need to be emptied frequently, before they start overflowing.

Nobody wants to live in a trash dump but also nobody wants to carry used/empty wrappers, bowls, or containers.

They don,t have trash cans as they would get `nicked..........:sad:

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Join the Club Pattaya, Koh Samui is slowly sinking under a mountain of trash and the local authority are not doing anything about it.  Once the Tourists stop comming they will leap in to action................too late!  Bye, bye tourists, bye, bye bahts!

9 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

True. When I lived in Bangkok we had our rubbish bin chained to an electric wires post.

When in waste industry in Australia all kerbside waste bin were chained to post with a one key fits all locks, but that far too hard for Thais to think that far ahead just throw on ground that's the easy way then when Soi Khao Noi gets banked up at the grids near railway bypass road we go clean see no ploblem all rubbish in one place good thinking 99 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, robertson468 said:

Join the Club Pattaya, Koh Samui is slowly sinking under a mountain of trash and the local authority are not doing anything about it.  Once the Tourists stop comming they will leap in to action................too late!  Bye, bye tourists, bye, bye bahts!

Tourism minister should work with the municipal officers of those touristic places to tackle the gigantic garbage disposal problem . Tourism is his rice bowl after all...

47 minutes ago, a977 said:

When in waste industry in Australia all kerbside waste bin were chained to post with a one key fits all locks, but that far too hard for Thais to think that far ahead just throw on ground that's the easy way then when Soi Khao Noi gets banked up at the grids near railway bypass road we go clean see no ploblem all rubbish in one place good thinking 99 

One cut with a 4 footer container lock cutter would cut all chains. Australian vandals not as determined as career thai thieves. 

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, rosst said:

As it is the biggest problem in Pattaya, perhaps the new Mayor will attend to it as a priority. 

Sarcasm button pressed to oblivion 

Also maybe! the new mayor will get around to tendering out the garbage collection service which has now been overdue by 12 months or is the brown envelope too fat? Somebody is definitely in somebodies pocket on this one.

• Like 1

Thais don't care , its their way of life, let the trash rot or lets burn it a couple of times per year.  A big fire to pollute the air. Ma pen rai. 

• Haha 1

When I travel outside Thailand 4 out of 5 people that I talk with about Thailand who say they have visited the country mention Pattaya as the location they are familiar with. So Pattaya is the location that projects the image of Thailand to a large percentage of people who travel from around the world. Guess this may slow down the tourist if the trash and pollution continues.

I was born in 57.  I remember as a kid the anti litter TV commercials that were shown in the USA, especially the one showing a native American Indian weeping as the background showed rivers clogged with trash, grassy fields completely covered in trash.  I was a boy scout and took anti littering to heart and still do.  Always very frustrating when in Thailand and watching the Thais and foreigners walking down the street and just pitching their cigarette butts down a grate or paper into the street.  And as others have posted there are no or few trash cans available on the streets, except near some 7-11s and Family marts.  The mentality is just poor

• Like 1

Pass a new littering law. $100 FINE

Turn the video cameras on. Detect whoever litters with face-recognition. Record it. Identify the violators.

Hand flyers to arriving tourists notifying them of the new littering law.

Charge $100 for EACH violation and remind them their next would cost them $300

Tourists-Collect the fines before boarding their flight back home

Residents-Send the video to their smartphones and invite them in City Hall to pay $100

Allocate the collected money to improvements, trash collection, facilities and new systems.

And with less littering in the future, all will enjoy the rain and these endemic floods should be a thing of the past.

Edited by pattayadude

4 hours ago, pattayadude said:

Pass a new littering law. $100 FINE

I don't think Thais want to pay any fines in US dollars. 

Anyway this is a poor country and I would think even 1000 baht would hit some families hard on the budget. 

12 hours ago, balo said:

I don't think Thais want to pay any fines in US dollars. 

Anyway this is a poor country and I would think even 1000 baht would hit some families hard on the budget. 

"$" or THB isn't too important here.I get your point.Let's make 3000  the amount of fine in Thai baht.

Flooding is a health hazard especially if it's in metropolitan areas where sewage is mixed with rain water. People are exposed to various  bacteria when they are stuck in knee-high flood water only because a small percentage of ignorant people are so inconsiderate to litter in streets and clogging drains as a result.

3000 may be hard on some Thais but a payment plan could be arranged for the poor and will be an unforgettable "lesson-learned".

And $100 is nothing for the shameless tourist who litters, an act he probably wouldn't dare back home.

Edited by pattayadude