Has Samui Gone To The "dogs"?

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After a 3 month absence, I see Samui going down hill fast, getting worse all around! If you agree or not, please put your views down here.

Could you explain your views in a little more detail, your post is a bit of a broad brush. It might be easier for us to comment then. Thanks.

After a 3 month absence, I see Samui going down hill fast, getting worse all around! If you agree or not, please put your views down here.

Could you explain your views in a little more detail, your post is a bit of a broad brush. It might be easier for us to comment then. Thanks.

It's meant to be a broad brush , like the amount of vehicles on Island getting out of hand, the roads, the amount of tourists/packpackers, etc. In other words, DO YOU FEEL IT'S GETTING WORSE HERE? AS :whistling:OPPOSED TO BEFORE? :o

Edited by SamuiJens

There are more vehicles and tourists on the island, and more buildings than say, 5 years ago. In spite of this, in my opinion it still remains a beautiful tropical island. It just depends on your point of view. Some see more trafic and people as 'going downhill', others simply see it as 'just more busy.'

Trafic, more tourists and more buildings do not erode the core values of the island. At least not for me anyway. I think its lovely and enjoy the island when i am there.

Just me 2 bahts.

It's meant to be a broad brush , like the amount of vehicles on Island getting out of hand, the roads, the amount of tourists/packpackers, etc. In other words, DO YOU FEEL IT'S GETTING WORSE HERE? AS :whistling:OPPOSED TO BEFORE? :o

ha

Well then, since you are painting with such a broad brush, the answer would be a very arbitrary yes and no. Is traffic, amount of tourists, etc., worse than 5 years ago? Yes. Are medical facilities, shopping outlets, and entertainment possibilities better than 5 years ago? IMO, yes. Samui is developing, with development comes the benefits and the problems. BTW, no need to shout at me in your response, I was politely asking for clarifacation.

In my humble Opinion..As one who found Samui over 20 years ago..

She has been pillaged, raped and plundered and turned into just another

ugly tourist trap...

The roads are disgusting, the terrible stench of sewage when it rains and floods.

The only pristine bit left is between Nathon and Lamai but the New Jail is the

start of the ruination of that last bit..

LBD - thats not an entirely fair way of looking at it. The people that came here 20 years ago are in a huge minority. Virtualy non existent to be fair. I would guess that most people who are in a position to answer the OP's question have been here for an average of, i dunno... 3-6 years?

So the question realy is; has the island gone downhill since the millenium?

Again, the notion of more trafic, people, buildings as a huge negative is a personal thought. For me, i couldnt care less about more Toyota Hilux's and more townhouses on the ringroad. Whatever. Samui, for me, ticks all of the right boxes;

Can i chill on the beach with a beer? Yes.

Can i eat at nice resteraunts? Yes.

Can i have a crack in the bars? Yes.

Can i rent a lovely little house away from it all for 10-15K month? Yes.

Owing to more trafic, buildings and people, would the above four count for nothing? No.

>>She has been pillaged, raped and plundered and turned into just another

ugly tourist trap...

Bit of a Koh Sarn Road hippie opinion that, if you will forgive me for saying. Its not rape, its just simple progression. Do you have the same feeling about Bangkok? After all, its only recently become the capital of Thailand. Whilst Ayutayah was capital, Bangkok was just a simple port town. The skyscrapers, shopping centers and commercial centers of BKK have been built as a result of rape and pillage?

Thailand has seen massive economic growth over the last 20 years. If it was not for this growth, maybe Samui would never have materialised in the current form we know of today.

With that in mind the question could also be; has Thailand gone downhill over the years? No - it has just progressed and evolved.

Samui is a cracking little island. Who cares about a little more trafic, a few more tourists and a few bad roads?

Take a chill pill, and enjoy the place.

LBD - thats not an entirely fair way of looking at it. The people that came here 20 years ago are in a huge minority. Virtualy non existent to be fair. I would guess that most people who are in a position to answer the OP's question have been here for an average of, i dunno... 3-6 years?

Again, the notion of more trafic, people, buildings as a huge negative is a personal thought. For me, i couldnt care less about more Toyota Hilux's and more townhouses on the ringroad. Whatever. Samui, for me, ticks all of the right boxes;

Owing to more trafic, buildings and people, would the above four count for nothing? No.

ugly tourist trap...

Bit of a Koh Sarn Road hippie opinion that, if you will forgive me for saying. Its not rape, its just simple progression. Do you have the same feeling about Bangkok? After all, its only recently become the capital of Thailand. Whilst Ayutayah was capital, Bangkok was just a simple port town. The skyscrapers, shopping centers and commercial centers of BKK have been built as a result of rape and pillage?

Thailand has seen massive economic growth over the last 20 years. If it was not for this growth, maybe Samui would never have materialised in the current form we know of today.

With that in mind the question could also be; has Thailand gone downhill over the years? No - it has just progressed and evolved.

Samui is a cracking little island. Who cares about a little more trafic, a few more tourists and a few bad roads?

Exactly. Yes it isn't as pristine or "perfect" as it once was, but it has many benefits that were not previously there. Very good hospital service for one, excellent supermarkets for another, banking service, internet access, I could go on and on. Conversely, I could go on and on with negatives. It is what it is, it's still a nice island. I was on the Phuket forum where they were talking about what a shit-hole Samui is. I have spent a lot of time on Phuket and IMO, it has nothing on Samui other than being several hundred baht cheaper on airline tickets. Factor in the cost of going to the airport there, hassle, etc. and even that small advantage is discounted.

ugly tourist trap...

The roads are disgusting, the terrible stench of sewage when it rains and floods.

As someone who first visited Samui some 20 years ago I have seen the changes not all bad some very good.

What does amaze me when I read some of the postings on this board is all the negative comments from people that live here.

There are two ferry companies and one airline if you really feel there is nothing good about Samui then go don't just sit there complaining all the time. No-one is forcing you to stay!

ugly tourist trap...

Point Taken my Good Man, As I said just a Humble opinion

I was merely stateing fact but I take your Point..

ugly tourist trap...

L.B.Duck is someone that tells it AS IT IS , thanks dude! And I AGREE in some things you say.

Edited by SamuiJens

ha

Well then, since you are painting with such a broad brush, the answer would be a very arbitrary yes and no. Is traffic, amount of tourists, etc., worse than 5 years ago? Yes. Are medical facilities, shopping outlets, and entertainment possibilities better than 5 years ago? IMO, yes. Samui is developing, with development comes the benefits and the problems. BTW, no need to shout at me in your response, I was politely asking for clarifacation.

SORRY, didn't mean to, Stevie. And on your later post, good point, as It's still the some of the best of Thailand.

Edited by SamuiJens

ugly tourist trap...[/i]

IMHO, sad! But some how your not getting, LBD's point. And with progress come SAFE roads, NOT just safe DISCO'S. IMHO. :o

Edited by SamuiJens

Lots of changes, but not all of the changes have been progress--on Samui and elsewhere in Thailand.

I feel very lucky to have visited Samui twice in 1982-3. While I am sure there are nice areas and aspects, what I have read on the forum about the problems with garbage, crime, traffic, bars, over development,and inappropriate development, etc. sounds pretty depressing if you compare it to what it once was. I know, I know, you can't roll back the clock, but still...

No, MARK, I LIVE there!

I live here too, but this is a resort island. Tourists are part of the deal. I bet you were one once before you stayed.

EVERY place will grow. It's the way of the world.

(edited for quotes)

Yes, but growing does not have to mean the destruction of every thing that brought us here in the first place.

In my opinion, if you could cut Samui down the middle from north to south and let the right hand side float away you will be left with a lovely island.

Yes I do know where the airport and ferry is and I have booked my escape ticket.

And I also like Ducks and Side Show Bob.

ugly tourist trap...[/i]

IMHO, sad! But some how your not getting, LBD's point. And with progress come SAFE roads, NOT just safe DISCO'S. IMHO. :o

What, in particular is sad, Jens? My opinion? Care to elaborate? Also, please KILL THE CAPS, ITS BLOODY IRITATING AND CONVEYS ANGER ok my friend? I do appreciate his point; samui has changed in 20 years. Well, hello Jens!! 20 years of tourism and the place isnt going to change? Its a good point LBD makes, but it is not relavent to you OP.

Lots of changes, but not all of the changes have been progress--on Samui and elsewhere in Thailand.

I feel very lucky to have visited Samui twice in 1982-3. While I am sure there are nice areas and aspects, what I have read on the forum about the problems with garbage, crime, traffic, bars, over development,and inappropriate development, etc. sounds pretty depressing if you compare it to what it once was. I know, I know, you can't roll back the clock, but still...

Try not to pay too much attention to the bad press on this forum. Its funny, actualy, that people who holiday on Smaui love the place, but most of the people that complain, live on the island. Unfortunatley, most holiday makers do not use this forum.

No, MARK, I LIVE there!

I live here too, but this is a resort island. Tourists are part of the deal. I bet you were one once before you stayed.

(edited for quotes)

Yes, but growing does not have to mean the destruction of every thing that brought us here in the first place.

It does not mean the destruction of everything. It means as a consiquence to some of it. Are you suggesting that the island, as a whole, and everything in it, is a complete dump owing to progression?

ugly tourist trap...[/i]

What, in particular is sad, Jens? My opinion? Care to elaborate? Also, please KILL THE CAPS, ITS BLOODY IRITATING AND CONVEYS ANGER ok my friend? I do appreciate his point; samui has changed in 20 years. Well, hello Jens!! 20 years of tourism and the place isnt going to change? Its a good point LBD makes, but it is not relavent to you OP.

Try not to pay too much attention to the bad press on this forum. Its funny, actualy, that people who holiday on Smaui love the place, but most of the people that complain, live on the island. Unfortunatley, most holiday makers do not use this forum.

No, MARK, I LIVE there!

(edited for quotes)

It does not mean the destruction of everything. It means as a consiquence to some of it. Are you suggesting that the island, as a whole, and everything in it, is a complete dump owing to progression?

Progression ????

Meatgrowler. I like you and you usually talk a lot of sense, but you do not live here full time. Comming here for holidays is great. Living here full time ,if you do not rely on it for running a business is not so good. Try living here with non stop building noise 24/7 for months on end. Dreadful roads and driving. Greedy and unfriendly Thais. (most are not locals) High prices for most things. Weekly power cuts. I am qualified to say all this as I am getting out in a couple of months.

Great for holidays , but living with a family , not so good.

As I said before , Samui still has some beautiful spots in the south and west, but for how long?

why dya ome back then?

Sorry meat, can't understand you're spelling. :o

Otherwise great feedback from others.

Edited by SamuiJens

Lite Beer.... yes, progression. Something wrong with my spelling? I truly can not be bothered to spell check. You get the point.

Jens.... Thank you, for once, not biting my head off! We have two different views obviously, although I in turn do of course respect your opinions also. It would be dull if we all agreed i suppose.

Lite Beer.... yes, progression. Something wrong with my spelling? I truly can not be bothered to spell check. You get the point.

Jens.... Thank you, for once, not biting my head off! We have two different views obviously, although I in turn do of course respect your opinions also. It would be dull if we all agreed i suppose.

Right On!